• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Reference tags?

Of all the many wikis I have seen across the Internet over the years, this remains the one and only that does not properly provide sources and references in its articles, which can become very problematic when outrageous claims are presented or if the entire text is crammed with links. I believe it would be much more effective, comprehensive, and visually pleasing to simply add reference tags and a reflist template in the same manner as literally every other wiki.

I understand that all pages can not be edited to live up to this standard, but I wonder if I could at least provide reference tags and a reflist template in the pages I create, or if this would interfere with the wiki's intended format?

Some pages, notably comic book ones, do that (not only those I linked), as it was decided in a wiki-wide CRT, but it wasn't applied to every profile.

Personally, in "my" small verses, I put bigger references in the verse page, but I will make some comic book characters profiles in the future and I will use the other format for them.

I never thought about the lack of reference tags on a lot of pages on this wiki....

Some pages, notably comic book ones, do that (not only those I linked), as it was decided in a wiki-wide CRT, but it wasn't applied to every profile.

Personally, in "my" small verses, I put bigger references in the verse page, but I will make some comic book characters profiles in the future and I will use the other format for them.
I won't lie I feel immense satisfaction that both examples for pages that use citations are ones for which I did them

Reference lists are accepted, encouraged even. It's just not a mandatory thing for most verses.

Another example of a verse that does this would be Parahumans, where abilities are statements are sourced to the chapters and the lines of dialogue they come from.

Excellent. Thank you all for your replies. In the future I will make a point of always providing references in the articles I write (and perhaps add some to other pages as well), using proper wiki formatting. Hopefully this will uplift the quality of the articles somewhat.

Abstractions is correct. We do encourage use of references, but it has seldom been applied so far.

Anyway, thank you to everybody who are willing to help out in this regard.

Back