• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Verse translation standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was actually just discussing this topic with a few others and some things were brought to my attention about how we treat certain verses that of course, aren't originally in english. I believe some translation standards should be set for verses that need to be translated to english. I discussed some potential issues and standards to be put in place with Wok and Phoenix, and I will give them here.

So firstly, verses need to have either an official translation, or a full fan translation to be put on the wiki. The reasoning for this is, when a verse has untranslated material in use on their pages, it leaves room for error, and is harder for other users to verify. This problem makes it so only a select few members who can comprehend the language are able to discuss it in detail. Untranslated material shouldn't be used on pages for this reasoning.

Secondly I will be addressing Machine translations. Things like Google Translate etc. So the reason I bring this up is the fact that Rakudai from what i've been told, supposedly was using machine translations for the longest time. I cannot confirm if this is the case currently, but either way, it should be very obvious why machine translations shouldn't be used. They are very inaccurate at translating sentences in the proper context.

Thirdly, translations should be done via translating the original text into English. Once more I mention this because of Rakudai. Not only was Rakudai using machine translations, it was also translated from Japanese to Russian, and then into English. Multi language translating is a bad practice, as it could lead to discrepancies considering the difference in nuances between these languages and can lead to a "Chinese whispers" effect.

Rakudai was using machine translations for some time, but not anymore, so that's a moot argument. I myself can read the full, volume-wide translations the verse has at any moment I want, so you aren't touching that one.

Rakudai was using machine translations for some time, but not anymore, so that's a moot argument. I myself can read the full, volume-wide translations the verse has at any moment I want, so you aren't touching that one.
I wasn't doing this with intent of doing anything to Rakudai, mainly addressing the fact a machine translation was in use for a bit.

Also, just noticed the comments above, and they're right, we have had THIS EXACT THREAD literally less than a month ago. What's even the point of this one?

Nice. Is going to be made into its own standard page at some point?
I think it will be added to some already existing page, like editing guidelines. Since I'm the one who opened the thread, tomorrow or the day after I will write a draft of what has been decided in terms of rules and guidelines,

Also, just noticed the comments above, and they're right, we have had THIS EXACT THREAD literally less than a month ago. What's even the point of this one?
I wasn't made aware actually. Just came up in passing with Wok, discussed making a thread for a bit, took some of the points he'd like to be addressed, and then put them up for here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back