• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Abilities like Endure (Pokemon) and Stout Guardian (BOFURI)

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So, when looking through a content revision deal on BOFURI, Ant had stated that the ability to survive fatal blows with just an inch of your life, as a special ability (like Endure from Pokemon and Stout Guardian from BOFURI) is not Invulnerability, but rather an ability unlisted on the wiki. The powerlisting wiki called the ability "Enhanced Endurance," but the thing is the Vs Battles Wiki considers Endurance and Stamina one of the same.

Pretty much the best examples of users of the ability are Mamoswine and Maple (BOFURI), yet when I looked in Mamoswine's page for an ability name, I got nothing. It'd be a pretty lazy assumption to just call Endure or Stout Guardian "Resistance to Death Manipulation" and be done with it, but still... What is it, really? And what should we call that ability?

Endure should not be a thing. It's just an optional pokemon move that you have to choose on a turn to survive with. Stout Guardian in Bofuri is a passive skill that guarantees that person's survival from any hit, no matter how powerful, at 1 hp once per 24 hours. There is a big difference between an automatic passive ability and a move that actually has to actively be chosen.

How does it being a move that has to be chosen mean it shouldn't exist?

1. The wiki lists all Pokemon moves on their profiles. From what I can tell, Level Up moves are moves learned naturally; anything else is learned from domestication (pokemon trainers with their TMs and move tutors and stuff).

2. Pokemon are capable of using Endure on their own. Ever heard of WILD pokemon? They're literally like wild animals, meaning they're not pets being told what to do. They can use any active skill as they please.

3. Pretty sure the move description of Stout Guardian stated that it has to be a lethal blow.

4. None of this answers my question.

It's just a weird game mechanic thing, and also the fact that it's active and you pointing out they are wild animals are an important connection. Most wild Pokemon would not be intelligent enough to predict when to even properly use a predicive move like endure.

Obviously the blow would be lethal for Stouth Guardian to activate. That's why it's a passive ability, not a move.

It happens in the manga too, and while Pokemon are, for the most part, more intelligent than wild animals, their intelligence is irrelevant. The same thing also happens with the (passive) ability Sturdy.

Let's try not discussing the intelligence of fictional animals and instead focus on the question I asked.

Come to think of it, I have a good one. How does Knockout Negation (The idea of taking a normally-lethal or lethal-ish blows without being KO'd unless otherwise) sound as a name idea?

GyroNutz said:
It happens in the manga too, and while Pokemon are, for the most part, more intelligent than wild animals, their intelligence is irrelevant. The same thing also happens with the (passive) ability Sturdy.

There is a big difference between passive abilities that automatically activate, and one you have to choose to activate. It's a generalization to say how smart a pokemon is, and a move like endure actually takes strategy to use properly. Not that it's a good move in the first place, as like I said, it's an actual move you'd have to choose to use in time & a real battle is not a turn based RPG where you get a boost in turn priority picking it lol.

Sturdy auto lives a hit if you were at full health, so it's a meh ability. If you're facing someone strong enough to one-shot you, you aren't going to win in one of these battles almost ever.

There's no difference between passive abilities and non passive abilities when it comes to being classified. Passive (limited) damage reduction is the same ability as activated limited damage reduction, just that the former is always active by default. Sure it may not be the most useful ability, but a powers and abilities list is meant to be comprehensive, not just include their best abilities.

There should be a difference noted in abilities such as those. There is a MASSIVE difference between you automatically surviving an attack and you having to see an attack coming and triggering the proper move beforehand.

There's also other RPG verses where abilities like this exist. Even if it's a move or more limited as an ability in Pokemon, it should be accounted for.

Impeccablesin said:
There should be a difference noted in abilities such as those. There is a MASSIVE difference between you automatically surviving an attack and you having to see an attack coming and triggering the proper move beforehand.
This can be resolved simply by describing it as passive in the Powers and Abilities/Notable Attacks + Techniques sections.

Anyway, like I said, would "Knockout Negation" be a good name for this ability?

I think damage reduction makes the most sense. The thing about Invulnerability is that you need to have some sort of mechanic it works by, because now it's more like AP negation. Just as we're not too keen on unexplained dura neg, it's not great for invulnerability.

Back