• If you appreciate the VS Battles wiki, and can afford it, please make a donation to help keep our forum running, so we can continue to work hard to improve on the reliability of our wiki profile pages. If you want to be anonymous, don't enter your real name when you donate.

Please click here if you are willing to help out.

AKM sama

The Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Human Resources
The New Template

So you're surfing the wiki and stumbled upon a page, say Dragon Ball, and you want to view all the discussion threads related to it. Long ago, this was conveniently possible when we still had our old forum and threads. Then everything changed when the UCP happened. And when we needed it most, the "Discussions" part that was found on the bottom of the page, vanished. A month or so passed and Amelia and I discovered a new template.

Well, mostly Amelia, she made this cool template out of scratch and my contribution was just limited to making a couple changes and applying it to all the verse pages, so all credit goes to her. You can see that on the above linked verse page:
fxd.PNG
When you click the link, you will be taken here: https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-Dragon_Ball/

Since searching for tags can be a little bit inconvenient and majority of the people were missing the old way of doing it, this new template will provide our normal visitors easy access to the discussion threads regarding any particular verse or character.

How It Works

1. For pages that have a simple title without any special characters
like parenthesis, colon, apostrophe, period etc. all we have to do is add a line of code at the bottom of the page: {{discussions}}

sdgg.PNG

This is because the tag link of such a page is similar to the title of the page. For example, the tag link of the page Ben 10 contains the same alphabets as the title of the page: https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-Ben_10/

2. For pages that contain special characters like (, ), ', :, %, ., !, etc., we have to do a bit more though, because the tag links change these special characters to something else.

For example, Naruto (The Universe) contains ( ) and adding the simple {{discussions}} template will take you to a broken link. For such pages, you need to search the relevant tags from here and check the tag URL for that page, which in this case is: https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-Naruto_The_Universe/

Notice that the parentheses are ignored/omitted in the URL so we need to modify our code to match that: {{discussions|the text as written in the URL|the text that is to be displayed}}

dfd.PNG

Another example would be 100% Orange Juice. The tag URL for it is: https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-10025_Orange_Juice/
Notice how the "%" symbol in the verse page has been converted to "25" in the URL, so the code for it would be:
dfgdg.PNG

The Next Step

1. Like I stated earlier, that I added the template to all verse pages, but I used my bot and only added the simple {{discussions}} template to all verse pages. So for many verse pages that contain any kind of special character i.e. anything other than alphabets, numbers and spaces, their discussions template will have to be modified after checking the tag URLs accordingly.

For this we need volunteers so that once we have enough, the verses can be divided among them. For example, I could handle the verses starting with A and B, and so on.

2. We also need to add the template gradually to character pages starting with the most popular and important characters.

3. This will be a standard practice going forward so we need to include this in our Standard Format for Verse Pages and Standard Format for Character Profiles.

Help from all our members is needed and will be very appreciated.

Volunteers: AKM sama, Mr. Bambu, Celestial Pegasus, Colonel Krukov, Starter Pack, Duedate8898, Sir Ovens, Elizhaa, Tllmbrg

Attachments

• dfgdg.PNG
    dfgdg.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Thank you very much for helping out AKM sama.

Help from our community with correcting all of the inaccurate links is also extremely appreciated.

See here for a list of all our verse pages, so you can check through them for the ones with unusual signs:

Mr._Bambu

Lord of Dysphoria and Despondency
VS Battles
Sysop
Calculation Group
oh boy

all 370-something pages I've made here I come

AKM sama

The Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Human Resources
Well, I hope the instructions were clear enough for people to understand.

Anyway, we first need volunteers so we can divide the list of verses alphabetically and correct the links like I mentioned in the OP. We can deal with the character pages gradually after that.

We also need to incorporate this in the standards format pages.

Everything12

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
A slight, possibly unnecessary, worry I have is that new people might be browsing the profile and the link might look like a clickable link to them and they will just see it as a header. As that sort of happened to me when I first checked the profile.

Everything12

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
From what the first post says, first, the job is to add it to all of the Verse Pages, and the Character Profiles will have it being added gradually afterwards. Meanwhile, the Character and Verse Creation Standards Page will have this being added as a standard to add to any new pages.

This looks like something that could be quickly edited in by a bot, cases where there's special characters can be manually fixed afterwards (And this would be far more practical than manually editing it everywhere), but correct me if I'm wrong

AKM sama

The Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Human Resources
This looks like something that could be quickly edited in by a bot, cases where there's special characters can be manually fixed afterwards (And this would be far more practical than manually editing it everywhere), but correct me if I'm wrong
That's...exactly what is happening here.

can you change tags in this forum because Yu-Gi-Oh is missing the !
If you are talking about its tag URL, then yes it is ignored in the URL, we will have to correct it in the verse page like how I specified in the OP.

Celestial_Pegasus

VS Battles
Sysop
Human Resources
Can tags be too long? Tried to add "The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody" to threads with the verse, but says it's either too long or short.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Are we doing this for verse pages or just every page as a question?
We start with the verse pages and our most popular character pages. After that, the links will have to be added gradually.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Can tags be too long? Tried to add "The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody" to threads with the verse, but says it's either too long or short.
I suppose that it is possible. I am not sure how to solve the problem.

AKM sama

The Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Human Resources
I tried it myself and yes, it is not possible because the tag is probably too long.

Starter_Pack

VS Battles
Content Moderator
Hm. I'll try adding it to a few verses to see how this works. It looks easy enough, so I should be able to help.

Usually verses/characters with long names like that have common acronyms/shortenings of their title. Perhaps that should be used for their tags instead?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
We might have to use TGDLIRAATN, as Agnaa suggested, or the first few words of the original Japanese title, if all else fails.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Well, I hope the instructions were clear enough for people to understand.

Anyway, we first need volunteers so we can divide the list of verses alphabetically and correct the links like I mentioned in the OP. We can deal with the character pages gradually after that.

We also need to incorporate this in the standards format pages.
Anyway, it is important that we try to divide the work in an organised manner, as AKM said.

Celestial_Pegasus

VS Battles
Sysop
Human Resources
A shame there is no common shortening of it like for tensei shitara slime datta ken, which is tensura. First few words of the Janpanese are "Shijou Saikyou no Daimaou".

If there's no common one then I guess a generic acronym would work, we're just using it for the tags after all.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
A shame there is no common shortening of it like for tensei shitara slime datta ken, which is tensura. First few words of the Janpanese are "Shijou Saikyou no Daimaou".
That phrase can probably work.

Anyway, we are derailing.

AKM sama

The Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Human Resources
Anyway, it is important that we try to divide the work in an organised manner, as AKM said.
Yes, we have got a few volunteers already. If we get enough volunteers, we can divide the list of verses with respect to alphabets. For example, a person can handle verses starting with A and B, and so on.

Mr._Bambu

VS Battles
Sysop
Calculation Group
if we do that, totally willing to assist, but I demand the D section to live up to my greater purpose.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Yes, we have got a few volunteers already. If we get enough volunteers, we can divide the list of verses with respect to alphabets. For example, a person can handle verses starting with A and B, and so on.
It seems better to divide the work based on page numbers. For example, if there are around 1200 verse pages, and we get 6 volunteers, volunteer number 1 can check for irregular signs in verse pages 1 to 200, and so onwards.

AKM sama

The Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Human Resources
Depends on the number of volunteers. Till now we have 6 (Me, Bambu, Celestial, Starter, Krukov, Duedate, Ionliosite(?))

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Okay. That is good. Thank you to everybody who are helping out.

AKM sama

The Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Human Resources
Bump. If more people volunteer for this, it will be really appreciated.

LordGriffin1000

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I'm currently working on updates to some verse pages and profiles that lack information and are outdated, not to mention I have some family drama going on currently. so I don't know if I can help with this, sorry.

AKM sama

The Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Human Resources

Well, there are 1232 verses in total and we have 9 candidates here. I think we can start this project now and each of us can first go through 100 verses to check the ones that have special characters in them and modify the template after checking the tag URL accordingly. We will see about the remaining 332 verses later if somebody is interested in helping out more.

As you can see in the verses category page, each page contains a total of 200 verses, that are divided in 2 columns or 100 verses each. So it is easier to allot them.

@AKM sama - I will handle verses from 007 to Bayonetta (Verse).

@Celestial_Pegasus - From Beastars to Crusader Kings

@Mr._Bambu - From Crysis to Ed, Edd and Eddy

@Colonel_Krukov - From Edens Zero to Granny (Game)

@Sir_Ovens - From Grappler Baki to Invaders of the Rokujouma!?

@Duedate8898 - From Ip Man (Film Series) to Log Horizon

@Elizhaa - From Looney Tunes to Nicktoons

@Starter_Pack - From NieR: Automata to Rampage (Verse)

@Tllmbrg - From Ratchet & Clank to Sin and Punishment

If you have any queries or doubts, feel free to ask. And remember that a few verses might not have any tags in the forum because there might be no discussions about them yet, so even if your template is correct, the link wouldn't work.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
I noticed that the discussions templates are currently generally placed beneath the categories in the verse page source codes, which makes it far more likely that others will accidentally remove them in later edits.

Mr._Bambu

VS Battles
Sysop
Calculation Group
I noticed that the discussions templates are currently generally placed beneath the categories in the verse page source codes, which makes it far more likely that others will accidentally remove them in later edits.
So you'd like them above categories? Noted.

Mr._Bambu

VS Battles
Sysop
Calculation Group
works for me, for whatever reason I didn't even think to just make a test thing for him. cheers.

Duedate8898

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Experiencing a strange problem with the Iron Kingdoms tag, the link doesn't link properly even though it matches the url for the page. Any idea what's going on here?

It appears that some tags are formatted like https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-katanagatari/ while others are formatted like https://vsbattles.com/tags/iron-kingdoms/

The template assumes the former, Iron Kingdoms uses the latter.

I think a change to the template may be necessary to correct this. I'm guessing that the issue came about because the tag wasn't imported from the old vsbw forum threads, but was newly made in a thread posted a little over a month ago.

The "rename" can also only apply to the discussion tag now that I think about it, so the pages could remain the same name-wise, just with the tags on their case specifying the respective verse it refers to.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
It appears that some tags are formatted like https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-katanagatari/ while others are formatted like https://vsbattles.com/tags/iron-kingdoms/

The template assumes the former, Iron Kingdoms uses the latter.

I think a change to the template may be necessary to correct this. I'm guessing that the issue came about because the tag wasn't imported from the old vsbw forum threads, but was newly made in a thread posted a little over a month ago.
I have asked our system administrator for input about this problem.

AKM sama

The Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Human Resources
Hmm

It's because the tags that were imported from the old forum have "vsbattles" in the URL. For example: https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-katanagatari/

While the tags that were added post-forum move don't have the word "vsbattles" in them. For example: https://vsbattles.com/tags/iron-kingdoms/

So that's the problem. If this was imported from the old forum, it would have been: https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-iron-kingdoms/

So we can either create a second template to accommodate for the lack of "vsbattles" and add this new template to new verses, which will cause more confusion and will be difficult to keep track of, I think.

Or we can just create the new tags in a way that their URL match the previous ones, which will be more consistent going forward. But we'll have to check with Sultan for that.

Would an entirely new template need to be created?

Could you not do something like, set up the template so that by default it includes vsbattles, but if you pass through a certain option (i.e. {{discussions|mode=novb}}) it doesn't include that part of the URL?

Hop_Hoppington-Hoppenhiemer

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Have we spoken to anyone who understands webpage design in their format?

Hop only has experience with HTML, Basic, Python and Java on small levels, more of an engineering and networking techie.

Kind of curious why this is the best approach.

"Have we spoken to someone who understands webpage design" in regards to what?

Last edited:

AKM sama

The Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Human Resources
We can meanwhile go ahead and handle the other verse pages and leave the new ones for later.

Elizhaa

VS Battles
Sysop
I am done with my list; I found an issue:
The other things I have fixed regarding the special characters; there are some discussion links that do not work because the tags don't exist on the site's tag yet.

Crabwhale

Patron Saint of Skeletor
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I need several pages open for editing to add the template, for they are admin locked.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
If you list their exact page titles here, I can unlock them for you.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
I agree that descriptions should be placed in the standard format pages.

I think that the discussions template should be placed almost at the bottom of the pages, right above the categories sections though.

I corrected your example above btw.

Eficiente

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Well, I would argue that since References and categories aren't as looked up as Discussions, the latter should be above them to make things faster and the navigation around in profiles smoother, to avoid going below the References one would mostly ignore to see the Discussions.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Well, I would argue that since References and categories aren't as looked up as Discussions, the latter should be above them to make things faster and the navigation around in profiles smoother, to avoid going below the References one would mostly ignore to see the Discussions.
Well, from an aesthetical viewpoint, I think that it comes across as inappropriate to place the forum links above the references, as the latter section is not a largely independent part of a page, whereas the character fights sections and the forum tag links are.

Last edited:
I'd also like to point out that references sections shouldn't be long enough to drive people away. If they are significantly large, they should be in a scrollbox.

Also, the vast majority of websites I've seen with navboxes and references put references above them, so I kinda trust that they're doing so for a reason.

Last edited:

Mr._Bambu

VS Battles
Sysop
Calculation Group
So I'm told I'm pretty stupid, I've just been going through every verse of my 100 and adding the template to each profile in the categories as well as checking verse pages, since I thought this was implied by the step 2 "gradually add this to character pages" thing. So forgive me if it takes awhile, but I'm already this far deep and I'm just going to finish,

Bambu's adding the template to character pages for those verses, rather than just verifying that the template works in the verse pages.

It's probably not an issue but it's work that wasn't slated to be done now, so he'll take longer than expected to finish his section.

Last edited:

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Sysop
Oh. That very kind and ambitious of you, but it likely involves thousands of pages, so it is not at all necessary for you to strain yourself in this manner. The character profile pages can be done gradually later over the years.

Crabwhale

Patron Saint of Skeletor
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
The Emperor of Mankind

Khorne

Tzeentch

Nurgle

Slaanesh

An'ggrath the Unbound

Skarbrand

Ka'Bandha

Kairos Fateweaver

Gork and Mork

Kaela Mensha Khaine

Asuryan

Isha

Cegorach

Vaul

Morai-Heg

Ynnead

Eldrad Ulthran (should probably keep this one unlocked, don't know why it's admin locked in the first place)

Aza'gorod the Nightbringer

Mephet'ran the Deceiver

Mag'ladroth the Void Dragon

The Hive Mind

Blackstone Fortress