• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Medaka Box "big" revision: Let's add quotes to people

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuasiYuri

They/Them
VS Battles
Retired
Too lazy to do a real revision, but still want an excuse to go through Medaka Box pages.

Anyway, a lot of characters lack a quote or have a bad/cut one (Shiranui, I'm looking at you), so I'm proposing some for 'em and let you guy choose which one you prefer (or if we just keep 'em all).
Would have liked to change the pictures as well but that's too much work.
Lezgo.

Zenkichi Hideyoshi​

For Hideyoshi, it's honestly kinda hard to choose since most of his big quotes depict his evolution so well. So let's go with one of these or all three.

"Hyuga, you are right. But Medaka-Chan is even more right. Everything Medaka does is right. Ever since I was two, I watched her justice. I'm the one who understands her best. She might go over the top with it, it might not make much sense, but I'm the one who knows how right she is. I might not understand what pleasure she gets out of helping people. However, if someone tries to go against Medaka's justice, I will not forgive them!"

"Medaka-Chan, No one can tell you the reason you were born for. I don't know what you were meant to live for! You need to find the answer yourself! Since you aren't the president anymore, start from there. Just observing won't be enough. Your vocations are decided by you. After you've lived through a multitude of valuable experiences! If you reach the same conclusion, that you want to make people happy and that you wish to fight for that, then I will root for you! However Medaka-chan, never say lonely things like "I was born to be of use to strangers". Everyone here doesn't think of you as a stranger anymore!"

"That's right, and I'm Hitoyoshi Zenkichi... A High Schooler who couldn't live alone for even a second and is cool as the devil himself.

Hansode Shiranui​

Hansode does already have a quote, which is "Love does not have to win." Which is in fact only the end of her quote and doesn't make much sense by itself. Anyway, the original quote is:

"Unlike justice, which otherwise must win, love does not have to win".

I also like her quote right before that one, which is:

"Even though you have lived for billions of years it seems like you don't understand, Anshin'in-san. All crushes will be fulfilled. If you think like that, then you're in for some disappointment. Unrequited love is all part of romance. If you're a girl then you will have known that since elementary school."

Munakata Kei​

For Kei, I think the quote's obvious:

’’’I am currently at work, thus I kill you. I have no time to waste on you, thus I kill you. I won’t try to stop you, thus I kill you. I dislike conflict, thus I kill you. I am disinterested in recruiting Kurokami-san, thus I kill you. The weather is lovely today, thus I kill you. Lunch was delicious, thus I kill you. I had a nice dream last night, thus I kill you. A movie I’ve been looking forward to comes out soon, thus I kill you. My cellphone’s battery is nearly dead, thus I kill you .I have no reason, thus I kill you. As all roads led to Rome I consider everything a reason to kill. I should mention that the director has plainly stated that I am not to kill you, thus I kill you’’’’.

Youka Naze​

Either take her motto:

"Wonderful things can only be born from Hell"

Or her comment on it:

""Wonderful things can only be born from Hell", that's my motto. But now that seems to need some reworking. Because this horrifying thing was born here just now!!"

Kuudou Hinokage​

Two quotes proposal: first one is Medaka talking about Hinokage

"I told you that you are like him, right? Shy, self-conscious, warped, liar, likes to pretend to be a bad guy and always tries to shoulder everything alone."

and one of his own:

"I don't need the strength of "Mister Unknown" or the speed of "Theme Song"! I never needed any of those things! Because from the start, I've never had any strength or speed! I only fought with my spirit alone"

Mukae Emukae​

I don't remember any really interesting quotes from her, so let's go with that one:

"Hitoyoshi-kun, no, Zenkichi-kun. I really like you. From the moment we first met, no, even before we've first met. Thank you for making me your treasurer. I wish for your happiness with Kurokami-san."

Shibuki Shibushi​

Here's stuff:

"I see. My existence is causing trouble to everybody. Everybody is becoming unfortunate because of me. Then I must do my best to become happy over others' misfortune."

Hanten Shiranui​

One of those two:

"Najimi was a not equal, so I simply imitated her. Even my "skill that makes skill" is nothing but a way to be Najimi's shadow."

"They all bear my instinct. In other words, the instant of "preserving unusual things".

Namamie Nienami​

Best girl has a single quote I like:

"I can't do that. I'm someone who manages to live one way or another. I don't have any principles, motives, hopes, dreams, ideology or precious things I want to protect. That's why professor Fukurou gave me such an unfair, overpowered style. I'm just a half-cooked, half-hearted girl. I accidentally took interest in saving you guys for now, but I may change my mind five seconds later. If professor Fukurou, who bore such strong, albeit distorded, feelings of love couldn't do it, then I surely can't win against Iihiko. No. I can't be allowed to win. Someone like me can't be allowed to save the world. It should be saved by someone strong-willed, like you."

Sui Kanaino​

"Hohoho it's hopeless, I already told you right? With the peaceful mindset of the main family you won't figure it out no matter how much you think. Rejoice! We will bring new blood into the peaceful Kurokami family and boil it until it's hot."

Kakegae Yuzuriha​

Honestly I can't find anything worth it. She's just that minor.

Iihiko Shishime​

One of those two:

"Kurokami Medaka... She was merely a modern girl after all."

"Don't mess with me, Hansode! Do you know how valuable I am! Scarce! Rare! Unseen! An unique existence that must be preserved! If you're a Shiranui you must understand that as well!! If you do something like this it won't end well for you either!! I AM SHISHIME IIHIKO!! THE ONLY ONE IN HISTORY! JUST ONE! THE LEGENDARY HERO WHO HAS LIVED FOR FIVE THOUSAND YEARS!!"

And voilà.

I didn’t even know we had profiles for medaka box, But God they’re heavily outdated. I’ll probably revise them in the future, and yea I agree.

I didn’t even know we had profiles for medaka box, But God they’re heavily outdated. I’ll probably revise them in the future, and yea I agree.
They are yeah. I want to revise them too, but calcs are a pain.

Also, what changes do you have planned btw? It's been awhile since I've read the manga, but I could prep myself to give thoughts on any future CRTs
Mainly aesthetics and statistics.

P&A isn't really bad, although it would need some reworking and additions here and there.

Would be easier if there was a group dedicated to revising the verse tho.

Are there enough people interested in the verse to create a revisions group or something like that. Started re-reading the manga and remembering how much I loved it so I’m probably gonna commit to those revisions I said I was gonna make.

I think this can be closed now lol. And I agree
Simple and straight forward enough
I'll comment on any CRTs if I have the time
Read the manga awhile ago but decently knowledgeable on it

Are there enough people interested in the verse to create a revisions group or something like that. Started re-reading the manga and remembering how much I loved it so I’m probably gonna commit to those revisions I said I was gonna make.
Beat you to it
DM

This seems like a very easy thing to do and would take about 5 minutes max.

The pretty terrible stat of the Medaka Box profiles is the fact that there's this weird idea that "Oh, it's a gag manga, so we can't scale it."

Or "Well, we don't know the other 12 trillion abilities Ajimu has, so we can't use her profile"

But that's just not true, there's a lot of profiles on the wiki that have technically incomplete profiles due to us not knowing the full extent of a persons abilities, and we just go with "Well, this is what they've shown, we go with that.", like hell, most Tier 0 profiles are that but way worse.

Also, the "veracity of these claims are unknown" is extremely weird, since it comes from an Omniscient source, the Narrator and Author, they're all explained in the Medaka Box Guide book, and that only copies what is said in the 100 abilities panels, which, if people bother to read them, actually explains what the abilities do.

In the end, there's nothing special about Medaka box besides people's decrepit notion that they're "Untierable" or "Beyond VS debating entirely", which just isn't true when we have objectively more complex and more vague beings on the wiki, more now than ever before.

The idea really should have died in 2016, not survive all this time.

Iirc Ajimu’s skills are seen as iffy due to the fact they contradict.

(also Admitedly curious what the other revision plans mentioned are.)

This seems like a very easy thing to do and would take about 5 minutes max.

The pretty terrible stat of the Medaka Box profiles is the fact that there's this weird idea that "Oh, it's a gag manga, so we can't scale it."

Or "Well, we don't know the other 12 trillion abilities Ajimu has, so we can't use her profile"

But that's just not true, there's a lot of profiles on the wiki that have technically incomplete profiles due to us not knowing the full extent of a persons abilities, and we just go with "Well, this is what they've shown, we go with that.", like hell, most Tier 0 profiles are that but way worse.

Also, the "veracity of these claims are unknown" is extremely weird, since it comes from an Omniscient source, the Narrator and Author, they're all explained in the Medaka Box Guide book, and that only copies what is said in the 100 abilities panels, which, if people bother to read them, actually explains what the abilities do.

In the end, there's nothing special about Medaka box besides people's decrepit notion that they're "Untierable" or "Beyond VS debating entirely", which just isn't true when we have objectively more complex and more vague beings on the wiki, more now than ever before.

The idea really should have died in 2016, not survive all this time.
Well, the problem is the sheer complexity and vagueness of its deconstructive metafictionality. It doesn't play by conventional storytelling rules at all.

However, that is not what we need help with here. Is somebody willing to handle it please?

@Udlmaster I'd prefer that Ajimu gets unbanned for the reasons you mentioned; Scion (Worm) has trillions upon trillions upon trillions of additional abilities which we know nothing about, which should dwarf Ajimu's ~13 quadrillion.

But I strongly disagree with using Ajimu's skills. A few of the skills, going by their descriptions (Death Mes, Beautiful Last Scene, Last Murder, and Deathst Moment) would have killed herself, the opponent, or the onlookers, yet that is not shown. Sword Looks' description (as a "sword purification skill") does not match up with what it's shown to do in the GLK novels, where it's used to create a sword. Unskilled's description (as a "don't use skills skill") is a bit iffy, but runs into major issues when it's shown later in the manga to prevent the user from activating any other skills for 4 minutes. Despite that, it's included in Ajimu's text wall, and she uses a skill immediately afterwards.

I maintain my prior position of, for the text walls, only using what's shown in the panels (competency with swords, guns, and martial arts, ability to cast spells, ability to transform into a beast, ability to summon chains, and ability to hurt enemies at a distance).

@Ant I'll go add some of the listed quotes of my choosing.

Last edited:
Okay. Thank you for helping out.

Tell us here when you are done and we should close this thread.

But I strongly disagree with using Ajimu's skills. A few of the skills, going by their descriptions (Death Mes, Beautiful Last Scene, Last Murder, and Deathst Moment) would have killed herself, the opponent, or the onlookers, yet that is not shown.
That's because in that list, there's abilities which counter-act those, for example, Zero Sum Real lets her just negate this problem entirely.

Her immortal powers, such as Undead Genius, Initialize History, Auto Fumble, Deaths Meeting, etc.

They just stop Ajimu from doing anything unintentional with their powers, even though they would ironically destroy her, such as Self-Destruction, Both Sides killing themselves, etc.

Unskilled's description (as a "don't use skills skill") is a bit iffy, but runs into major issues when it's shown later in the manga to prevent the user from activating any other skills for 4 minutes.
If you mean when its handed over to Kumagawa, its because the fusion of that ability with the weakened All-Fiction makes it so anything erased will be restored after a time interval.

That's simply due to a fusion of Abilities and Kumagawa's Minus nature, like how Hundred Gauntlets was warped into All-Fiction.

That's because in that list, there's abilities which counter-act those, for example, Zero Sum Real lets her just negate this problem entirely.

Her immortal powers, such as Undead Genius, Initialize History, Auto Fumble, Deaths Meeting, etc.

They just stop Ajimu from doing anything unintentional with their powers, even though they would ironically destroy her, such as Self-Destruction, Both Sides killing themselves, etc.

I guess if you assume that "power over life and death" and those other abilities are able to be used in such a way, and that their activation applies retroactively, or that the panels are presented in the wrong order. Feels like a stretch to me with how little information there is.

I also wouldn't count Auto Fumble in that, it doesn't seem like something unintentional, it seems like all that the ability is.

If you mean when its handed over to Kumagawa, its because the fusion of that ability with the weakened All-Fiction makes it so anything erased will be restored after a time interval.

That's simply due to a fusion of Abilities and Kumagawa's Minus nature, like how Hundred Gauntlets was warped into All-Fiction.

The fusion with All Fiction created "April Fiction", where the erased thing is only erased for 3 minutes. In explaining that, Zenkichi says that Unskilled itself nullifies and blocks all of the user's skills for a maximum of 3 minutes (and that Ajimu showed it to him during his training). Unskilled is pre-fusion, April Fiction is post-fusion, and we know what both of them do.

Yeah, Udl could always continue this in a new thread or on my wall.

Okay. Thank you to everybody who helped out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back