• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How will TikTok's ban in the US affect the powerscaling community?

Will we get affected negatively like how Tumblr users infected other websites after Tumblr started banning some content?

Will we get affected positively?

I feel like we will get a positive impact. TikTok seems to have been a negative influence on powerscalers from what I've seen, resorting to flashy short-forn videos and bias rather than making arguments. Maybe little Timmy will gain a higher attention span and become less toxic after the ban.

I've seen some garbage ticktok powerscaling that made my head spin. Honestly, it's not a bad thing for powerscaling with tictok gone we'll just hear less terrible takes, nothing more, nothing less. I know the people that do use it gonna flip (not sure why you'd use tictok as a source of info though, be it vs debating or other)

A bit unrelated but even though TikTok being banned would benefit powerscaling since all the wankers will lose a place to powerscale, but I disagree with the idea of the whole site being banned for other reasons.

While TikTok has a lot of detriments, like how it encourages people to commit dangerous and immoral activities for clout. I have used TikTok for years and trends where you do something immoral for clout have died down, they still exist. More than other social media but not incredibly worse than them.

It also lowered the attention span of millions of people, teenagers and kids with unfiltered access to the internet. That's partly the fault of the parents, but leaving children alone on the internet now is way worse than how bad it was years ago. So much exposure to short form content turned kids into serotonin drug-addict-like addicts. This is an issue with short form content in general though. It lowers the attention span of everyone.

There's also the issues with the Chinese government being able to change laws to force TikTok to share their information with the CCP, if TikTok isn't already doing it.

Despite that, I am hesitant to advocate to ban TikTok. It serves as a place where right-wing and left-wing people can freely discuss and share their ideas, there isn't much political censorship there compared to other sites.

Also, since TikTok made a competitor for Walmart and Amazon, TikTok shop, those companies have been advocating to ban TikTok so there's a clear conflict of interest. Greedy capitalist companies are trying to get rid of their competition.

There's also the fact that thousands of US jobs need TikTok. They exist due to TikTok or promote their products there so a ban on TikTok would leave thousands of Americans jobless and without a method to promote their business.

Either way, I'd personally be benefitted a lot if TikTok gets banned. Hopefully if that happens, it will fix the attention span of all those internet-addicted kids.

A bit unrelated but even though TikTok being banned would benefit powerscaling since all the wankers will lose a place to powerscale, but I disagree with the idea of the whole site being banned for other reasons.

While TikTok has a lot of detriments, like how it encourages people to commit dangerous and immoral activities for clout. I have used TikTok for years and trends where you do something immoral for clout have died down, they still exist. More than other social media but not incredibly worse than them.

It also lowered the attention span of millions of people, teenagers and kids with unfiltered access to the internet. That's partly the fault of the parents, but leaving children alone on the internet now is way worse than how bad it was years ago. So much exposure to short form content turned kids into serotonin drug-addict-like addicts. This is an issue with short form content in general though. It lowers the attention span of everyone.

There's also the issues with the Chinese government being able to change laws to force TikTok to share their information with the CCP, if TikTok isn't already doing it.

Despite that, I am hesitant to advocate to ban TikTok. It serves as a place where right-wing and left-wing people can freely discuss and share their ideas, there isn't much political censorship there compared to other sites.

Also, since TikTok made a competitor for Walmart and Amazon, TikTok shop, those companies have been advocating to ban TikTok so there's a clear conflict of interest. Greedy capitalist companies are trying to get rid of their competition.

There's also the fact that thousands of US jobs need TikTok. They exist due to TikTok or promote their products there so a ban on TikTok would leave thousands of Americans jobless and without a method to promote their business.

Either way, I'd personally be benefitted a lot if TikTok gets banned. Hopefully if that happens, it will fix the attention span of all those internet-addicted kids.
Ah, I was wrong about China being able to access the information of American citizens. So I'll change my statement.

Our information is stored in Texas by an American company called Oracle. The Chinese government doesn't have access to it. What the anti-TikTok politicians are doing are saying that TikTok is a Chinese company since they have a headquarters in China, but that's true for other companies like apple for example. TikTok is not even owned by China, the creators of TikTok are from Singapore, the owners of TikTok vary from employees of the company to international investors, not China.

So either these politicians are misinformed which is a bad look for people that directly affect me, they have a bias against Chinese to the point that they confuse different Asians with each other, or they have an agenda and are using the whole "China is stealing the data of Americans" thing to pass a bill that gives them more power.

It's likely all three at once, in my opinion. I mean, the bill is outrageous, it wouldn't just ban TikTok, it would let the government have the capability to ban pretty much any social media, website, application that doesn't come from the United States. So much government control over the media is outrageous. I don't think anything good will come out of it.

Except of course, that I will see less powerscaling wank which is always a plus, but I can find that even when I log on here sooooo ¯\(ツ)

TikTok probably has the worst powerscaling I’ve ever seen it’s either extreme wank or crazy downplay. If the ban goes through it’s a blessing in disguise.
They'll all flock to other forums without their main social media of choice, VsBattles included.
I never even used Tiktok in my life, so I don't really got anything to lose
YT Shorts has always been my go-to so I have no stake in it either if I was American (I'm not)
It's likely all three at once, in my opinion. I mean, the bill is outrageous, it wouldn't just ban TikTok, it would let the government have the capability to ban pretty much any social media, website, application that doesn't come from the United States. So much government control over the media is outrageous. I don't think anything good will come out of it.
In my humble opinion and my adjacent political knowledge, it's literally only because TikTok is Chinese that the US government has probable cause to crack down on it. Otherwise, it would heavily violate the First Amendment, which protects a lot of other social media companies which are comparably brainrot inducing and harmful to the populace. Previous attempts to ban TikTok during the previous administration were shot down by the courts for this reason, despite already heavily being in the crosshairs of the then-Republican government and a Conservative majority in the Supreme Court.

I will admit that the implications are disturbing but consider like, India already banned it and it hasn't really done anything terrible to its populace of 1 billion people.

On another note, good riddance too, as it serves even less brain rot for the younger generation putting themselves in danger over some cringey challenges. And it had the worst powerscaling I've seen, ranging from massive wank and downplay
Big reason I like it’s getting banned. Its really informative for stuff going on in today’s world like Israel and Palestine but its REALLY damaging for today’s youth with misinformation, with hyper specific representations of life that most aren’t involved in. Like the internet overall, its just messing with people’s head on what’s normal and whats not for life and one part getting removed is a good thing more than bad

They'll all flock to other forums without their main social media of choice, VsBattles included.

YT Shorts has always been my go-to so I have no stake in it either if I was American (I'm not)

In my humble opinion and my adjacent political knowledge, it's literally only because TikTok is Chinese that the US government has probable cause to crack down on it. Otherwise, it would heavily violate the First Amendment, which protects a lot of other social media companies which are comparably brainrot inducing and harmful to the populace. Previous attempts to ban TikTok during the previous administration were shot down by the courts for this reason, despite already heavily being in the crosshairs of the then-Republican government and a Conservative majority in the Supreme Court.

I will admit that the implications are disturbing but consider like, India already banned it and it hasn't really done anything terrible to its populace of 1 billion people.
Small correction on the TikTok is Chinese part. It's not. TikTok is not owned by China, they just have Chinese headquarters like other companies, like Apple.
The CEO is Singaporean and the company is owned by international investors and by their employees.
American data from TikTok is stored in America so even if China forced TikTok to give them American information, they wouldn't be able to do that.

But yeah, now that you mention it. If India is fine after banning TikTok, so will America. Still, I oppose it out of principles.

Small correction on the TikTok is Chinese part. It's not. TikTok is not owned by China, they just have Chinese headquarters like other companies, like Apple.
The CEO is Singaporean and the company is owned by international investors and by their employees.
American data from TikTok is stored in America so even if China forced TikTok to give them American information, they wouldn't be able to do that.
That's technically true but given how well we've treated the truth the past few years, literally no one will give a shit about that. The public sees it that way and it's already tainted as such. The fact that the government is choosing to ban it for these reasons means it's already assumed so.

Will we get affected negatively like how Tumblr users infected other websites after Tumblr started banning some content?

Will we get affected positively?
Well...given how toxic and crazy tiktok powerscaling community is...probably positive change,however tiktok community is big so i dont think it will make that big of a change,and if it does ppl from tiktok will move somewhere else i guess

TikTok ain’t shit if Twitter exists.
If Twitter doesn't exist, where else will I ***** out on the internet? Xd

Nah but TikTok affects powerscaling more than Twitter. Twitter doesn't have a powerscaling scene as intense as TikTok.

Back