• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Company categories

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

Given that the VS Battles wiki will likely be updated to the UCP system tomorrow, and the Mass Categorization script has not been properly converted to that format yet, I checked through my wiki to-do list, and found this:

"I do not think that it seems like a good idea to add a Nintendo category to characters in games featured in Nintendo consoles. It seems better to use that as an over-category for the Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros., etcetera categories themselves for the sake of proper indexation and organisation. The same goes for all other company categories. "

Would it be acceptable if we simply use the company categories for verse pages and verse categories of franchises owned by the companies in question instead? At least unless that is what the "containing verses" are called as well, as is the case with Disney for Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Aladdin, The Lion King, etcetera.

I think that it would greatly help with our organisation, and it avoids that we have to add unnecessry company categories to most of our characters in the long run.

Take note that we would be in a hurry to get this done though, but AKM sama seems willing to volunteer to help out if it is accepted.

Last edited:
Unless it's a franchise property I agree with removing the tag from profiles that just happen to be on a Nintendo console.

I had just assumed this was already in practice, unless I'm misunderstanding something. Regardless, this is fine.

This is fine with me.

I dislike seeing numerous character flood a "company category".

Since this has been accepted, are you willing to start with the revision @AKM sama ? There isn't much time left before the UCP upgrade sometime tomorrow or the day after that though, so I would appreciate help from @Elizhaa , @Promestein , @Amelia_Lonelyheart , and content moderators as well.

Yeah, it also makes more sense to me to limit it to Nintendo IPs and not just everyone who has had stuff on their consoles.

I agree that only Nintendo published characters should get the Nintendo category, not characters who happen to appear on a Nintendo console or whose game was exclusive to a Nintendo console. Same goes for Sony, Microsoft, or Sega. It should be similar to how Square Enix, Activision or Rare characters are treated.. It's for characters of First party published works. Characters from Third parties should only be categorized based on what company made their games and not the company of the consoles they appear on.

Thank you for the support everybody.

Back