• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

how OP is Dragon Ball super

disclaimer the following will contain spoilers for Dragon Ball super since I'm from Japan I'm going to tell you how overpowered Dragon Ball super has gotte

Episode 1

Minute: 2
Narrator: "And then, six months later…everybody's memories of Boo were erased by the power of the Dragon Balls. Some time has passed since then." Significance: Establishes the timeframe for the series. Some promotional material in Jump has described the series as "half a year" (ie six months) after the battle with Boo, but according to the narration here there's at least a little bit more time than that.

Minute: 5
Context: Goku says how Chi-Chi forced him to get a job. Goten: "The strongest person in the world might actually be Mum…" Significance: The implication here is that Goten originally considered Goku to be the strongest in the world, and the Dragon Team subs even include "rather than you…" on to the end of the sentence, but strictly speaking this isn't explicitly said.

Minute: 11
Trunks: "A present?" Goten: "Yeah. Big Brother Gohan and Videl-san got married, remember? So I want to give Videl-san a present." Significance: Confirms that Gohan and Videl are already married by the start of Super. Some promotional material implied they were not yet married, and some mistranslations of episode 1 got this wrong too.

Minute: 18
Goku: "You've gone to a lot of trouble for us, buildin' such a big house for Gohan's sake…"Significance: Establishes that Mr. Satan built Gohan and Videl's huge house, something Toriyama originally mentioned in his script for RoF.

Minute: 21
Kaioshin: "Esteemed ancestor, another planet has disappeared. What could be happening…?"Significance: When the manga version of this chapter came out, scanslators mistranslated this line so that Kaioshin says "another one of our ancestor's planets has disappeared". But Kaioshin is simply addressing the Elder Kaioshin as "esteemed ancestor", and not saying anything about his ancestors owning planets.

Episode 2

Minute: 10~11
Context: Vegeta thinks about Goku as he gets increasing frustrated with being stuck at the resort instead of training (and people in the crowd keep bumping into him) Vegeta: "After defeating Majin Boo, there should be no doubts that he's Number One…But he stills keeps on training anyway…And so…I…can't…stay here…and fall…even further…" Significance: Calling back to his "you are Number One" speech at the end of the Boo arc, Vegeta restates that Goku is Number One, but now also says he isn't content to remain Number Two (some people considered this inconsistent with his Boo arc speech).

Minute: 14
Whis: "This dinosaur's meat does seem rather tasty, doesn't it? I understand it's pretty famous here in Universe 7." Significance: First mention of Universe 7 in Super. As originally revealed in BoG, Goku and co. inhabit the seventh of twelve universes that make up the DB cosmos, and Toriyama has revealed that Super will eventually see them travel to Universe 6 in search of "giant dragon balls". Oddly, even though Whis and Beerus repeatedly refer to the creature here as a "dinosaur" (µüÉþ½£/kyouryuu), in the next episode Beerus talks about dinosaurs as if they only existed on Earth. One fansub group had Whis make a Game of Thrones reference (saying that the dinosaur meat was "famous throughout the seven kingdoms... I mean the seventh universe"), presumably as an intentional added joke rather than an unintentional mistranslation. Another mistranslated the line to say that the dinosaur meat was the seventh most famous in the universe.

Minute: 18
Elder Kaioshin: "After 39 years…the God of Destruction, Beerus-sama has awoken!"Significance: Mistranslated by fansubbers as "30 million years" rather than 39. Also, I kinda sorta thought he said "35 years" the first time I watched the episode, and said so on Twitter. Whoops. Anyway, 39 years is the same length of time Beerus has slept for at the start of BoG. Meaning that if Super is set earlier than BoG, Beerus must have likewise gone to sleep earlier than in the BoG version of events.

Minute: 19~20
Vegeta: "Kakarot…The one I've acknowledged as the strongest Saiyan…But Kakarot, I have no intention of being content with staying Number Two forever! Someday I will surpass you! No, I'll surpass every living being in this universe…and become the supreme Number One!" Significance: Again, Vegeta admits Goku is the strongest Saiyan, but is not content to remain in second place. This may imply Vegeta considers Goku stronger than Gohan/Gotenks at this point, unless by "strongest Saiyan" he means "strongest pure-blooded Saiyan". Or he just refuses to acknowledge Gohan/Gotenks.

Episode 3

Minute: 3
Beerus: "Say, I've been meaning to ask for a while now…Can't you fly any faster?" Whis: "I'm already the fastest flyer in the universe as it is." Beerus: "Really? I didn't know." Significance: Mistranslated to imply that there's some sort of "universal speed limit" that Whis is unable to pass. The line is really just saying Whis flies faster than anyone else in the universe, but doesn't mean there's some law of nature making it impossible for anyone to fly faster than that. This also foreshadows the revelation that Whis is actually more powerful than Beerus.

Minute: 3~4
Elder Kaioshin: "In this universe, there are gods like us, responsible for creating planets and life…And on the flipside, there is a god responsible for destroying those planets and that life. That's Beerus-sama, the God of Destruction." Kaioshin: "Yes, I know of him. So his destruction does have meaning to it." Elder Kaioshin: "It doesn't. There's no purpose to it. Beerus-sama just destroys on a whim. There's only one thing we can do…Try as hard as we can not to provoke him." Significance: Explaining Beerus' role in the universe. And hey, at least we know Kaioshin had heard of him before!

Minute: 4
Kaioshin: "Only gods can sense Beerus-sama's ki." Significance: The first time this fact is stated in Super; it's also stated a little more directly than in BoG (where Kaio just says Goku can't sense Beerus' ki, without specifically saying that gods can, though Kaio clearly seems able to sense Beerus in the movie). Anyway, this whole "can't be sensed" thing is so far the only special characteristic that has been attributed to the ki of Beerus and other gods, despite a lot of fan speculation about other special "God Ki" powers.

Minute: 9
Beerus: "Didn't you say I'd have a powerful opponent showing up in 39 years?" Oracle Fish: "Indeed. Somewhere, today." Significance: Besides backing up the 39 years thing, this also shows that everything from this episode to the appearance of Super Saiyan God will presumably happen within a single day, like in BoG.

Minute: 10
Beerus: "Hmm? But didn't Freeza destroy Planet Vegeta, where the Saiyans were?" Whis: "Yes, it was you who asked him to do that while you were sleeping, wasn't it?" Beerus: "Well, they pissed me off. Particularly that King Vegeta guy." Significance: In BoG, Beerus implies that he told Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta, although there his line is worded in a vague enough way that it might not necessarily mean that. Here though, Whis' line is very straightforward. Also, to make things extra confusing, the Funi dub of BoG had already adapted the original line in such a way as to remove the ambiguity. But despite what anyone may tell you, the idea that Beerus told Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta did not originate in the Funi dub. Also, in case it's not clear, "it was you who asked him to do that while you were sleeping" means that before Beerus started his 39-year nap, he asked Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta for him sometime during that 39-year period. In other words, Beerus didn't make this request while asleep, as if he were talking in his sleep or something. This seems to be something certain translations get wrong.

Context: Beerus and Whis discuss the surviving Saiyans Whis: "Most of them are in 4032, on Green Planet 887…A planet called Earth." Beerus: "'Earth'? I think I went there once…Wasn't that the planet where those guys called 'dinosaurs' or whatever were acting all rude, so I drove them all to extinction?" Significance: When the manga version of this episode came out, scanslators mistranslated this line so that Beerus said he had sent a rude dinosaur to Earth to wipe out its inhabitants. Tragically, this is not actually what he says, as you can see. This line about Beerus being the one to wipe out Earth's dinosaurs originally appeared in the extended edition of BoG. As many people were quick to point out, this line is a bit weird in that a) the series has consistently shown that dinosaurs are still around on DB Earth, and b) you can even see a dinosaur on Earth in BoG! Maybe a few survived Beerus' wrath? Unless DB Earth has a Jurassic Park?

Minute: 12
Whis: "It seems the Saiyans have learned a technique that causes them to mutate and multiplies their battle power many times over. If I'm not mistaken, they call it 'Super Saiyan'."Significance: Besides the multiplier stuff, it's kind of odd to see Super Saiyan described as a "mutation" (þ¬üþäÂÕñëþò░/totsuzen hen'i) rather than a transformation (ÕñëÞ║½/henshin). The title for Super ep.7 seems to do this too.

Minute: 13
Beerus: "Whis, how long would it take to get to the north Kaio's planet?" Whis: "26 minutes and 44 seconds, I'd say." Beerus: "It's that far away?! I could watch an entire anime episode in that time!" Significance: Apparently some fansubs said "Chinese cartoon" rather than "anime". Though that was probably an intentional joke. Probably. Anyway, this line appears in BoG too.

Minute: 19~20
Elder Kaioshin: "After waking up, Beerus-sama destroyed eight and a half planets in just half a day." Kaioshin: "Did Beerus-sama really do all that in such a short time?" Elder Kaioshin: "That's what makes Beerus-sama so terrifying. As a matter of fact, it was Beerus-sama who sealed me up in the Z-Sword, too! That, too, happened in the blink of an eye." Significance: The line about Beerus destroying "eight and a half planets in just half a day" was mistranslated in various way. Toriyama first mentioned that Beerus was the one to seal Elder Kaioshin away in his Twel-Boo Q&A. Going off the official timeline, Elder Kaioshin was sealed 75 million years ago, therefore making Beerus at least that old, and in fact Super ep.5 establishes him as "hundreds of millions" of years old.

Minute: 21
Elder Kaioshin: "Beerus-sama's actions are no different from the workings of nature. We can do nothing but wait until the storm passes. He might not settle for a planet or two this time…The entire universe might disappear!" Kaioshin: "T-The entire universe?" Significance: Yes, the entire universe. Really. You can take his word for it. Yep.

Episode 4

Minute: 2
Beerus: "There's nothing but Planet Watrin's friend salmon and Nebula 65's chicken in tartar sauce in here! I'm so tired of their tastes." Whis: "How can you say you're tired of them, when I've only made you this once before, 160 years ago? That time you destroyed Planet Monser." Significance: The name of the planet here is a bit contentious. Japanese Wikipedia spells it as ÒéªÒé®Òâ╝ÒâêÒâ¬Òâ│, and since ÒéªÒé®Òâ╝ is used in kana spellings to approximate the English "wa" sound, going by this spelling the planet's name would be romanized as "Watorin" or "Watrin". However, some people (such as Julian) heard it as more like Òé¬Òâ╝ÒâêÒâ¬Òâ│, romanized as "Ōtorin" or "Ōtrin", and the former is what Kanzenshuu has gone with so far. We'll probably just have to wait for a spelling from an official source, and until then it's probably best to hold off speculating about name puns. Planet Monser (ÒâóÒâ│ÒéÁÒâ╝/Monsaa), however, might be a pun on "salmon" (ÒéÁÒâ╝ÒâóÒâ│/saamon, and so perhaps might best be spelled "Monsal".

Minute: 16
Context: As Vegeta trains in the gravity chamber Vegeta: "Even 150-fold gravity has outlived its purpose…" Significance: "Outlived its purpose" in the sense of no longer being useful for training. Fansubs mistranslated this line as Vegeta saying a power level of 150,000 was no longer useful.

Minute: 20
Goku: "Then he's strong, right?" Kaio: "He's on a level far beyond 'strong'! He's capable of destroying absolutely everything there is. Nobody stands a chance against him." Significance: In this case, "absolutely everything there is" means everything in ÒüôÒü«õ©û/kono-yo, literally "this world", though often used to mean the living world in contrast to the afterlife (though here Kaio seems to be using the term in a broader sense than that).

Episode 5

Minute: 3
Beerus: "Long time no see, North Kaio. How many years has it been?" Kaio: "Ah, well, let's see…1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7…" Whis: "327 years." Significance: I admit, I thought he said 321 the first time I saw the episode. And apparently some fansubbers thought the same. Anyway, this previous visit is when Beerus destroyed Kaio's planet.

Minute: 4
Beerus: "So it's tasty, huh? If it's as bad as it was last time, I'm gonna make this planet even smaller. About the size of that shed over there." Significance: Though it's not exactly spelled out, the implication is that last time Beerus destroyed the planet during his last visit because he didn't like the food, resulting in it being the small size it is now. Toriyama originally introduced this idea in a Saiyan Arc Full Color Comic Q&A released in the lead-up to BoG, though there the reason for Beerus getting mad and destroying the planet was that he lost at a racing video game. In BoG itself, the reason was changed to Beerus having lost at hide-and-seek. Besides the new reason, Super is the first time Beerus threatens to make the planet even smaller.

Minute: 6
Context: After Beerus has inspected Goku (in his regular, non-Super Saiyan state), and mentioned Goku having defeated Freeza Beerus: "You don't look like you'd possibly be able to beat him as you are now, but you're one of those transforming Saiyans, right? You can turn into that Super Saiyan thing." Significance: A mostly similar line originally appeared in BoG. The line here is basically the same, except it adds in Õê░Õ║ò/toutei for extra emphasis, changing it from "you don't look like you'd be able to beat him as you are now" to "you don't look like you'd possibly be able to beat him as you are now" (the "but you're one of those transforming Saiyans, right?" part wasn't really there in BoG either). The big idea being that Goku in his "base" state is apparently still inferior to Freeza. Unless Beerus is wrong, of course.

Minute: 8
Context: after Goku requests a match with Beerus to see his power Beerus: "I've lived for hundreds of millions of years, but I've never heard anyone utter such a unique line." Significance: Establishes Beerus' age as hundreds of millions of years. Ever since Toriyama revealed he was the one who sealed Elder Kaioshin away, we've known he presumably must be at least 75 million years old (since that's the duration of Elder Kaioshin's imprisonment). Apparently the DB wikia has said Beerus was exactly 75 million years old, but that was never specified in any official source, and is now contradicted by this line.

Kaio: "Goku, don't be a fool! Beerus-sama is in an entirely different league from anyone you've fought before! He's so strong that he can send the likes of you flying to the furthest ends of the universe with a single snort, as if you were a mere booger!" Significance: In Japanese this is a bit of typical Kaio wordplay, since the phrase "so strong that he can send the likes of you flying to the furthest ends of the universe with a single snort, is if you were a mere booger" involves a long string of words beginning with "ha". The phrase "furthest ends of the universe" (Õ«çÕ«ÖÒü«µ×£Òüª/uchuu no hate) is probably best not taken literally. Some fansubbers mistranslated this line to say that Beerus could expand his power from one end of the universe to the other, destroying everything. "Different league" here is literally different "dimension" (µ¼íÕàâ/jigen) in Japanese, and it's a common stock phrase to describe super powerful people throughout the series, such as Super Saiyan Goku, mighty Kaioshin, and recently the revived Freeza in RoF. The "dimension" bit is therefore definitely not to be taken literally. More on this later…

Context: After Super Saiyan Goku has fought Beerus for a little bit Beerus: "You're pretty good. I can see how you managed to defeat Freeza. But if this is all you've got, defeating Freeza would probably be the best you're capable of." Goku: "Oh, really…? See for yourself if that's all I'm capable of."Significance: Some fansubbers mistranslated this to Beerus saying Super Saiyan Goku would have a hard time defeating Freeza, or even that Super Saiyan Goku couldn't defeat Freeza! Of course, in actual fact Super Saiyan Goku did have a bit of a hard time defeating Freeza (if only because of Freeza being a cheap jerk), but he's supposed to have grown a lot stronger since then. Arguably even the properly translated line doesn't properly reflect just how much stronger Super Saiyan Goku should be than Freeza, but it's not the same as Beerus explicitly saying Goku would struggle against Freeza and/or lose. We've also seen that Beerus doesn't seem aware of any non-god stronger than Freeza, which may factor in here. Anyway, regardless of what Beerus says, Goku doesn't seem to agree that Beerus has the full measure of his power.

Minute: 13
Goku: "Punches from a Super Saiyan 2 ain't even scratchin' you…You really are somethin'. You're on a whole different level." Significance: "Whole different level" is literally "different dimension", like in the Kaio quote above. Some fansubbers mistranslated this line so that Goku claims the punches of a Super Saiyan 2 can break through dimensions and/or send his opponents to another dimension.

Minute: 16~17
Context: Goku charges Beerus, then suddenly draws back, apparently by instinct Goku: "What? Why'd I retreat?" Beerus: "You really are something. Actually, I was thinking of attacking just now. If you hadn't moved away, you'd have lost…No doubt about it. You can't sense the ki of deities. Even so, you dodged. Could you be a fighting prodigy? You might actually still be hiding some power…Like, say…the power of Super Saiyan God?" Significance: I just thought this was an interesting line. And I'm sure someone out there has mistranslated it.

Minute: 20
Context: after Goku regains consciousness following his fight with Beerus Goku: "This ain't good. The only way to get stronger would be to merge with Vegeta…and even then, I don't think I could win." Significance: Pretty much the same line originally appeared in the extended edition of BoG. The word for "merge" here is ÕÉêõ¢ô/gattai, which in Japanese is used to refer to both Potara fusion and the Fusion dance. Though in Japanese the proper name for the Metamorean dance-style Fusion is simply the English word "Fusion" (ÒâòÒâÑÒâ╝Òé©ÒâºÒâ│/Fuujon), this is treated as a proper noun and the process itself is referred to with Japanese words for fusing/merging such as Þ×ìÕÉê/yuugou andÒÇÇÕÉêõ¢ô/gattai. Goku even introduces the Fusion dance as a ÕÉêõ¢ôµèÇ/gattai-waza, "merging technique", when the concept makes its debut in chapter 469. On the other hand, the process of fusing with the Potara is always described as ÕÉêõ¢ô/gattai, and not with the English word "Fusion" or the Japanese Þ×ìÕÉê/yuugou.

Episode 6

Minute: 2~3
Context: Goku is raring to take off for Earth, but Kaio is restraining him Kaio: "No, absolutely not! You can't go to the party!" Goku: "Why not? Just a while ago you were talkin' like you wanted me to go." Kaio: "And you said you didn't want to!" Goku: "Well, yeah...Anyway, the power of the Senzu sure is amazin'! I'm completely healed up!" Kaio: "I shouldn't have given you one..." Significance: So, Kaio wants Goku to NOT go to the party, because that's where Beerus is, and he doesn't want Goku to meet up with Beerus again. Of course, in episode 4 Kaio had told Goku to go to the party, which was also an attempt to prevent Goku from meeting Beerus, since at the time Beerus was heading for Kaio's planet. Even though Kaio consistently doesn't want Goku to meet Beerus, his apparent change in attitude regarding the party confuses Goku here...and apparently confused some fansubbers, who got everything backwards and mistranslated the above dialogue so that Kaio repeatedly demands that Goku go to the party. They also mistranslated things so that any mention of the Senzu drop out. Instead of Goku saying the Senzu are amazingly powerful (ie they have powerful healing effects), he says Beerus is amazingly powerful. Oops.

Minute: 7
Context: During Vegeta's flashback, Beerus beats up King Vegeta and explains what King Vegeta did to offend him. Beerus: "I ordered you to bring me the most comfortable pillow in the universe. So you stole it from some planet somewhere. I don't know how many people you killed to get it...You then kept that one to yourself, and gave me the second most comfortable one! What, did you think I wouldn't notice?!" Significance: While I haven't heard about this dialogue being outrageously mistranslated anywhere, it's probably the one big bit of new backstory introduced in ep.6, so I might as well include it here for reference purposes. This might also be my favorite joke in Super so far.

Kuririn: "Well, this is...Russian Octopus Balls! It's set up so that a single ball filled with heaps of wasabi instead of octopus meat was added to the mix!" Significance: Octopus balls (Takoyaki) are a Japanese snack consisting of fried balls of batter filled with diced octopus meat and various other ingredients. The twist here, as Kuririn explains, is that one (but only one) of the balls is filled with ultra-spicy wasabi rather than octopus meat, so that anyone helping themselves to the balls risks biting into a big mouthful of wasabi (if you've never tried wasabi before, trust me that this is a bad thing). Presumably the "Russian" comes from this being a less lethal version of Russian Roulette. So Beerus tries one, making Vegeta worry that he'll eat the wasabi-filled one, freak out, and destroy the Earth (and in BoG, Beerus actually does freak out and destroy several small planets after tasting wasabi for the first time). Thankfully, Beerus picks a regular one and finds it delicious, while Kuririn happens to pick the wasabi one and cries "why me?!" in agony. Apparently this whole concept was not properly explained in some speed subs.

Beerus: "I don't know what this wasabi thing is...but these Russian Octopus Balls do look incredibly tempting." Whis: "It looks rather similar to the super sweet black cherry sauce from Planet Banna. It smells rather different though." Significance: Yet another random planet mentioned in passing by Whis. Presumably the "it" which Whis thinks resembles Planet Banna's black cherry sauce is the takoyaki sauce, which has that sort of dark color.

Context: Beerus asks Vegeta what his relationship with Goku is Vegeta: "W-Well, I guess we're like rivals." Beerus: "You guess?" Significant: This line varied a lot between different translations. In Japanese, Vegeta says he and Goku could be described as kataki doushi, a pair of rivals/enemies. The word kataki can mean not only rivals or opponents in sports, but also enemies in war. In context "rival" is probably best, since Vegeta doesn't say it with any apparent malice, and his attitude towards Goku in ep.2 seems more "friendly rival", in keeping with how their relationship developed in the Boo arc. Some translations opted for "enemy" or "opponent", which is not technically wrong but isn't really the best word choice for this context. Apparently some even went with "battle comrade", which is pretty much wrong since it implies people who fight alongside side each other rather than against each other (of course, Goku and Vegeta have fought alongside each other sometimes, but Vegeta doesn't mention anything about that).

Episode 7
On Holiday

Episode 8

Context: After Beerus defeats angry Vegeta Beerus: "It's been a long time since I've used 10% or so of my full strength. Well, this was more fun than with that Saiyan over at North Kaio's place."Significance: So it seems Beerus used approximately 10% of his full strength to defeat angry Vegeta, and since it's "been a long time" since he's done that, presumably he used less power when defeating Super Saiyan 3 Goku back in episode 5. The word for 10% here is ´╝æÕë▓/ichi-wari, the same pattern used in BoG when Whis talks about Beerus fighting at 70% of his power, and SSG Goku talks about fighting at 80%. In contrast, Freeza always used the English word "percent" (so he describes his 100% full power as 100ÒâæÒâ╝Òé╗Òâ│Òâê/hyaku-paasento). Some people have mistranslated ´╝æÕë▓/ichi-wari as only 1%. The term Beerus uses to describe his full power here is µ£¼µ░ùÒéÆÕç║ÒüÖ/honki wo dasu, meaning to make a serious effort or go all-out (in contrast, Freeza again uses the actual English words "full power": ÒâòÒâ½ÒâæÒâ»Òâ╝/furu pawaa). So a more literal translation would be something like "It's been a long time since I've gone 10% or so all-out", but I thought that sounded both weird and more ambiguous than the phrase is in Japanese.

Minute: 24
Context: Goku asks Beerus for one final chance to discover the truth about Super Saiyan GodBeerus: "If this next thing doesn't work out, then I'll destroy the Earth...no, the entire solar system."Significance: So Beerus is, as the kids say, a "solar sytem buster". Or he claims so, anyway. This matches Whis' statement in BoG that if angered, Beerus will destroy the entire solar system in no time flat. Apparently some subs mistranslated this line so that Beerus says he will destroy not only Earth but the entire galaxy. The word in question here is Õñ¬ÚÖ¢þ│╗/taiyou-kei, which means "solar system" in as straightforward and unambiguous a way as possible: Õñ¬ÚÖ¢/taiyou=sun/solar, and þ│╗/kei=system. These sorts of mistranslations seem to pop up largely due to people apparently thinking that "solar system" and "galaxy" mean the same thing (but that's a rant for another day).

Episode 9

Context: Beerus sees Earth's dragon balls Beerus: "Oh, these resemble wish orbs." Whis: "It's because the God of Earth is apparently a Namekian." Beerus: "I thought wish orbs were bigger. Hmm, am I just imagining things?" Whis: "No you are not. The Earth's wish orbs are apparently small." Significance: Shows Beerus and Whis are familiar with Namek's dragon balls. The third chapter of the Super manga also had Champa looking for "huge wish orbs", which the Kaioshins assumed were the Namekian dragon balls. Possible foreshadowing? One speed sub mistranslated Beerus' statement as "These look a bit different than the magic balls of desire" and Whis' reply as "These earth version is similar in many aspects to those on Namek"

Minute: 8~9
Context: Shenlong explains about SSG Shenlong: "Super Saiyan God is a god from Saiyan mythology, and does not currently exist. However, I can tell you the method for creating him. This is recorded in a Namekian book of legends: 'if five Saiyans with righteous hearts join hands and pour their hearts into another righteous Saiyan, he will become the god of the Saiyans. In other words, he will become Super Saiyan God'". Significance: Super leaves out much of the SSG backstory that was featured in BoG, including everything about a small group of good Saiyans creating SSG to combat all of the evil Saiyans. No mention of a time limit either. Instead we learn that the method for creating SSG was recorded in a "Namekian book of legends", perhaps in order to explain why Shenlong knows about it. The word Õ┐â/kokoro is literally "heart" but can also mean "mind" or "spirit". I know DT went with "spirit", but somehow I liked "heart" better. Well, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other, since clearly it's not a literal, physical heart that's meant here.

Context: Videl has revealed she's pregnant with Gohan's child Chi Chi: "Have you decided on a name yet?" Gohan: "No, not yet." Chi Chi: "Then leave it to me. Coming from Goku and Gohan, how 'bout 'Gomen'?" Significance: As revealed in the Japanese CC for the episode, the intended kanji spelling for Chi Chi's suggested name is µéƒÚ║║. The µéƒ/Go means "to understand" and is the same as in Goku and Gohan, while Ú║║/men means "noodles" and is a takeoff of how the han in "Gohan" (Úú») means "rice". So it's substituting one staple food for another, to keep with the family name scheme. As any Japanese 101 student knows, gomen is also one of the Japanese words for "sorry" (short for gomenasai). I guess that's…maybe part of the joke here, but it's not the whole story. Now, obviously Videl's child is Pan, as featured at the tail end of the manga and more prominently in GT, not to mention RoF more recently. "Pan" is a pun on the Japanese word for bread, which derives from the Portuguese p├úo (rather than the Spanish "pan", confusingly enough). It's usually written in katakana as ÒâæÒâ│, like the character's name, but can be written with the kanji Ú║║Ú║¡, with the Ú║║ being that character for "noodles" again. So, viewed one way, the joke is that Chi Chi is suggesting a name from the same source as "Pan", but written in kanji and formatted the same as Goku and Gohan's name (whereas "Pan" is written in katakana like Videl or Mister Satan's name). Viewed another way, it simply keeps the "staple food item" theme going: Gohan=rice, Pan=bread, Gomen=noodles. Anyway, unless Super drastically departs from the manga and RoF, Gohan and Videl's child will presumably end up named "Pan" rather than "Gomen".

Minute: 25
Context: Goku has finally transformed into SSG Chi Chi: "He's gotten younger, ain't he?"Significance: Goku looks slimmer and younger in his SSG form, hence Chi Chi's question. A fairly straightforward statement, but some speedsub mistranslated it as "did his power really increase?"

Episode 10

Minute: 6
Context: After Goku has become Super Saiyan God Gohan: "I can't sense dad's ki at all." Whis: "That's fine. After all, the ki a god emits cannot be sensed by ordinary humans." Gohan: "Then dad really is a..." Whis: "Yes, Super Saiyan God. I don't know whether he's the same as Beerus-sama or the Kaioshins, but at the very least he's become as much of a god as they are." Significance: Re-re-reinforcing the idea that non-gods can't sense a god's ki. Whis' final statement is also open to interpretation. He doesn't know if SSG Goku is "the same" (ÕÉîÒüÿ) as Beerus or the Kaioshins, but seems sure that Goku has at least become ÕÉîþ¡ëÒü«þÑ×/doutou no kami, literally the "same level" of god, less literally an equivalent god, equivalently a god, the same caliber of god, etc. Whether or not this means Goku actually ranks as high as Kaioshin or Beerus in DB's somewhat complex god hierarchy, I don't know. Overall I think it probably just means Goku is definitely a god, as much as Beerus and the Kaioshins, but that he's not necessarily the same type of god. If nothing else, SSG Goku doesn't seem to have a job or position maintaining the balance of the universe and all that jazz, the way the Kaioshins/Beerus do, so the idea that he has an official rank in that hierarchy seems odd, until/unless we get further clarification.

Minute: 7
Context: As SSG Goku and Beerus are fighting, Elder Kaioshin calls up North Kaio to complain about the battle. Elder Kaioshin: "Don't you understand what will happen to this universe if Beerus-sama gets serious?" Kaio: "Yeah, it's alright. Goku may have become Super Saiyan God, but even so, I don't think that'll be enough to get Beerus to fight seriously." Significance: Seems like another reference to the idea that Beerus can destroy the entire universe. It may also be foreshadowing something that will happen in ep.12 "The Universe Crumbles?! Clash! The God of Destruction vs Super Saiyan God!"

Context: SSG Goku and Beerus continue to fight Beerus: "But in this universe there is no one stronger than me, the God of Destruction." Significance: At the end of BoG, it was revealed that Whis was actually Beerus' martial arts master and the strongest person Beerus ever fought, and we see more of Whis' power in RoF. If Super follows BoG/RoF when it comes to Whis, then Beerus must totally be lying here. However, possibly Whis' won't be stronger than Beerus in Super. Or maybe he doesn't count as part of this universe…

Context: Goku takes one of Beerus' attacks and keeps on ticking Goku: "Yeah, if I had got hit with an attack like that back when you met me on Kaio's planet, I would definitely have died, no doubt about it."

Minute: 22
Context: After Beerus and SSG Goku have fought for most of the episode Beerus: "It looks like you've mostly gotten used to the power of Super Saiyan God. As a result, I'm starting to enjoy this too." Significance: In a nutshell, ep.10 is just Goku "breaking in" his SSG form so that he can really use the form to its full capacity. Beerus seems to go along with this, still not fighting Goku seriously and just trying to have an enjoyable fight.

Minute: 24
Goku: "I'm still not even close to serious." Significance: As above, Goku has just spent the episode getting used to his new form and still isn't giving the fight his all yet.

Episode 11

Context: Bulma's plane/spaceship thing is having engine troubles, and Gohan complains Bulma: "Can't you just fly there with that 'Bukujutsu' thing?" Gohan: "I'd really like to, but…" Goten: "I don't have the strength." Bulma: "What? And at a critical time like this! Really now." Goten, Gohan: "Hahahaha…" Piccolo (thinking): "Could this be an effect of the ritual for the Super Saiyan God transformation? Well, either way, this is no longer a battle we can play a part in." Significance: So that's why Gohan and Goten are hanging out in the plane rather than flying on their own. But what's Piccolo's excuse?

Minute: 8
Goku: "Just as I'd expect, Beerus-sama's attacks really have an impact." Beerus: "This time I'll give you a big one as a present."
  • Beerus forms an energy ball*
Goku: "That's way huger than before, ain't it?" Beerus: "It's an extra-large helping, free of charge!" Significance: A þë╣þøø/tokumori is an extra-large portion of food. At restaurants it typically goes õ©ªþøø/namimori (ordinary size), then Õñºþøø/oomori (large size), followed by tokumori. The character Oomori from Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is named after the large size serving.

Context: Bulma and co. continue to look for Goku and Beerus Bulma: "Can't you guys search them out with that 'ki' thing you're so good at?" Gohan: "We can't sense the ki of gods." Significance: Seems like we get a reference to this concept at least once an episode now. Anyway, can't they just use Dende? Well, whatever.

Context: Bulma and co. finally get close enough to see Goku fighting Beerus Piccolo: "Unbelievable. He's evenly trading blows with the God of Destruction." Gohan: "Evenly? No, no. He may have already surpassed him." Significance: Of course, Piccolo and Gohan's thoughts get contradicted almost immediately…

Minute: 11-12
Goku: "You still ain't putting out all your power, are you?" Beerus: "You can tell, huh? Sorry about that. I just thought that with someone like you, the fight would last longer if I let you get carried away."
  • off in the Kaioshin Realm*
East Kaioshin: "Ancestor, is Beerus-sama intentionally holding back to make it look like Goku's beating him up?" Elder Kaioshin: "Apparently." East: "Why would he do that?" Elder: "Once he's raised Goku all the way into a complete Super Saiyan God, then he'll crush him with his full strength." East: "Huh? What's the point of that?" Elder: "Hmmm…For fun? Beerus-sama is scary like that, after all."

Minute: 12
Context: Following up Goku's comment that Beerus isn't fighting all-out yet Goku: "Hehe, but I think I understand. Once someone's gone and gotten as strong as you have, Beerus-sama, there ain't really anyone left that you can fight with your full power. And so—" Beerus: "Enough talk. You don't get it at all." Significance: Beerus=Saitama, confirmed. Well, except Whis throws the analogy out of whack. And Champa too, probably. Maybe that's what Beerus means when he says Goku doesn't really understand?

Minute: 15
Context: As Beerus slams Goku down onto the island, everyone in the plane watches Piccolo: "Does this mean that in the end, even having the power of Super Saiyan God isn't enough to match the power of the God of Destruction?"

Context: Beerus finds Goku lying on the ground after crashing into the island Beerus: "Good thing you escaped at the moment of the explosion." Significance: The implication apparently being that Goku would have taken even more damage or maybe even died if he hadn't. The whole idea seems like a callback to Freeza's "Entrapment Ball" that he used against Goku on Namek, where Goku also escaped at the moment of the explosion.

Context: Beerus sits on Goku's chest and starts punching him. Beerus: "I'm so sleepy…sleepy sleepy sleepy sleepy sleepy sleepy sleepy sleepy sleepy sleepy I can't stand it!"

Back