• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

AI Art for characters with no images

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there are characters with no images on their profile since they don't have one in the first place. Usually we use fanart, but sometimes there ain't even any fanart. Here's the idea, we should allow one to use AI to create a design for the character that is similar to their description in the original media that they come from.
How does that sound?

I do not think that we should use completely unofficial designs.
some of our more abstract entities or characters with no fanart or art have been using random space images and i've even seen paintings. If that isn't unofficial then idk what is.

We officially forbade using them as far as I recall. They likely simply haven't been removed yet.

So there are characters with no images on their profile since they don't have one in the first place. Usually we use fanart, but sometimes there ain't even any fanart. Here's the idea, we should allow one to use AI to create a design for the character that is similar to their description in the original media that they come from.
How does that sound?
The controversy regarding AI art aside, there is no way to do this that would create an accurate image of a character- factors such as differing interpretations of descriptions, which software is used, what art style is stolen copied, and whether or not the AI can even create something coherent are all major factors. Not to mention that a lot of AI art generation is paywalled in some fashion, so we'd have to cover the moral dilemma of "is it really acceptable to spend real money on a vs debating profile?". Also, just the thought of clicking on a profile and seeing an uncanny valley faux-anime styled 7-fingered abomination is enough to make me despise the idea.

I have access to two A.I. programs for generating images (for small fees), but it doesn't seem appropriate to use them for our wiki.

The controversy regarding AI art aside, there is no way to do this that would create an accurate image of a character- factors such as differing interpretations of descriptions, which software is used, what art style is stolen copied, and whether or not the AI can even create something coherent are all major factors. Not to mention that a lot of AI art generation is paywalled in some fashion, so we'd have to cover the moral dilemma of "is it really acceptable to spend real money on a vs debating profile?". Also, just the thought of clicking on a profile and seeing an uncanny valley faux-anime styled 7-fingered abomination is enough to make me despise the idea.
These AI's are gonna getting better by the day so i think "looking bad" is not a strong argument here, but i do agree that is too controversial to be allowed on the wiki

If the character just has no available art, then we shouldn't put any image. If there is no fanart or official art, then we just leave it blank.

There is no reason to REQUIRE pictures on profiles. We don't NEED to know what the character looks like.
I agree with this.

Not that this is the topic, though I don’t think we should use AI in this case given the copyright controversy.

Even if you somehow manages to make the AI draw the character perfectly with the same art style from the author, that’d still be a fanart.

As image policy stated (the use of Art), only use fanart if official arts are poorly made otherwise the profile would have simply no picture.
So I echo Damage's sentiments.

regarding AIs, there are some that works well for free, such as fusionbrain. I've been messing around with it and it is basically a dumber midjourney, in the sense that it isn't as advanced but the art is almost as good.

I'm neutral on the matter.

If it is done, just make a footnote about it being an interpretation of the text descriptions.

Well, I do not really mind if we know what a character should look like, but cannot find anything appropriate, and an A.I. produces something really good looking and true to the source material (my current avatar image is A.I.-generated for example), but just randomly generating images based on vague book descriptions (for example) seem inappropriate.

Here's an example.
I have a character who i am working on who is described in somewhat metaphorical terms. It is a higher dimensional entity that is described as both a stream that branched into two and has several tributaries merging into it and as a tree with branches, two different yet similar descriptions. We also get to know that they have a lot to do with red, creating red dust molecules, making the water and ecosystem red ect.
The AI I use made this
kandinsky-download-1681557278693.png

and while i think there are potentially better results, it fits the bill pretty well

Disagree to be fair.

If the "normal" wikis do not use fanarts for characters without a true appearance, we shouldn't do it here either, as it would cause legit misinformation even more than we already give. There's no reason at all to use images for the sake of doing so. If a character has official artworks but those are low quality, then fanarts can be used in this case as an exception as the character has a canon design and the fanart can be used to make it look prettier. But characters with no image at all should not have it.

We already had a big discussion with TES entities about this, and using abstract images just because "eh but they're abstract" was at the end agreed to not be a thing because it's arbitrary, leads disinformation and is not even necessary in this case.

Disagree to be fair.

If the "normal" wikis do not use fanarts for characters without a true appearance, we shouldn't do it here either, as it would cause legit misinformation even more than we already give. There's no reason at all to use images for the sake of doing so. If a character has official artworks but those are low quality, then fanarts can be used in this case as an exception as the character has a canon design and the fanart can be used to make it look prettier. But characters with no image at all should not have it.

We already had a big discussion with TES entities about this, and using abstract images just because "eh but they're abstract" was at the end agreed to not be a thing because it's arbitrary, leads disinformation and is not even necessary in this case.
then we should either remove fanarts and abstract images or let us use AI art. Also, did you ask staff for permission to be here?

Disagree to be fair.

I agree with this.

Also, fanart images are fine if they portray characters the way that they are officially shown to look in a very well-drawn manner, and we have nothing official that is of comparably high quality.

I agree with this.

Also, fanart images are fine if they portray characters the way that they are officially shown to look in a very well-drawn manner, and we have nothing official that is of comparably high quality.
i still think that at least using less vague images for abstract or animalistic entities should be allowed.
Like in my situation for example, or if there's a fantasy creature like a dragon but with specific details.

I disagree.
First, the current usage of AI is controversial regarding the copyright. (And I personal fear that AI causes the unemployment or something worse such as abuse, but the thread is not about that)

Second, there are verses which are without officially consistent visual pictures (e.g. novels, radio drama). Any fanart on profiles from such verses are just fan's interception. For example, a novel can write a female human character's outlook as simply "beautiful", and both human artist and AI will have their bias regarding what's "beautiful".

Yes, agreed.

Should we close this thread then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back