• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
After checking some profiles from the Baki series I noticed that quite a few characters have their speed scaled to High Hypersonic+ because of a statement made by Kaku Kaioh where he supposedly claims that Hitless Blow can reach speeds of “1000 miles per minute”. However, this statement is a mistranslation, Kaku wasn’t really talking about “miles per minute”, but about joints, here I found the original scan of this statement
bUQOkCU.jpeg

Where Kaku says:
加速のための関節などいくらでも増やせる。
百でも千でも、なんぼでも。

If we paste this into the Google translator, we can see that Kaku was actually saying:
“You can add as many joints as you like for acceleration.
One hundred, one thousand, whatever.”
SfHznM9.png

DeepL shows pretty much the same translation.
GlXW3VN.png

The japanese dub of the anime also supports these previous translations as we can clearly hear Kaku saying:
“Kasoku no tame no kansetsu nado ikurademo fuyaseru. Hyaku demo sen demo, nanbo demo”.
Which perfectly matches the rōmaji seen in the translation made by Google’s translator, and I kind of doubt that professional japanese dubbers could get their own language wrong.

In summary, the High Hypersonic+ statement is a mistranslation and should be removed from the characters’ profiles.

Also, the Grapper Baki page doesn’t quotes many speed calculations nor does most characters’ profiles, the highest speed calc is a SS+ feat from Yujiro, although I think remembering a Hypersonic and a Hypersonic+ calc, but I don’t have the links at the moment.

Edit: I got a total of three real humans to also translate the manga, and all of their individual translations match the translations obtained by MTLs. The translations can be found here, here and here.

Last edited:
The japanese dub of the anime says the exact same thing as the Google translator, not the mention Kaku's words never mention anything about miles, minutes and let alone miles per minute.
The Japanese dub can go to the deep dark depths of "doesn't matter", get an actual human translator in here to translate the manga.

The Japanese dub can go to the deep dark depths of "doesn't matter", get an actual human translator in here to translate the manga.
Huh? You mean that the japanese dub made by profesional native japanese speakers (which was also supervised by the author of the manga) perfectly matching the translation made by Google translator doesn't matters? That kind of doesn't sounds reasonable.
Like, Kaku's words don't even remotely resemble anything similar to "miles per minute". How can you trust so much the translation from fan you don't even know in the first place? Do you actually know if the person who did the unofficial translation of the manga was an actual japanese speaker or that he/she didn't used MTL?

If you don't trust me, you can try the DeepL translation, that translator gives several translation options for every word/character you input, you can try them all and combine them whichever way you want, but none of them says anything like "miles per minute".

Last edited:
Huh? You mean that the japanese dub made by profesional native japanese speakers (which was also supervised by the author of the manga) perfectly matching the translation made by Google translator doesn't matters? That kind of doesn't sounds reasonable.
Like, Kaku's words don't even remotely resemble anything like "miles per minute". How can you trust so much the translation from fan you don't even know in the first place? Do you actually know if the person who did the unofficial translation of the manga was an actual japanese speaker or that he/she didn't used MTL?
Hence why we have translators here on the wiki. So yes, you have the scan in Japanese,(the manga one) get it translated here. The Anime is and always will be a secondary source and if something in it is contradicted the anime falls to the wayside in favor of the manga.
If you don't trust me, you can try the DeepL translation, that translator gives several translation options for every word/character you input, you can try them all and combine them whichever way you want, but none of them says anything like "miles per minute".
Yeah, guess what also is explicitly mentioned in the not allowed list? DeepL. 0 machine translators are allowed here. We have literally deleted two entire verses for using it.

Hence why we have translators here on the wiki. So yes, you have the scan in Japanese,(the manga one) get it translated here. The Anime is and always will be a secondary source and if something in it is contradicted the anime falls to the wayside in favor of the manga.
So, the unofficial translation of the manga that was made by a random unknown fan takes precedence over the official japanese dub made by professional native japanese speakers? Mind if I ask how does that makes sense?
I'm not denying that the manga takes precedence over the anime, but here we are not talking about the manga itself, but a fandub that a random dude uploaded to the internet, does that also takes precedence over the official dub? If so, why? If there happened to be another fandub that contradicts the prior, which one would take precedence and why?
Also, how can you trust so much the translation from fan you don't even know in the first place? Do you actually know if the person who did the unofficial translation of the manga was an actual japanese speaker or that he/she didn't used a MTL?

Yeah, guess what also is explicitly mentioned in the not allowed list? DeepL
I think you're missing the point, what I meant is that no matter what translation option you pick or combination you make (that's virtually any kind of translation a human being can make), Kaku's words simply do not mention anything about "miles per minute", it simply is not there. If the fandub is correct, it should show a bare minimum of similarity to the translation from Google or DeepL, but it doesn't.

But ok, I'll try to get a Translation Helper to translate the manga panel over here.

So, the unofficial translation of the manga that was made by a random unknown fan takes precedence over the official japanese dub made by professional native japanese speakers? Mind if I ask how does that makes sense?
I'm not denying that the manga takes precedence over the anime, but here we are not talking about the manga itself, but a fandub that a random dude uploaded to the internet, does that also takes precedence over the official dub? If so, why? If there happened to be another fandub that contradicts the prior, which one would take precedence and why?
Also, how can you trust so much the translation from fan you don't even know in the first place? Do you actually know if the person who did the unofficial translation of the manga was an actual japanese speaker or that he/she didn't used a MTL?
No, what takes precedence is you taking that scan, going to this lovely thread below, and getting some of our on-site japanese translators to translate it
I don't care about the unofficial translation, I care about the MTL being used here and how to change that. Don't take my stern eye for thinking the alternative on-hand translation is competent.
I think you're missing the point, what I meant is that no matter what translation option you pick or combination you make (that's virtually any kind of translation a human being can make), Kaku's words simply do not mention anything about "miles per minute", it simply is not there. If the fandub is correct, it should show a bare minimum of similarity to the translation from Google or DeepL, but it doesn't.

But ok, I'll try to get a Translation Helper to translate the manga panel over here.
I never contested that my dude, you have some strange thinking that I'm into Baki, I click and read threads at random, and so I saw the MTL and said "nah"

No, what takes precedence is you taking that scan, going to this lovely thread below, and getting some of our on-site japanese translators to translate it
Thanks for the reply, you could have started by that.

I never contested that my dude, you have some strange thinking that I'm into Baki, I click and read threads at random, and so I saw the MTL and said "nah"
And I never implied you denied that, nor did I suggest you like Baki.

By the way, there are only 3 japanese translation helpers (or so it says the VSB Staff page), and only one of them is still active, so getting an "official" translation will probably take a while. However, quoting Antvasima:
It should be noted that if the official translation exists, generally it is prioritized over fan translations. Refrain from making requests for things that are already officially translated.
Since the anime is the closest thing we currently have to an official translation, it should take precedence over the fan translation, at least until we get an official translation for the manga. Therefore, nothing really changes, the fan translation is still wrong and the High HS+ ranking should be removed.
The fan translation has also been shown to be unreliable as it doesn’t remotely match the MTLs regardless.

I’m also curious, why is Antvasima linking MTLs if they aren’t allowed?

Thanks for the reply, you could have started by that.

And I never implied you denied that, nor did I suggest you like Baki.

By the way, there are only 3 japanese translation helpers (or so it says the VSB Staff page), and only one of them is still active, so getting an "official" translation will probably take a while. However, quoting Antvasima:
“It should be noted that if the official translation exists, generally it is prioritized over fan translations. Refrain from making requests for things that are already officially translated”.
Since the anime is the closest thing we currently have to an official translation, it should take precedence over the fan translation, at least until we get an official translation for the manga. Therefore, nothing really changes, the fan translation is still wrong and the High HS+ ranking should be removed.
The fan translation has also been shown to be unreliable as it doesn’t remotely match the MTLs regardless.

I’m also curious, why is Antvasima linking MTLs if they aren’t allowed?
Because Ant either miswrote it or you're misunderstanding it

Because Ant either miswrote it or you're misunderstanding it
Well, he says the following:
Here are links to some image text extraction and translation sites that together should be useful for helping you with translating more straightforward raw scans on your own:
Why linking MTLs so that people can make their "own" translations if that isn't allowed? It'd pointless.

Well, he says the following:

Why linking MTLs so that people can make their "own" translations if that isn't allowed? It'd pointless.

I have no idea when verses such as this got completely wiped out for being MTL

For the record, I got two human translators to check the scan from the manga, and their translations agree with the translations obtained by DeepL and Google.
Here
LKG8qHt.png

and here
cmYqrIx.png

The first one came from the Official Translation Requests Thread, and the second one is from a member on this list.

For the record, I got two human translators to check the scan from the manga, and their translations agree with the translations obtained by DeepL and Google.
Here
LKG8qHt.png

and here
cmYqrIx.png

The first one came from the Official Translation Requests Thread, and the second one is from a member on this list.
Seems valid to me as far as I can tell.

Back