• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Intelligence feat and Artistic License

I have gained Antvasima's permission to post this.

1. Reason to start the discussion
The problem has comes to my mind when making some profiles from Zheng Yuanjie (Verse), Arknights and Kaitou Rousseau. The problem is not uncommon in fictional verses and the problem will greatly affect profiles and vs debates.

2. Detail of the problem
Zheng Yuanjie (Verse) and Arknights is a type of Artistic License: Without intention. In verses like Zheng Yuanjie (Verse) and Arknights, there are some descriptions regarding the character made social interaction decision which are stated or implied as having outstanding intelligence in-universe. In this case (especially the latter), such feats may be compared to the real world and the conclusion that "the author don't know XXX; the author has extreme view about XXX" may appear. (XXX, in Zheng Yuanjie (Verse) and Arknights' case, is politics, the arguably most controversial topic in RL) Different people have different views. (The author is one of the "people") In a word, it is "smart in the concept book, stupid/not-so-smart in the actual feats".

Kaitou Rousseau is another type of Artistic License: With intention. The protagonist has the abilities of disguise: drawing something in his mask, put the mask in his face and he will successfully disguise as the thing he drawn. Despite the drawing in his mask is poor in out-universe view and his clothes are completely not under any disguise, his disguise has successfully tricked every person (including police and face recognition systems) in-universe. (When the protagonist draws a bald person in the mask, the bald part of the mask can somewhat reflect the light. When the protagonist draws a wall in the mask, he is completely unseen as people only see a wall) In his verse, he is definitely good at stealth. But when he uses such method in an attempt to trick another combatant, should the obvious exposed part being noticed or not?

Then, here is the question: should we follow in-universe description or out-universe in such cases and (most importantly) should we equalized the feats?

3. My Suggestion
In-universe logic first.

I'm not good at English so it may be somewhat hard to understand.

Back