• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Matches With Restricted "Possibly" Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think likely/possibly ratings should be allowed by default in any match. Obviously OP should be able to restrict them. If it is listed on the profile, which is the primary focus of this site, then I see no reason why it shouldn't be used in matches, that are secondary focus. If anything, such ratings should be removed from the pages itself if people feel they are too hypothetical, because accuracy of our pages is more important than the accuracy of matches.

And on that, I agree with Zark. Sometimes people use such ratings liberally, so I wouldn't mind if we make our standards for that stricter.

"Likely" and "Possibly" shouldn't mean a character "hypothetically" has a power. There's evidence for the power, but there's also a degree of doubt about it. If people misuse those ratings to push for abilities that a character shouldn't really have, then that's where the problem is.

I agree with AKM largely; they should be assumed by default but can also be restricted by the OP.

Bumping now that the possibly/likely definitions have been revised.

Same. They are fine to assume for SBA but can be restricted if OP wants.

So have we reached a conclusion here then?

Allow all abilities by default: 3 (Warren Valion, AKM sama, GyroNutz)

Allow only likely abilities by default: 2 (DontTalkDT*, The Imp-Ress)

Allow neither likely nor possibly abilities by default: 1 (Dargoo Faust**)

Don't Care: 1 (The Wright Way)

*DT would prefer to only include possibly, but that would mean constant bargaining over whether something could be listed as "likely" instead, so he thinks it may be better to allow all abilities

**Dargoo also believes that, beyond not being assumed under SBA, matches with such abilities or ratings should not be added to profiles at all.
That's my earlier summary. I think with DT's caveat we might even be able to round that out to 4-1-1, a clear consensus for allowing all abilities by default, and allowing possibly/likely abilities to be restricted.

Assuming we get no more input, that is.

I think with DT's caveat we might even be able to round that out to 4-1-1, a clear consensus for allowing all abilities by default, and allowing possibly/likely abilities to be restricted.
I mean, to be fair, I'd much rather prefer that Zark's proposal go through than just having SBA specify ratings we ourselves admit are less likely to be true than the given ratings on the profile.

Mark me down for both if it's literally just coming down to a vote, and me having a slightly different opinion than Zark making it seem like the first option has some kind of overwhelming lead is pretty dumb, IMO.

I've had zero arguments coming back my way in relation to these ratings counting as "versions" of characters when they clearly aren't, too.

Even 4-2 sounds fairly decisive, but if you want more arguments then fair enough.

This is an entirely subjective topic, mate. I don't particularly have to agree with your interpretation because I don't find your semantics appeal to me.

So yeah, this is up for vote.

A subjective topic can still be discussed and debated, clearly. Throwing a vote out when arguments haven't really been thoughroughly laid out is pretty hasty and doesn't give the staff members not directly participating in this discussion any avenue to grasp the points either side is making.

I don't care about it going up to a vote, but calling a barely-debated thread with 6 out of however many of our staff members even voting a landslide victory for one side is pretty reckless.

It's not a "landslide victory", but unless you can get more staff members to input, we're working with what we have :V

I did only say it was a "clear consensus" unless we got some more votes :v

Should I ask all of our remaining bureaucrats, administrators, and discussion moderators to come here and provide input?

That could help. Or if that would be too many people, you could try focusing on those with an interest in vs threads if you know who they are.

I do not know. Sorry.

Feel free to list the staff members that you think that I should contact below.

I'm not sure either, sorry.

At this point I'd either contact all or a randomized portion (say, every 2nd listed on the staff page).

Well we already assume strongest version of the character, so I'm fine with assuming likely/possibly abilities being SBA. With the OP being able to restrict them freely without impacting the validity of the match of course.

Yeah, if the OP wants to limit them its still a valid match as long as it only applies to those abilites. So I'm all for Talk's suggestion.

If it is a Probably, then I think it is fine to make an assumption to either allow it or not. This sounds reasonable.

I believe the standard should allow them [Possibly and Likely stuff] and that when restricting and adding the match we should write that "some abilities/stats under "Possibly" were restricted", at least when that's the case with many of them. That way people will notice the match was somewhat unusual and look up its description if they feel like it.
I stand by the same.

Oh, to clarify, I do believe we should assume all to be active. "Likely" and "Possibly" are rather poorly defined in comparison to each other anyways, so creating a tangible difference that matters between them is quite dubious imo.

Possibly abilities should be restrictable, yes.

EDIT: And, yes, they should be on by default. But if they are restricted the match should, by all means, be considered valid.

So do we have enough input here to form a coherent conclusion?

I think we do, but we could wait for Dargoo once again.
Not everyone was ultra-clear, so here's my best try at summarizing people's opinions from the thread

Allow all abilities by default: 7 (Warren Valion, AKM sama, GyroNutz, Ogbunabali, Moritzva, Elizhaa, Mr. Bambu)

Allow only likely abilities by default: 2 (DontTalkDT*, The Imp-Ress)

Allow neither likely nor possibly abilities by default: 2 (Dargoo Faust**, Antoniofer)

*DT would prefer to only include possibly, but that would mean constant bargaining over whether something could be listed as "likely" instead, so he thinks it may be better to allow all abilities

**Dargoo also believes that, beyond not being assumed under SBA, matches with such abilities or ratings should not be added to profiles at all.

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with Dargoo too and simply not add any speculated power, as I believe they exist do misunderstanding and lack of proof.

I apologize but I don't believe I'm useful for this topic since I don't participates in debates concerning fictional characters fighting each other nor do I know the rules. If I have to contribute, I say that maybe stats that are skeptical shouldn't be use?

That's.... kinda a weird thing for a Discussion Mod not to know seeing how much of the site revolves around it. Like, yeah, this site is supposed to be for indexing etc etc. but the main draw for a lot of people is the vs debating stuff.

Anyways, the lack of validity regarding likely or possibly stats concern was addressed in a different thread, so I suggest anyone just chiming in now to read that one first. I believe Agnaa linked it above.

I think we do, but we could wait for Dargoo once again.

You didn't include Qaw agreeing with DontTalk there.

Allow all abilities by default: 7 (Warren Valion, AKM sama, GyroNutz, Ogbunabali, Moritzva, Elizhaa, Mr. Bambu)

Allow only likely abilities by default: 4 (DontTalkDT*, The Imp-Ress, Sir Ovens, Qawsedf234*)

Allow neither likely nor possibly abilities by default: 2 (Dargoo Faust**, Antoniofer)

Which gives us a total of 7-6 votes if we group the "neither" with the "likely" party since they both basically agree on that front. It seems very close and I think we should wait for more staff to comment.

My bad, I got lazy, I've fixed it.

@The_Impress I think Dargoo's point is fair since y'all would at least not want "possibly" to not be accepted. I think it's somewhat unfair to consider them all completely separate like that, I'd rather group them with their closest neighbours.

That's.... kinda a weird thing for a Discussion Mod not to know seeing how much of the site revolves around it. Like, yeah, this site is supposed to be for indexing etc etc. but the main draw for a lot of people is the vs debating stuff.
Well, as you said, this site is mainly for indexing purposes. I am also mostly clueless about the versus threads part of what we do.

Would also be for defaulting to the likely/possibly tiers, also we've kinda already been doing that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back