• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How to define spite or stomp threads

Unclechairman

VS Battles
Retired
Recently, there was an argument on this thread over what constitiutes a spite or stomp thread. We have a rule against the creation of these threads, but haven't done much to define the parameters of what exactly constitutes a spite or stomp thread, and the page on them is not particularly helpful either. The only definition given is a match between two characters where one is obviously outclassed against the other. This brings up the question of what it means to be "obviously outclassed". Someone brought up that Beerus and Omega Shenron are both Tier 3 characters, and we have put characters in different tiers against each other and still got a decently even match (e.g. Goku vs Sailor Moon). However, in this case, there was almost unanimous agreement that Beerus stomps Omega Shenron.

Why is this important? QuincyKing wanted a ban on all Dragon Ball Super vs. Dragon Ball GT threads on the basis that they are all spite or stomp threads, and if they really are spite or stomp threads, our wiki rules would seem to necessitate a ban.

Also, does a discussion like this belong on the Staff Only board? If not, I can move it to the General Discussion board.

I don't think that there are definitive rules, except that too mismatched tiers with no hax to make up for it are inappropriate.

However, no this type of discussion is definitely best suited for the staff only board.

Maybe we should make some kind of thread where members can ask if a certain matchup would be unfair, to avoid mismatches in the future.

It is an idea I suppose. This is one of those cases when common sense is necessary on an individual basis.

You're right, I was thinking that if a user is really torn on weather or not they are about to make a spite thread, then they would post their question on said thread and wait for a response from a staff member or other long-time member.

And it should heavily noted that no derailments of the threads main purpose will be permitted.

Well, it would be an extra chore for the staff, as people might constantly suggests a massive amount of matchups, and the staff would then constantly have to look them up. I obviously much prefer if the staff mostly focus on trying to maintain order in the wiki.

Apparently it still isn't clear that this is a STAFF ONLY board....

But yeah, I see your point Ant.

Having to pre-approve matches before they are done is ridiculously counter-productive and unnecessary, as at that point, a lot of the match is already decided, and it also requires that the staff as a collective have a certain degree of knowledge on every verse in the wiki, which is highly unlikely, since we only have 10-15 staff members and likely at least over a hundred verses and rising.

So we have to decide these on a case-by-case basis, don't we? While there will always be the obvious ones where the victor can be determined by merely a glance at the combatants' profiles (e.g., Goku VS. Blaze), there's also the ones where such a process does not give an accurate picture of the battle (e.g., Goku VS. Odin; by looking at their profiles, you'd think it'd be a great match, but then someone with extensive knowledge of Odin's abilities comes in and reveals that the fight was a stomp thread in Odin's favor, after all). And the only difference between spite threads and stomp threads is one of intention, of which we can never quite know for certain.

Well, we are talking about the obvious ones with enormous tier differences here, not ones such as Goku versus Odin, in which Odin wins due to hax.

I am not saying that we pre-approve matches. I was suggesting we make a thread where members who are not quite certain whether or not they are about to make a stomp thread or not could simply ask if so. The answer would be as simple as yes, to, "no, there is a wide gap in power." The arguing would be done in the actual threads themselves.

Of course, now I see that this isn't the best solution either.

Well, technically members shouldn't need our help to see that 1-C and 3-B, or 3-B and 6-A, etcetera, characters are ridiculous matchups.

Antvasima said:
Well, we are talking about the obvious ones with enormous tier differences here, not ones such as Goku versus Odin, in which Odin wins due to hax.
Is a single tier considered an enormous tier difference? In the thread in question, there was only a single tier's worth of difference between the characters.

As the tiers get higher, even the smallest gaps could be enormous.

Yup. The higher tier, the higher difference.

Back