• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

There are other things y’all need to fix before you start worrying about that esoteric shit
You can't just say this and then not elaborate.

I do think that Aang and Korra's abilities should be separated into more tabs. Them being grouped together rn is probably confusing for anyone who hasn't seen the series.

From the library edition. I thought "carrying the weight of the world" was just hyperbole in the regular edition, but now I'm not so sure.

0of8xVJ.jpeg

Man; I want to make a crt to make the case that the spirit lasers consist of light, but I don't want to deal with the pushback.

"Carrying the weight of our world" Katara is clearly mentioning the fact that toph pretty much has their lives in her hands.
That was what I thought too when the scan was brought up here, but that was before I saw the commentary from the author.

This is regarding the Avatar: Realms Collide game. If it turns out to be canon, then the setting possibly has a multiverse...
Going back to this, one of the mods on the Discord has clarified that the game is not canon. Lame.

Also, the Aang movie has been delayed to January 2026. Just a few months pushback, but it still makes me worried about all the internal nonsense that's going on at Paramount. Especially cause there's rumors that they want the studio to be bought.

Going back to this, one of the mods on the Discord has clarified that the game is not canon. Lame.

Also, the Aang movie has been delayed to January 2026. Just a few months pushback, but it still makes me worried about all the internal nonsense that's going on at Paramount. Especially cause there's rumors that they want the studio to be bought.
By Sony I'm guessing?

Actually getting nervous about a Sony acquisition at this point. There's a very real threat of potential projects being wiped. Not only would that absolutely suck, but it would also mean that the last few years of shorter comics and slow releases to get ready for Avatar Studios would have been for nothing.

tear1.png

Actually getting nervous about a Sony acquisition at this point. There's a very real threat of potential projects being wiped. Not only would that absolutely suck, but it would also mean that the last few years of shorter comics and slow releases to get ready for Avatar Studios would have been for nothing.

tear1.png
It's still happening?

Between this and the first Yangchen book, I did get a little tired of the author's habit of making it look like the protagonists were screwed, only to give a flashback to show that they planned out the scenario.

Also, there were some good reaction feats from Yangchen, what with her nullifying the combustionbenders's shots right as they were set off.

I made a rough draft of a crt that could upgrade the speed of the spirit beams. Since this would be pretty controversial, I wanted to post it here first. Some feedback would be appreciated.

The point of this crt is to prove that all of the sp beams being thrown around in Avatar are primarily composed of light, particularly the purple ones fired by Vaatu and the Colossus.

The beam refracts in a new material

The beam refracts when it passes through Cosmic Korra's body

The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror

Yep. The light is diffusing so that the area near Korra and Unavaatu are lit up by their respective colors

It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source

1. Bryke calls spirit energy a light source.
  2. The spirit portals, when opened, appear as beams of light (I’ll explain why the portals are relevant in a bit).
  3. When Aang is freed from the iceberg, the avatar state shoots a light into the sky which Zuko, the creators, and one of the show’s writers call light (it also creates an aurora.) The avatar state is the avatar drawing from Raava’s power (aka, the spirit of light and peace), which in turn comes from cosmic energy. Raava at full power should be capable of firing a beam like Vaatu, since Raava is Vaatu’s equal and opposite. Though the game is not canonical, Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl shows this on the Legend of Korra stage, indicating that the developers of that game think the same way.
  4. At one point Varrick calls the beam a laser.

VM-p1kPDPtaysxmPJk-Pi-MAa7Co3rXKGn1Cn9ktTHyFTWkqpQw5Rvzy9yNilRRBuQ9rR6NtyUm44wQIMgzbAQPsAJmU3I7rWGMvpnAnezlWzUxSpJb8Cn09fyCAW_X9LdKTkOglY0DlhwmwJGGo3KE

I should note that the context of him saying this is during the middle of a hypothetical movie that he is making, based on events that have happened in the show so far. However, it should also be noted that Varrick himself is the person who invented the spirit beam that the Earth Empire later adopted. He witnessed the fight between Unavaatu and giant Korra from his jail cell.

eQ5Xn4B72y8LOwHvHomiw4Vw-OIbrdAZqXxuwui5WW979uFlakHWLQc2eboQ7CHTMc9g2fYutU6_ve6tDpB9E5vxRiqJ2ahBcNAF5jiJLIRLTKaOUqnAQEYE_87ABWkBAsrCHgjRK62vOrxFh3bL1Js

Given that he is an inventor and a genius, he should know what a laser is, especially since had created a movie that featured a laser in it.

hLaIbIJ6t4tDYyv6T24FEKpvaZRCXz18PRGyx_aSakt6daCVsHH3ge1XbUqyFSN0HzRyt_S9f-_jvlbSJluKxVhmQY6KmSQZYpSsCy5xZrljNwG4BFNShrNHWVSWlpx81MnmZIwuWBgiu7dDeRFAMtE

And the writers confirmed that the Unavaatu’s ray was what inspired him

vZrqRwOtWNL4r9dDrvX8m48IqM3dYo7PvoEXqd03-EjgYn4KXewR_uNtqJaPEXOiwVZ8pRt6cFjNoyzV2RhsRTak1lk7Be1zwIO-4ppnJCllsp8NW7Zyi28retQCgRZYrbzWrr2Tlf0weLN9rzaSY8Q

It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera

The mecha’s beam comes from spirit vines, which are obviously not a realistic source of light. However, when Vaarick is harnessing the energy from the vines for the first time (right before the first beam is accidentally fired) he says this:

8jJM-d8Qdtg4xoIAwWtJyEgcK2WYdjKHe7VcpNdf1cK_3xJ0o2OXhmqypKeqqr-7-eVvhJ7CPWdm8DgZoZioUNvg76EKp7Q0Uwu47-LMRjvPDLWo1Q8nN-d7zB_cNsXXhbe8n02UMgiLAv3yqT_jouM

So electromagnetism was involved during the firing of the beam. This isn’t the first time that electromagnetism is mentioned in the Avatarverse, as Jinora brings it up earlier. She also brings up the light spectrum.

9U3cEkQkUftO4Kx7b1QdzW1D_6X5tndPzJkgLPuSiNbBtYR27OMX_J9hpuk6k85FAyfIo2grLDHDLPbw-n5iR-yR-cqeJlaAiZvQpeoLdHgkrdlwfxyGN_o9Wj27YyWlbEFiRzXXn8kNySjqNklf3zU

Speaking of spirit vine energy and Vaatu’s ray, the ttrpg confirms that the energy in the vines and the energy that makes up the spirit portals is the same type of energy. This is self-evident, since Korra bending spirit energy made a portal, but it’s good to have confirmation.

xBOeWCnNir3YGE1IqdEBdt1Vuvj1qCowqyB9_cHMiIefqDMEgGSMbc4mstPn1qJFX0xgeXQWG6PXv7avV8d4ixUabPIjONx-slAzRDCmA3DfKAJolXKc8BDaWQdWvVlK3u0Y95dFhkCR4XJaVy0H0Z0

nElyZKgAmZBu8Pj4gf1JVgfY_P92-n21hpbGg16SheuNbeB3d_fTTyFBF_4L4VUn_h5wTOvV1pvun1aOGvrxBMBFJ2wPxG14CuCrYISsW0lHdN5_lxq8c2gIOAZcrM0xmLzcMO4edlETpCyeHlk5BKI

This is relevant because when one of the portals opens, it produces an aurora.

The creators have said that the portals are spitting out pure energy whose origin is celestial in nature.

lYXPLCbkxFhH5ai2HpAFpCi4Q75QJ8xqyMKrcHyZj0q6hgoUsOY7R3E7lSOOKn7nkWKg_neyOByABP6IalUnWiqR1ZdJbaV5IQ-B27Y1Zy3D-encdLBiTLt55FeC-bg4tMwfhxIvbOaJO0SZ-NYAirg

This is a good quote because it essentially confirms that nature in the avatar world can be observed through a scientific approach, as science, astronomy, etc all exist, but it also can be observed through a supernatural approach. Bending skills are using the real elements: when lightningbending is being used, it’s real lightning. The same thing goes for the spirits: when the moon spirit is fatally wounded, the moon actually disappears, and when the ocean spirit rises up, the creator’s commentary calls it the ocean. Therefore, this same approach should be applied to Raava and Vaatu, as while the concept they embody definitely has an effect on nature, and thus they can be seen as incarnations of good and evil, they should also be producing photons and such with their bodies. Other spirits can also turn into light.

The beams consistently travel in a straight line

Proof. There is exactly one time where the beam is not straight, and that’s when Varrick accidentally fires it from the train. He did say that reverse magnetic polarity was involved, which sounds like the Faraday effect. After Varrick flees from Kuvira’s army, Baatar Jr copies Varrick’s work and perfects the beam.

Who would this scale to?

If applied, the Colossus, Vaatu, Unavaatu, Raava, and Cosmic Korra would all get “speed of light” with their beams. Anyone who dodges the beams without aim-dodging would also scale.

I made a rough draft of a crt that could upgrade the speed of the spirit beams. Since this would be pretty controversial, I wanted to post it here first. Some feedback would be appreciated.

The point of this crt is to prove that all of the sp beams being thrown around in Avatar are primarily composed of light, particularly the purple ones fired by Vaatu and the Colossus.

The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror

Yep. The light is diffusing so that the area near Korra and Unavaatu are lit up by their respective colors

It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source

2. The spirit portals, when opened, appear as beams of light (I’ll explain why the portals are relevant in a bit).
  3. When Aang is freed from the iceberg, the avatar state shoots a light into the sky which Zuko, the creators, and one of the show’s writers call light (it also creates an aurora.) The avatar state is the avatar drawing from Raava’s power (aka, the spirit of light and peace), which in turn comes from cosmic energy. Raava at full power should be capable of firing a beam like Vaatu, since Raava is Vaatu’s equal and opposite. Though the game is not canonical, Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl shows this on the Legend of Korra stage, indicating that the developers of that game think the same way.

VM-p1kPDPtaysxmPJk-Pi-MAa7Co3rXKGn1Cn9ktTHyFTWkqpQw5Rvzy9yNilRRBuQ9rR6NtyUm44wQIMgzbAQPsAJmU3I7rWGMvpnAnezlWzUxSpJb8Cn09fyCAW_X9LdKTkOglY0DlhwmwJGGo3KE

I should note that the context of him saying this is during the middle of a hypothetical movie that he is making, based on events that have happened in the show so far. However, it should also be noted that Varrick himself is the person who invented the spirit beam that the Earth Empire later adopted. He witnessed the fight between Unavaatu and giant Korra from his jail cell.

eQ5Xn4B72y8LOwHvHomiw4Vw-OIbrdAZqXxuwui5WW979uFlakHWLQc2eboQ7CHTMc9g2fYutU6_ve6tDpB9E5vxRiqJ2ahBcNAF5jiJLIRLTKaOUqnAQEYE_87ABWkBAsrCHgjRK62vOrxFh3bL1Js

Given that he is an inventor and a genius, he should know what a laser is, especially since had created a movie that featured a laser in it.

hLaIbIJ6t4tDYyv6T24FEKpvaZRCXz18PRGyx_aSakt6daCVsHH3ge1XbUqyFSN0HzRyt_S9f-_jvlbSJluKxVhmQY6KmSQZYpSsCy5xZrljNwG4BFNShrNHWVSWlpx81MnmZIwuWBgiu7dDeRFAMtE

vZrqRwOtWNL4r9dDrvX8m48IqM3dYo7PvoEXqd03-EjgYn4KXewR_uNtqJaPEXOiwVZ8pRt6cFjNoyzV2RhsRTak1lk7Be1zwIO-4ppnJCllsp8NW7Zyi28retQCgRZYrbzWrr2Tlf0weLN9rzaSY8Q

The mecha’s beam comes from spirit vines, which are obviously not a realistic source of light. However, when Vaarick is harnessing the energy from the vines for the first time (right before the first beam is accidentally fired) he says this:

8jJM-d8Qdtg4xoIAwWtJyEgcK2WYdjKHe7VcpNdf1cK_3xJ0o2OXhmqypKeqqr-7-eVvhJ7CPWdm8DgZoZioUNvg76EKp7Q0Uwu47-LMRjvPDLWo1Q8nN-d7zB_cNsXXhbe8n02UMgiLAv3yqT_jouM

So electromagnetism was involved during the firing of the beam. This isn’t the first time that electromagnetism is mentioned in the Avatarverse, as Jinora brings it up earlier. She also brings up the light spectrum.

9U3cEkQkUftO4Kx7b1QdzW1D_6X5tndPzJkgLPuSiNbBtYR27OMX_J9hpuk6k85FAyfIo2grLDHDLPbw-n5iR-yR-cqeJlaAiZvQpeoLdHgkrdlwfxyGN_o9Wj27YyWlbEFiRzXXn8kNySjqNklf3zU

Speaking of spirit vine energy and Vaatu’s ray, the ttrpg confirms that the energy in the vines and the energy that makes up the spirit portals is the same type of energy. This is self-evident, since Korra bending spirit energy made a portal, but it’s good to have confirmation.

xBOeWCnNir3YGE1IqdEBdt1Vuvj1qCowqyB9_cHMiIefqDMEgGSMbc4mstPn1qJFX0xgeXQWG6PXv7avV8d4ixUabPIjONx-slAzRDCmA3DfKAJolXKc8BDaWQdWvVlK3u0Y95dFhkCR4XJaVy0H0Z0

nElyZKgAmZBu8Pj4gf1JVgfY_P92-n21hpbGg16SheuNbeB3d_fTTyFBF_4L4VUn_h5wTOvV1pvun1aOGvrxBMBFJ2wPxG14CuCrYISsW0lHdN5_lxq8c2gIOAZcrM0xmLzcMO4edlETpCyeHlk5BKI

The creators have said that the portals are spitting out pure energy whose origin is celestial in nature.

lYXPLCbkxFhH5ai2HpAFpCi4Q75QJ8xqyMKrcHyZj0q6hgoUsOY7R3E7lSOOKn7nkWKg_neyOByABP6IalUnWiqR1ZdJbaV5IQ-B27Y1Zy3D-encdLBiTLt55FeC-bg4tMwfhxIvbOaJO0SZ-NYAirg

This is a good quote because it essentially confirms that nature in the avatar world can be observed through a scientific approach, as science, astronomy, etc all exist, but it also can be observed through a supernatural approach. Bending skills are using the real elements: when lightningbending is being used, it’s real lightning. The same thing goes for the spirits: when the moon spirit is fatally wounded, the moon actually disappears, and when the ocean spirit rises up, the creator’s commentary calls it the ocean. Therefore, this same approach should be applied to Raava and Vaatu, as while the concept they embody definitely has an effect on nature, and thus they can be seen as incarnations of good and evil, they should also be producing photons and such with their bodies. Other spirits can also turn into light.

Proof. There is exactly one time where the beam is not straight, and that’s when Varrick accidentally fires it from the train. He did say that reverse magnetic polarity was involved, which sounds like the Faraday effect. After Varrick flees from Kuvira’s army, Baatar Jr copies Varrick’s work and perfects the beam.

Who would this scale to?

If applied, the Colossus, Vaatu, Unavaatu, Raava, and Cosmic Korra would all get “speed of light” with their beams. Anyone who dodges the beams without aim-dodging would also scale.
Honestly, I can't comment on this because I don't understand much about the the standards about lightspeed but what you wrote seems to be correct.
Therefore, lasers/light beams are only accepted as real if they meet, at a minimum, a few of these criteria:

• The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or...
  • The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror.
  • The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources.
  • It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source.
  • It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera.
Furthermore, there are a few criteria which show a beam is NOT real light:

• It is shown at different speeds in the same material.
  • It is tangible and can be interacted with physically by normal humans.
  • They do not travel in straight lines (unless you can prove refraction/reflection, see above.)

Since you've stopped by, Maverick, what do you think of my post here? I've been reluctant to post it cause I'm not ready to deal with the pushback for trying to introduce ftl Avatar.

Who would this scale to?

There are times in the shows where everything slows down as the heroes react to an attacker, seemingly done for cool effect (Aang using airbending to propel himself away from Combustion Man, Zuko running to intercept Azula's lightning away from Katara, Korra reacting to a bomb explosion). In the newest Yangchen novel, there's this passage which hints that this happens in-verse during times of stress. Would this be an example of perception manipulation?

jxlKmCD.jpeg

cZSNpOK.jpeg

Last edited:
No lol

This is just a common narrative tool based off of how time is perceived from adrenaline-drenched people in the real world. It moves slower. You're acutely aware of things happening, moreso than usual. Such and such.

Back