• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A call for peace in this community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

I and AKM sama just want to give a peaceful reminder that we all need to stop taking out our frustrations about the bad state of the world on other people in this community, whether in the forum, or more commonly Discord chat rooms, because of which lots of productive, helpful and highly valuable members are quitting in frustration.

We are very sorry to see these members leave. We respect their decisions for leaving if they have personal reasons, because we know that the real world is awful right now, but still wish that all who have left or are thinking of leaving out of frustration or other related reasons, would all please reconsider and help make this community improve from its faults, as we think that we have all made a great effort to build something valuable here over the years, despite all of the hard times and drama that have been thrown upon us.

People come here to relax and have fun away from the intense toxicity of the real world, and if all they are met with is more toxicity, they are not exactly encouraged to stay and help out. This place should be somewhere to relax, have fun, and not take too seriously, as the world is under tremendous stress right now, and we all need somewhere safe where we are not nasty and mean to each other, because the situation in the world at large is not looking to get better anytime soon.

As such, we all need to take responsibility to try to be nicer to each other, including in the Discord chats and similar. Basically, please stop acting in ways that make our community members start to resent or even hate each other anywhere that you interact with them, and we should do our best to discourage such behavior from others.

We would also personally suggest that the moderators of Discord chats that mostly have members of this forum do their best to keep the peace there and not allow any considerable toxicity, as other members will not forget as soon as they visit the forum the next time.

The staff as a whole comprises some dozen people, and most of them have consistently made a great effort to do their very best to help this community in many different ways, so the ongoing resentment towards the staff as a whole, as if they are some kind of hivemind, is unwarranted and needs to stop. Just please try to accept that staff members are not remotely perfect, but most of them are trying hard to help, which is all that can be demanded of them.

In addition, the few members (be it regular or staff) that are acting in a repeated toxic and/or confrontational manner need to permanently stop immediately. Now is definitely not the right time at all for instigating any drama and resentment. If you do not comply, the rest of the staff might need to take action in lack of better options.

Also, we have been told that some members are creating content revision threads out of spite or extreme bias, to significantly reduce or increase statistics strictly because the dislike or extremely favour a certain verse, or want some versus thread results removed. This also needs to stop, as it is very damaging for the wiki. We all need to take responsibility to strive for accuracy and reliability, or the entire point of this ongoing project is severely undermined.

That is all. We hope that you will all do your best to stay safe and please take care of yourselves.

Peace.jpg

Last edited:
Some people just need to REALLY chill out, all I got to say. That way it's going to be better.

The wiki's just for fun. It's a place that is pretty much meant to be devoid of toxicity, no need to be so tense and mad about fictional character's statistics, even going as far as to make some shitty conspiracies to make downgrade or upgrade some characters. Nothing's hard about having some distance and being polite. I hope more people realize this.

Last edited:
I've only been on the FCOC side of things recently.
Sometimes I appreciate how dead quiet things can be there sometimes.
I have no idea what spurred this on but if its as bad as described some of y'all gotta go outside, get some fresh air, or (considering COVID) at least learn to take breaks before things get heated.
Admins shouldn't have to be watch dogging servers or sites they have little to nothing to do with because of how you act.
You'll find life outside rating fictional characters can be pretty relaxing.

I usually have a pretty hard time managing my anger (especially with my Pokémon Physiology page getting ignored 24/7) but I try to keep it out of VSBW and instead direct it towards the fans of rival franchises.

We would also personally suggest that the moderators of Discord chats that mostly have members of this forum do their best to keep the peace there and not allow any considerable toxicity, as other members will not forget as soon as they visit the forum the next time.
This.

I still use these discords and it's immensely frustrating that there has been more of a response from what's supposed to be an unassociated site than there has been actual action taken by the discord mods there.

This is a good message to send at a time like this. The past year has been incredibly stressful for most people, and it'll likely not get better any time soon. As with so many hobbies, this website should be a form of escapism; a satisfying way to think about something other than the stresses of life every once in a while. Drama, and it's associated stresses, are unfortunately not just going to disappear forever. But we should all make an effort to make this wiki a friendly and hospitable place for anyone trying to get away from the stresses of life, and I'd argue that a large part of the reason why so many people are leaving is because of a failure to do this.

I totally agree with this sentiment.With the world not being in such a good state right now and members leaving left and right from the wiki,its better to keep this community respectful and maintain a peaceful environment as people come here argue in their free time and it can get aggravating to them if the environment is toxic and unproductive.Everyone should relax once in a while and remember that its just fictional debate(Applies even to me who takes it way too seriously).Appreciate the efforts for making this thread.

I'm late to this, but I agree striving for the peace and freedom for the wiki is what needs to be strived for. There has been too much drama going on in all corners with many sides at fault. Instead of trying handle bunch of revisions all at once, we should all be trying to enjoy things we like and trying better out lives. And we should also be trying to be in contact with both those we meet, those we've met a long time ago, and even in some cases, those we've been feeling separated from.

During tough times like these, I've been trying to enjoy reliving my childhood with SNES classics on my Nintendo Switch. And also having some casual conversations with friends I haven't made contact with in ages, listening to music, eating some healthy food, and going for nature walks also helps to ease stress. And other things that help also include playing with animals, especially petting dogs.

I mean, there is social distancing, but there are alternatives to feel close to others. There could be nice conversations privately going on, or just trying to get comfortable at home during stressful times. This meme should probably help with the idea.

ea193c08875fedd14918fb16163a8c3e.jpg

It’s crazy how so many people can get so angry about the strength of fictional characters...
It really isn't once you've been around the block a while.

Look at every battleboarding community and how heated many of their arguments can get. Look at Death Battle and how many horrific comments, videos and even blogs they get in response whenever they put out a result that their fans don't like. (Which is practically every other month or so at this point) Look at how many trolls show up in Discord servers owned by fiction-debating YouTubers whose opinions have gained them reputations (of varying description) across the net. Look at every DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, et cetera debate thread you'll find on practically any website you've heard of. Look at people like BeyonderGod and DReager in their entirety.

This is standard fare for VS debating as a whole. We're just particularly ******* terrible at dealing with it, because we have numerous systematic problems and longstanding grudges that exacerbate it at every turn.

I'm not going to ruin this thread by going too deep into this line of conversation, because experience has taught me that it never ends well for anyone involved.

All I know is, if anyone can genuinely think that after the things that have happened on this site over the years, then the persisting problems we have running through this community aren't the public knowledge that I thought they were...

Want my advice? If you're venting your frustrations out here too often, you might want to take a step back and dabble in other hobbies for awhile. This is one of those hobbies that can feel like a job, so taking a break is perfectly acceptable. It's done wonders for me.

Quite a lot of people quit from the community, and some of them were quite upset. Partially due to legitimate reasons and partially due to misunderstandings.

Well, to my perspective we have just been continuing with the everyday routines and maintenance work as usual, but there was some drama that needed to be addressed.

Anyway, it is inappropriate that we continue to potentially cause more of it here, so perhaps it is time for us to close this thread?

Quite a lot of people quit from the community, and some of them were quite upset. Partially due to legitimate reasons and partially due to misunderstandings.
Yeah, found the threads. A shame, really. I do understand their positions, as I take my fair share of breaks from the wiki from time to time, but would've certainly preferred if they could've tried to amend things. Alas.

Still, we should all always remember that everyone has different perspectives for virtually all aspects of life, and we should strive to at least trying to understand them, even when we don't agree with them. I certainly don't agree with many many things in the wiki, but I also understand that my opinions are different, and sometimes don't even have the most knowledge about certain verses, so I try to get acquainted with the stie stance, to understand why we rate some stuff how we do; to acknowledge that, even if I don't agree, I can see where they are coming from.

I believe that if more people tried to do that, to don't take a different perspective as a personal thing or even an attack to oneself (though a gross overgeneralization on my part), we would have less confrontation among users.

It's all about trying to understand each other. That's why I still come to the site. That's why I love this site, in fact. To try and approach things from a different perspective.

Well, to my perspective we have just been continuing with the everyday routines and maintenance work as usual, but there was some drama that needed to be addressed.

Anyway, it is inappropriate that we continue to potentially cause more of it here, so perhaps it is time for us to close this thread?
It is best in order to avoid any continuation of it, yeah. But at least got to say my piece. xP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back