• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The My Little Pony comic book and cartoon continuities

I was saying merging the two just seems like it would make a ton of shit from one or the other end up subject to outlier standards. Wasn't saying anything about canon.

A strength discrepancy of trillions of times is absolutely the sort of thing that can make one installment not work within the context of another tho wym

I was saying merging the two just seems like it would make a ton of shit from one or the other end up subject to outlier standards. Wasn't saying anything about canon.
I mean, for one: There's only one scaleable feat to 4-A anyways, so it may or may not be one. You can't scale Twilight to Bookworm since she never fought with him and the 4-B feat is ludicrously casual anyways.
A strength discrepancy of trillions of times is absolutely the sort of thing that can make one installment not work within the context of another tho wym
Again, the comics that showcase such a feat would never be allowed to be published otherwise. They actively aren't allowed to break canon. By corporate standards; by which I mean the company that owns the canon, it clearly does work. And even then, we don't necessarily have to scale people to it. Outliers are a thing as you yourself brought up.

"and the 4-B feat is ludicrously casual anyways."
If I can extremely casually crack open a can of soda, requiring about one joule, is it reasonable for a punch from me to hit harder than a nuke? The 4-A calc used is 4.1281487e+15 times higher than the 4-B one. That many joules is Low 7-B compared to the 1 joule 10-C. It's a gigantic gap, despite only being one letter away.

"Again, the comics that showcase such a feat would never be allowed to be published otherwise."

Writers are often not mathematicians and don't bother to rigorously calc each feat, ending up with a position they may put themselves in where they accidentally make something way stronger than it should be and nobody catches it. Adding in multiple writers only enhances this, like what you'll get with marvel/dc and 40k where some people have wildly different ideas of where something goes or can write stuff that's secretly ridiculous.

Should I notify more staff members to help out here, and if so, which ones?

"and the 4-B feat is ludicrously casual anyways."
If I can extremely casually crack open a can of soda, requiring about one joule, is it reasonable for a punch from me to hit harder than a nuke? The 4-A calc used is 4.1281487e+15 times higher than the 4-B one. That many joules is Low 7-B compared to the 1 joule 10-C. It's a gigantic gap, despite only being one letter away.
To be fair, the top tiers can hold back their magic to the point where they don't liquidate a person when holding them down despite their 4-B stats. I don't think you can hold back your punches vs opening a soda can by that much. All I'm saying is there's an undefined upper limit, and they can probably hold back their magic more than you and I can our punches. But I'll concede here.
Writers are often not mathematicians and don't bother to rigorously calc each feat, ending up with a position they may put themselves in where they accidentally make something way stronger than it should be and nobody catches it. Adding in multiple writers only enhances this, like what you'll get with marvel/dc and 40k where some people have wildly different ideas of where something goes or can write stuff that's secretly ridiculous.
Like I mentioned: Only one feat is actually scaleable and could very well be an outlier in light of everything. It's not consistent, so who says we have to use it? Power can sometimes fluctuate (By accident or otherwise), and sometimes you wind up with one-off feats that go out the scale of the series that never happen again.

Last edited:
Should I notify more staff members to help out here, and if so, which ones?
Just tell me what you want specifically to be reworded. 4-A never should've been used in the first place with only one feat for it. I'm not even sure the feat is genuinely a starry sky feat anyway after re-reading the comic.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, the old wording regarding the cartoon overwriting the comic books can easily be interpreted as disqualifying by members and visitors who are not well-informed regarding the issue, or so I think, but I am not sure how exactly that we should improve and expand on it, and am open for suggestions.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, the old wording regarding the cartoon overwriting the comic books can easily be interpreted as disqualifying by members and visitors who are not well-informed regarding the issue, or so I think, but I am not sure how exactly that we should improve and expand on it, and am open for suggestions.
What if after posting the tweet, I mentioned: "This also gives the cartoon authority to directly or indirectly overwrite certain comic stories, thus only non-contradicted stories are included as part of the main canon." This makes it clear that we don't accept every single story arc and tells the viewer that it's ok for the cartoon to contradict things.

For me, I'm fine with leaving 'comics are canon until they contradict the show'.

Comics/novels/whatever are often directly mentioned in the show (Pinkie Pie and the Rockin' Ponypalooza Party!, FIENDship is Magic Issue 2, Legends of Magic) and with the amount of references the show pulls out to other media, I dunno why we don't consider the non-contradictory stuff canon since the show definitely does.

What if after posting the tweet, I mentioned: "This also gives the cartoon authority to directly or indirectly overwrite certain comic stories, thus only non-contradicted stories are included as part of the main canon." This makes it clear that we don't accept every single story arc and tells the viewer that it's ok for the cartoon to contradict things.
Well, it isn't a fireproof option, but I suppose that it is better than nothing.

Well, it isn't a fireproof option, but I suppose that it is better than nothing.
So, then can this be applied to the page? I've edited my sandbox accordingly. If any comics have feats too large for the verse, we can just label them as contradictory and not use them.

Since it sounds like stuff is ok to apply; but I'll hold my breath for now, I wanted to make suggestions for a couple of things.

Firstly: I wanted to say that the section for comic book characters is just fine. We have a section for Equestria Girls characters as well, so there's no need to remove it. We can list the comic book characters in that section. What I mostly wanted to do was remove the comic versions of Celestia and Discord from there. I see no point in keeping them given the circumstances. Accord can move to the main Discord profile since he's essentially an alter ego. We'd also have to get rid of 4-A naturally since it was only one time and qualifies as an outlier.

Secondly, I wanted to make a section that lists non-canon characters. This is for characters like Siege of the Crystal Empire Sombra and the Umbrum who don't fit within the canon and are considered contradictory. This is basically to separate comic characters that are counted as non-canon from the ones who are, but it would also include non-canon characters from contradictory chapter books.

This reminds me, that there are a couple of them. But, I'm not certain if we should make a section for chapter book characters. I'm not even sure if there are enough chapter book characters, but Phoenix might know, and I can always ask him. He seems to have a high knowledge of them. I know of exactly one for certain who has any notable feats/power scaling, but I'm not sure if one warrants an entire character section.

Last edited:
I am not sure. I would prefer more staff help.

I'm not sure if that is in reference to my first or second comment, but if we're talking about the former, it seems like it has a decent amount of support already. You at least find it workable, Amelia is in full agreement, Medeus thinks she makes sense. The only real issue brought up is 4-A scaling, which is an outlier by this point anyway. I'd say that's good staff support.

I was referring to the second post. The text draft should hopefully be fine now.

Well, in any case, I've edited the notes section to look like my sandbox. I should probably get to work on Celestia and Discord's profiles, but by this point, I think I'd like to take a step back for the night and I'd rather work on it in the morning when I have the chance. Not sure what else is left to do now.

Side question, but is it normal for the notes section to look completely bolded? Never noticed before and it doesn't look like the bold was turned on in the editor.

I do not know. Please supply a link.

I am fine with the note. It just looks a bit too long to maybe put in practice but at least it is detailed. As for the inconsistencies caused by this, the feats need to be looked at and the outliers should be identified. I don't think I will be of much help there.

Thank you for helping out.

Back