• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKM sama

Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
The New Template

So you're surfing the wiki and stumbled upon a page, say Dragon Ball, and you want to view all the discussion threads related to it. Long ago, this was conveniently possible when we still had our old forum and threads. Then everything changed when the UCP happened. And when we needed it most, the "Discussions" part that was found on the bottom of the page, vanished. A month or so passed and Amelia and I discovered a new template.

Well, mostly Amelia, she made this cool template out of scratch and my contribution was just limited to making a couple changes and applying it to all the verse pages, so all credit goes to her. You can see that on the above linked verse page:
fxd.PNG
When you click the link, you will be taken here: https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-Dragon_Ball/

Since searching for tags can be a little bit inconvenient and majority of the people were missing the old way of doing it, this new template will provide our normal visitors easy access to the discussion threads regarding any particular verse or character.

How It Works

1. For pages that have a simple title without any special characters
like parenthesis, colon, apostrophe, period etc. all we have to do is add a line of code at the bottom of the page: {{discussions}}

sdgg.PNG

This is because the tag link of such a page is similar to the title of the page. For example, the tag link of the page Ben 10 contains the same alphabets as the title of the page: https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-Ben_10/

2. For pages that contain special characters like (, ), ', :, %, ., !, etc., we have to do a bit more though, because the tag links change these special characters to something else.

For example, Naruto (The Universe) contains ( ) and adding the simple {{discussions}} template will take you to a broken link. For such pages, you need to search the relevant tags from here and check the tag URL for that page, which in this case is: https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-Naruto_The_Universe/

Notice that the parentheses are ignored/omitted in the URL so we need to modify our code to match that: {{discussions|the text as written in the URL|the text that is to be displayed}}

dfd.PNG

Another example would be 100% Orange Juice. The tag URL for it is: https://vsbattles.com/tags/vsbattles-10025_Orange_Juice/
Notice how the "%" symbol in the verse page has been converted to "25" in the URL, so the code for it would be:
dfgdg.PNG

The Next Step

1. Like I stated earlier, that I added the template to all verse pages, but I used my bot and only added the simple {{discussions}} template to all verse pages. So for many verse pages that contain any kind of special character i.e. anything other than alphabets, numbers and spaces, their discussions template will have to be modified after checking the tag URLs accordingly.

For this we need volunteers so that once we have enough, the verses can be divided among them. For example, I could handle the verses starting with A and B, and so on.

2. We also need to add the template gradually to character pages starting with the most popular and important characters.

3. This will be a standard practice going forward so we need to include this in our Standard Format for Verse Pages and Standard Format for Character Profiles.

Help from all our members is needed and will be very appreciated.

Volunteers: AKM sama, Mr. Bambu, Celestial Pegasus, Colonel Krukov, Starter Pack, Duedate8898, Sir Ovens, Elizhaa, Tllmbrg

Attachments

• dfgdg.PNG
    dfgdg.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thank you very much for helping out AKM sama.

Help from our community with correcting all of the inaccurate links is also extremely appreciated.

See here for a list of all our verse pages, so you can check through them for the ones with unusual signs:

oh boy

all 370-something pages I've made here I come

Well, I hope the instructions were clear enough for people to understand.

Anyway, we first need volunteers so we can divide the list of verses alphabetically and correct the links like I mentioned in the OP. We can deal with the character pages gradually after that.

We also need to incorporate this in the standards format pages.

A slight, possibly unnecessary, worry I have is that new people might be browsing the profile and the link might look like a clickable link to them and they will just see it as a header. As that sort of happened to me when I first checked the profile.

From what the first post says, first, the job is to add it to all of the Verse Pages, and the Character Profiles will have it being added gradually afterwards. Meanwhile, the Character and Verse Creation Standards Page will have this being added as a standard to add to any new pages.

Today isn't a good day, but yes I can help out when I can.

This looks like something that could be quickly edited in by a bot, cases where there's special characters can be manually fixed afterwards (And this would be far more practical than manually editing it everywhere), but correct me if I'm wrong

This looks like something that could be quickly edited in by a bot, cases where there's special characters can be manually fixed afterwards (And this would be far more practical than manually editing it everywhere), but correct me if I'm wrong
That's...exactly what is happening here.

can you change tags in this forum because Yu-Gi-Oh is missing the !
If you are talking about its tag URL, then yes it is ignored in the URL, we will have to correct it in the verse page like how I specified in the OP.

Can tags be too long? Tried to add "The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody" to threads with the verse, but says it's either too long or short.

Are we doing this for verse pages or just every page as a question?
We start with the verse pages and our most popular character pages. After that, the links will have to be added gradually.

Can tags be too long? Tried to add "The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody" to threads with the verse, but says it's either too long or short.
I suppose that it is possible. I am not sure how to solve the problem.

I tried it myself and yes, it is not possible because the tag is probably too long.

Hm. I'll try adding it to a few verses to see how this works. It looks easy enough, so I should be able to help.

Usually verses/characters with long names like that have common acronyms/shortenings of their title. Perhaps that should be used for their tags instead?

We might have to use TGDLIRAATN, as Agnaa suggested, or the first few words of the original Japanese title, if all else fails.

Well, I hope the instructions were clear enough for people to understand.

Anyway, we first need volunteers so we can divide the list of verses alphabetically and correct the links like I mentioned in the OP. We can deal with the character pages gradually after that.

We also need to incorporate this in the standards format pages.
Anyway, it is important that we try to divide the work in an organised manner, as AKM said.

A shame there is no common shortening of it like for tensei shitara slime datta ken, which is tensura. First few words of the Janpanese are "Shijou Saikyou no Daimaou".

If there's no common one then I guess a generic acronym would work, we're just using it for the tags after all.

A shame there is no common shortening of it like for tensei shitara slime datta ken, which is tensura. First few words of the Janpanese are "Shijou Saikyou no Daimaou".
That phrase can probably work.

Anyway, we are derailing.

Anyway, it is important that we try to divide the work in an organised manner, as AKM said.
Yes, we have got a few volunteers already. If we get enough volunteers, we can divide the list of verses with respect to alphabets. For example, a person can handle verses starting with A and B, and so on.

if we do that, totally willing to assist, but I demand the D section to live up to my greater purpose.

Yes, we have got a few volunteers already. If we get enough volunteers, we can divide the list of verses with respect to alphabets. For example, a person can handle verses starting with A and B, and so on.
It seems better to divide the work based on page numbers. For example, if there are around 1200 verse pages, and we get 6 volunteers, volunteer number 1 can check for irregular signs in verse pages 1 to 200, and so onwards.

Depends on the number of volunteers. Till now we have 6 (Me, Bambu, Celestial, Starter, Krukov, Duedate, Ionliosite(?))

Okay. That is good. Thank you to everybody who are helping out.

Bump. If more people volunteer for this, it will be really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back