• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fray - Demons and Abstract Existence

azontr

He/Him
In Fray, Demons are embodiments of their Miracles which are in turn embodiments of certain aspects of the World. For example, the Concepts of "Sinking" and "Puppeteering" both have their respective Demons.

Another example of this is shown in the "Life" Demon, Legion, who via embodying "Life" can literally consume the lives of others (their memories and emotions, their abilities, etc).

ANOTHER example of this is shown in certain "Ancient Demons, who embody things such as Fire, and Thunder, that have existed for billions of years as Fire and Thunder have existed for billions of years.

Hence, I propose Demons in Fray get Abstract Existence Type 2, for embodying Concepts.

Should I give my input or (it's not worth since it won't count anyway; some people still prefer others to give input regardless)

This is my input, and I would like to suggest an additional perspective.

The initial statement, "The names of Demons originate from the things they do with their miracles," seems rather straightforward. In other words, it implies that these demons embody their names and have the ability to manipulate them.

Moreover, it indicates that the more intrinsic and abstract a demon's name is, the more powerful they are. If we carefully analyze the words surrounding this statement, we can observe that they represent actual concepts.

War/Death/Mind/Birth/Silence...ect

One intriguing point that caught my interest, although not originally stated by the OP, is the fact that entities like fire and thunder have existed long before human civilization. This suggests that despite their abstract nature, these entities predate reality.

When connecting the dots, we find that:
  • These entities shape the world through their abstract nature.
  • They have existed before the reality we know.
  • They possess the ability to manipulate the miracles associated with their names.
  • Likewise, they physically embody their names.
Given these aspects, I propose that they not only possess an abstract existence of type 2 but also a layered conceptual manipulation type 1. Layered is will be dependent of "how instinct and abstract",

Altho I am not sure in what regards will they be powerful; does it imply attack potency or said manipulation? - this remains unknown till further context is shown.

Last edited:
I will count you as agreeing with the thread, but I think Type 1 CM stuff might be overstretching the original purpose of the thread. Your input is appreciated, though.

I will count you as agreeing with the thread, but I think Type 1 CM stuff might be overstretching the original purpose of the thread. Your input is appreciated, though.
No issues; I simply wanted to give it as a suggestion;
Obviously it won't override your main premise. It simply caught my interest since the sentence itself imply more than a simple conceptual embodiment.

Reading though this, the AE2 is pretty blatant. I obviously agree.

I ain't knowledgeable on Concept shit, but from what I know from the page and stuff; I honestly don't see the concept manip stuff that Dread mentioned, though. Are there any other feats of them altering literal concepts and changing reality, them predating reality, etc...? The whole predating civilization doesn't really imply predating reality as a whole.

Any more feats would be fine, tbh. I can probably see Type 2/1 if there are other feats.

If they don't have any other feats/statements, then I gotta disagree with the concept manip stuff (altho it isn't mentioned in the CRT)

Hence why I did not put it in the CRT and said I MIGHT explore the possibility later in a future revision. This CRT is just to add AE, not to grant any controversial concept shit.

I really don't think this is a good reading of the scan.

"The names of demons originate from the things they do with their miracles. For example, the Sunken Demon is a demon that sinks ships and villages alike."

"Demons are beings that stir up the world using their miracle and make their name known throughout it."

"Thus, the more intrinsic and abstract the name, the more powerful the demon."

I don't see anything in here about "embodiments." All I'm really getting is "demons have miracles (powers) and their names correlate to what they do with their miracle."

ANOTHER example of this is shown in certain "Ancient Demons, who embody things such as Fire, and Thunder, that have existed for billions of years as Fire and Thunder have existed for billions of years.
But it just plainly doesn't say they embody fire, or anything about concepts. Those are just their names.

So I have to disagree with this.

Back