• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Prep Time and SBA

Jackythejack

They/Them
So, after a little bit of discussion with other users and talking about specific matches, I have a very important question. Where does prep time fall in the bounds of SBA? Specifically, the stating location. As most people know, the standard starting location would be Central Park in New York, but what effect does prep time have on this, if any? SBA would imply that you'd have to meet up in Central Park, would it not? However, things get a little tricky.

Particularly it gets confusing with Composite Human matches. I've seen a composite human match that gives him far too much prep time, which gives not only the advantage of gaining weapons, but also, apparently, being anywhere they seem to be best. One thread in particular, Saitama vs. Composite Human, went as far as to say that Composite Human just nukes Earth while sitting on the moon. This is...a little absurd, to be perfectly honest. In this case CH, or any character who could find themselves in this position, Does not have to meet the opponent, while the opponent is also forced to be at Central Park itself. This allows the character with prep time to simply win because of the fact that they can blow up Central Park and the opposing character cannot see, hear, reach, or know where they are.

So I know that seemed like a little rant but I do have to know, what exactly is the protocol here? By SBA, do the opponents have to meet in Central Park, regardless of prep time? Or does it need to be specifically stated in the OP of the match? I'm mainly asking because it causes a lot of confusion and it could lead to people going one way or the other. It's either make the two of them meet in Central Park like SBA states, or we allow them to go wherever they want and ignore that specific part of SBA. Ultimately I just want an answer to avoid confusion.

I think people being able to travel and set up ambushes and stuf with prep is fine. Don't think we have a standard rn.

SBA is in place for a fair match. Altering it can obviously give an advantage.

If you think CH just deciding to nuke the place instead of just walking in there is unfair, then all you need to do is write "4 km away from eachother".

The only thing I think is questionable here is people from the "real world" that have access to Central Park, and people from different worlds. The former should be able to move away, why the latter is just... spawned there.

I don't think the moon thing on the saitama thread was super serious, but ultimately, Prep Time is not SBA. Diversions from SBA are up to the OP of a thread.

You can also just not use earth as the location if you want.

Okay so the set standard should be

"If you want them to meet in Central Park, have them meet in Central Park?"

Okay and another question.

If it's the situation as detailed, where someone is literally like, a whole planet away and blows up the battlefield, doesn't that just count as a stomp?

Because the one opponent can't touch the other who has prep. They literally wouldn't have time to react before they're blown up.

Normally I always thought Prep time takes place in a place common that you would find character A doing in its own verse, rather than being in some random part of the same universe the match takes place, as the universe the matches take place in are verse-neutral, meaning that neither of the participants have familiarity with the place/universe itself beyond it (maybe) just being New York and so on.

Prep comes up a lot with composite human, who's "verse" would be irl. I've used rigging battlefield traps as a prep advantage before myself. It's a thing OP should elaborate on if they want to use

"IRL" would still be a separate universe from the one SBA takes place in, even if otherwise it would look exactly the same, which neither of the combatants know without something like precog and so on.

I mean, with the SBA there is no prep time so it's not really a problem when you are using it.

If you make a match with prep time, derivating from the SBA, you should probably just specify what you assume is allowed to happen in that prep time.

If you ask me for my favourite assuption, though: The way I imagine the fight scenario is always that the characters get teleported from their verses unto the battle stage the instant the match starts (getting equipped with their standard equip and given the mindset for the battle in the process).

So if you establish prep time I would go with them only being allowed to prep themselfs within their own verses, doing things like building equipment they can use or activating buffs.

I'm not a friend of battlefield prepping as standard assumption, because it quickly gets very complicated.

E.g. if one character decides to just fill the entire battlefield with poison gas, does the other character then die from that while walking around the area trying to prep the battlefield himself?

Can the other character neutralize the poison gas before the battle, making it into a creating vs neutralizing poison gas competition?

Can the character notice the poison gas and prep against it (without neutralizing it), which the opponent then preps against turning it into a constantly outprepping each other competition?

If they can not interfere in each others preperations, what happens if one wants to turn the floor into lava, while the other wants to create a lake?

Setting the rules for a general purpose prep time where the opponents both are allowed to modify the battlefield in advance is just pretty difficult.

Modifying the battlefield with prep tipe shouldn´t be allowed unless the match takes place in a place "native" to the character in the match that´s actually going to do that in prep time, at least in my part.

Back