• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about our upcoming forum migration - 2

If that text also appears for the other two Wiki's since the same forum is gonna be used then I think it's not all that fitting.

Good point. Although the main title for the page will likely be the VS Battles Forum or VS Battles Wiki Forum, in order to get more visitors.

Fandom is significantly upgrading its system software, and given that our forum runs on old and flawed code, it will unfortunately automatically disappear in the process.

Antvasima said:
Good point. Although the main title for the page will likely be the VS Battles Forum or VS Battles Wiki Forum, in order to get more visitors.
Just keep it as VS Battles Forum TBH, that way it won't be as specific and more easily pop up when looking it up or similar things.

Is it confirmed that we will be backing up the forums a second time? If so can some of the concluded versus threads in this period be added to profiles?

I haven't received a confirmation yet, no. I am unfortunately still waiting. My apologies.

I'm probably not reading this right but out of curious thought, basically everything from before April 15th is saved right? Meaning anything beyond that point is not saved and won't be exported to the new forum?

It's probably safe to assume that the move time could have doubled due to a need for a second back-up, so the forum move could potentially reach halfway into May, so assume you won't be able to make major revisions until then, that way it'll be a pleasant surprise if the move happens earlier

I have an important update:

Fandom has sent the missing information for the 3 forum backups to Community Hired (the company that is setting up our new forum), so they should hopefully be able to use that to fix the previous conversion.

However, this would mean that no discussions after April 14 will be saved to the new forum after all.

As such, if there have been important discussions here afterwards, it is probably good to save them via our wiki page export function, so we can retrieve relevant information afterwards:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Export

Also, I have received a list of the VS Battles wiki members with over 100 edits who do not have a confirmed email address. I will contact them soon about setting one up if they haven't deactivated their accounts.

Hmm. The export function did not seem to work properly when I tried to use it. I suppose that you will have to save the pages in html format via the regular browser save function instead.

Didn't work for me either, when I tried it myself in my outlier wiki it just said "no pages to import" (although my wiki does not have a forum).

We cannot upload pages saved this way to the new forum as regular discussions, but we can at least link to the information as external files, so other members can read through any important conclusions that we made afterwards, so we do not entirely have to start all over again.

I do not think that Fandom likes if we upload other files than images to the wiki btw. Should I delete what you uploaded?

I do not know. They might think that the file contains a virus or is illegal if it is not an image file.

Okay.

Does anybody know of some reliable external archive where we can upload the PDF files for important content revision discussions?

That should also work, yes. Good idea.

Yes. Thank you for helping out.

A test version of the new forum has now been installed, and the errors that I mentioned previously thankfully seem to have been dealt with.

I have reported a few new errors to Community Hired via email though. The VS Battles forum files seem to have been converted perfectly, or at least I don't notice any errors, but the Joke Battles and FCOC sections have several threads with completely random posts in them, and the redirect links don't seem to have been fully activated yet.

NoGround is our Wiki Manager. Technically the highest ranked member in the wiki, but he mostly lets us organise things on our own without interfering.

Antvasima said:
NoGround is our Wiki Manager. Technically the highest ranked member in the wiki, but he mostly lets us organise things on our own without interfering.
I really don't wanna derail, in fact I can delete this is if you want but...

How high do the rankings go?

Up to the CEO of Fandom and his board of directors presumably. They are the ones who actually own the wiki. I just organised its growth and help to keep it functioning properly.

Back