• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why everything is assumed to have a soul here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common sense
thats not common sense, thats appealing to fantasy in a wrong scenario, while the wiki says that it is a ''indexing site''
Since soul manipulation is an ability, it must be proven that a specific character is immune to it.
That's not even a thing, let's take the Lion, you cannot prove that a IRL Lion have a soul, so, Soul Hax should not work in lions, unless it's proven that a IRL lion have a soul, and the problem is, we do have IRL profiles here, and we cannot assume that IRL have souls

Real world profiles are another case in point. Just as in fiction we accept that kinetic energy is inconsistent we accept that in the real world it is perfectly correct to use (For obvious reasons)

As far as I know the site has always differentiated between cases in fiction and cases in the real world

thats not common sense, thats appealing to fantasy in a wrong scenario, while the wiki says that it is a ''indexing site''

That's not even a thing, let's take the Lion, you cannot prove that a IRL Lion have a soul, so, Soul Hax should not work in lions, unless it's proven that a IRL lion have a soul, and the problem is, we do have IRL profiles here, and we cannot assume that IRL have souls
It is more like you can not disprove nor prove a soul can exist in a being or not.

In additional to that, the soul concept originated from discussions in philosophy and certain other circles: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul

It is more like you can not disprove nor prove a soul can exist in a being or not.
So, it cannot be assumed to be a thing, that's just, the logic behind of an indexing site
In additional to that, the soul concept originated from discussions in philosophy and certain other circles: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul
it is not proved, it mainly comes from religion stuff and all, but that's also, not proved either

So, it cannot be assumed to be a thing, that's just, the logic behind of an indexing site
To being fair, this is more subjective rather than objective as objectively speaking, we don’t have proof that souls exist yet we also don’t have proof that souls don’t exist as in a way, forms a logical contradiction.

Also you kinda technically make a assumption tbh.

"It is not proven that they exist"

Just as it is not proven that they do not exist

Proving that there is no soul in a character is like proving that he is resistant to something, since soul manipulation is a common abiliy

Common sense in these cases is correct

To being fair, this is more subjective rather than objective as objectively speaking, we don’t have proof that souls exist yet we also don’t have proof that souls don’t exist as in a way, forms a logical contradiction.
but what is even the point of assuming it if there is no proof? it should be a thing only in verses that does states that souls exist, because we have no proof of it, meanwhile, burden of proof
Also you kinda technically make a assumption tbh.
which

"It is not proven that they exist"

Just as it is not proven that they do not exist
Yeah, we are not sure if they exist or not, that's why it shouldnt be assumed that it exist, because this is an indexing site, well, I can say that a magical elephant with rainbow wings are a thing, despite no proof of it, so, are we going to assume that it exists?

Because souls are a common concept in fiction, most stories you read might make references to souls, either it be ghosts, people reincarnating, or afterlife being a thing, is basically a widespread acceptance that everyone has a soul, either it is right or wrong.

Because souls are a common concept in fiction, most stories you read might make references to souls, either it be ghosts, people dying or afterlife being a thing, is basically a widespread acceptance that everyone has a soul, either it is right or wrong.
So, these verses works with souls, cool, doesnt means that souls exist in other verse, as you will need to prove it, and my question was mainly to IRL cases, as we do have IRL profiles, how do we treat it then?

Yeah, we are not sure if they exist or not, that's why it shouldnt be assumed that it exist, because this is an indexing site, well, I can say that a magical elephant with rainbow wings are a thing, despite no proof of it, so, are we going to assume that it exists?
Proving that there is no soul in a character is like proving that he is resistant to something, since soul manipulation is a common abiliy

Common sense in these cases is correct

The part with the soul not existing or not as the soul is usually treated as something not physical to begin with and more akin to the spiritual side rather than the physical aspects.
but i did not made an assumption? I said that it is not proved, because it isnt

So, these verses works with souls, cool, doesnt means that souls exist in other verse, as you will need to prove it
The assumption that other verses having all beings being soulless is simply not a good idea as you technically have to prove they are in fact actually soulless rather than lifeforms having a soul.

Majority of the people in the world believe in souls / are still religious. While I don’t personally believe in souls I think it should still be the default assumption and will stay that way for a very long time (plus verse equalization means that unless the verse brings it up, they would be applying under the verse saying all living beings have souls. Since the other verse would need to counter that statement to not have souls).

The assumption that other verses having all beings being soulless is simply not a good idea as you technically have to prove they are in fact actually soulless rather than lifeforms having a soul.
I did not assumed that these verses does not have a soul, I said that souls are not proved in the verse, so, you just can't assume that they have souls, as we have literally nothing that shows that it exist, and funily enough, the whole ''Souls exist'' thing comes from literally tales of thousand years ago, like mythologies, and again, mythologies are not proved either
Also you can make the same argument that irl profiles has never once make the assumption they are a soulless being as well tbh.
I did not said it, I am literally asking about how we treat the IRL profiles, because different than fiction, which I can understand the soul argument there, IRL is IRL

So, these verses works with souls, cool, doesnt means that souls exist in other verse, as you will need to prove it, and my question was mainly to IRL cases, as we do have IRL profiles, how do we treat it then?
think you missed the part of the majority of verses agreeing souls are a thing, if it is a widespread concept, it is accepted because majority matters here for the most time, this isn't even a case of "like 10 verses agree on it", you'll have a hard time finding a single fictional work that doesn't have souls unless they are super IRL-ish.

Doesn't help that majority of the world believes in souls, just like we believe in the big bang and other theories, yeah we have evidence that it might have happened but we don't have proof that it truly did.

IRL profiles are under IRL laws and proven concepts, fictions agrees souls are a thing, IRL has to prove they are.

"why do we assume everyone to have concept"

"Why do we assume everyone to have a mind"

"Why do we assume everyone to Life force"

Its a endless rabbid whole of metaphysical stuff working to make this hobby of versus debating fun. Some things are simply meant to be accepted, in order for things to work.

Majority of the people in the world believe in souls / are still religious.
Cool? it doesnt means that it exists
"why do we assume everyone to have concept"

"Why do we assume everyone to have a mind"

"Why do we assume everyone to Life force"
Yeah, I also asked about it before, iirc, why do we assume it? I can even understand about Mind if people treats Minds as Brain or whatever

Um, it exist to majority of the human population. This isn’t a religious debate. Your asking why this site assumes characters have souls: it’s because the large majority of humanity itself assumes so.

Um, it exist to majority of the human population.
And? I do belive that a magical pink elephant with rainbow wings exist, does it means that it exist? As I said, there is no evidence to it, so, why do we assume that it would work?
At the same time, we have no evidence it doesn’t exist irl since the soul is being treated as non physical and thereby make it impossible for it to exist or not exist to begin with.
thats a reverse burden of proof, which just doesnt works

Your not the majority of humanity. And souls aren’t something that are really objectively wrong. I, and a lot of people, don’t believe in them. But we are not necessarily correct and majority of people would think we are wrong.

This, again, isn’t a factual debate, it’s entirely based in opinion.

99% of that thread is because the dude doesn't accept things like common sense or standard assumptions

****, the entire Tier 1 is almost purely assumption

If we have no proof that it exists and it doesn't, what are we going to do? "Deku has immunity to soul manipulation because that concept wasn't explored in the manga", but then someone else says "But at the same time it's never been proven that souls don't exist"; it's simply a cycle without an acceptable assumption

Wait 3000 years, science probably will shift greatly

Last I checked tier 1 is entirely based around mathematics now. Unlike the mystic nonsense it used to be.

It does when quite frankly we have no reason to deny or accept the existence of a soul because the lack of evidence rather than just purely burden of proof to begin with.
if we have no reason to assume that something exist, why are we assuming that it does works in verses that NEVER stated that these things exists are real? look, Atoms exist, we can proof it, so, Atom Manipulation (matter hax) can work, however, Concepts, we have no proofs that concepts exist, so, Conceptual Hax is literally a fantasy, at least for now, unless someone proves it existence
Your not the majority of humanity
why is it related? does something exist just because majority of humanity or a single person of humanity belives in?
But we are necessarily correct and majority of people would think we are wrong.
what they think doesnt even matter, as they have 0 proofs of their claims
This, again, isn’t a factual debate, it’s entirely based in opinion.
So, we are assuming that a thing that is not proven and is mainly from fantasy of thousand years ago are real because people wants it to be real?
99% of that thread is because the dude doesn't accept things like common sense or standard assumptions
Assumption is Assumption, so, lols, and I do belive in common sense, but only when the sense is common, such as if someone loses the head, they die, thats a common sense and also proved, but hey.
If we have no proof that it exists and it doesn't, what are we going to do?
Nothing
"Deku has immunity to soul manipulation because that concept wasn't explored in the manga", but then someone else says "But at the same time it's never been proven that souls don't exist"; it's simply a cycle without an acceptable assumption
actually, MHA works with life essence, souls of previous heroes or whatever helping them, like what happens to one for all ability, so, it's safe that these things exist in MHA, so, Deku cannot have immunity to soul manip based in these things, but if we take a verse that is totally a human verse, assuming that souls exist is literally reversing the burden of proof
Wait 3000 years, science probably will shift greatly
until it, not proved, I legit have no idea of why it is the standard assumption

Trying to disprove or prove things based on IRL science is a bad thing, especially when they get disproven later.

Just keep things as they are. Nothing will change. And that's how it should be in this scenario

****, the entire Tier 1 is almost purely assumption
it does comes from math/physic stuff, well, the verses with tier 1 are literally STATED to have these higher dimensions, so, as they stated in the verse, it does exist, I don't see how this is the case of souls
Trying to disprove or prove things based on IRL science is a bad thing
thats actually, the best thing that we have currently

It... Really dosnt matter wether or not those concepts are real or not. Its common in fiction, therefor a standard. and it works against IRL because we, as a site whole, agreed to it.

I mean, do we grant IRL profiles immunity to time travel paradoxes because in real life, traveling back to the past is impossible? Are FTL characters now capable of time travel if they fight in the real world universe because physics work like that?

Concepts, we have no proofs that concepts exist, so, Conceptual Hax is literally a fantasy, at least for now, unless someone proves it existence
so concept hax shouldn't work on verses without concept hax? please do not try to downgrade/upgrade verses based on irl theories unless they are proven to apply without a doubt, don't even touch irl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back