• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some questions about DC

Guacamolefletcher

Username Only
Basically, the DC Comics Cosmology page says that DC Universes are finite and that the Infinite sized statements aren't literal https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/DC_Comics_Cosmology?so=search#Structure_of_a_Single_Universe

However, the DC Comics page still treats them being infinite as accepted https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/DC_Comics?so=search#Explanations

And more importantly, the thread made to downgrade the Universe's size, among other things, was literally rejected and closed https://vsbattles.com/threads/infinite-according-to-dc-comics.152039/post-5690162

Basically, the DC Comics Cosmology page says that DC Universes are finite and that the Infinite sized statements aren't literal https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/DC_Comics_Cosmology?so=search#Structure_of_a_Single_Universe

However, the DC Comics page still treats them being infinite as accepted https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/DC_Comics?so=search#Explanations

And more importantly, the thread made to downgrade the Universe's size, among other things, was literally rejected and closed https://vsbattles.com/threads/infinite-according-to-dc-comics.152039/post-5690162
It just hadn't been updated yet. The cosmology page takes precedence, so I've removed the infinite universes.

It just hadn't been updated yet. The cosmology page takes precedence, so I've removed the infinite universes.
I don't think that's the case. As the OP points out, the thread suggesting the Universe's size being downgraded was rejected, with Elizio even allowing for the thread to be closed due to majority disagreement. Rather than removing the current explanation, I think it should stay until the current DC Cosmology page updates the Universe to being Infinite, since at the moment it's based off of plans for something currently rejected.

Also wow it's been a long time since I've logged in

This thread was more to address the number of universes than their actual sizes that were accepted as finite. The thread was rejected however.
I'm having a hard time getting what you're trying to say here, so my apologies if I'm misunderstanding.

If you're saying the Universes were accepted as finite in another thread, could you link that to me? If not, that thread seems to be the only thread covering finite sized Universes, where there was overwhelming agreement that the Universes both had infinite size and that there were an infinite amount, so in order to justify downgrading the Universe's size, it seems there'd have to be another thread focused on that, and until then, the explanation for the Universes being infinite in size should remain imo.

If not, that thread seems to be the only thread covering finite sized Universes, where there was overwhelming agreement that the Universes both had infinite size and that there were an infinite amount
That thread was addressing a number of subjects other than the size of universes. The only staff input was on the number (which has switched between finite and infinite in canon events. Pre-Crisis it was infinite, then 52, then infinite again after Death Metal).

The finite sized universe was accepted as part of the large-scale cosmology revisions.

That thread was addressing a number of subjects other than the size of universes. The only staff input was on the number (which has switched between finite and infinite in canon events. Pre-Crisis it was infinite, then 52, then infinite again after Death Metal).
I'm aware it covered multiple things, but the size of the Universe was also a relevant part of the thread. The staff members on the thread (Emirp, KLOL, and Lephyr) also were agreeing to Lastmlg and Gilver's reasons, which included addressing the size of the individual Universe.
The finite sized universe was accepted as part of the large-scale cosmology revisions.
I checked those threads and didn't see any discussion on that, so could you please link me to the relevant part of it? I recall the blog itself switching from saying Universes were infinite to later saying they were finite, so unless it actually was discussed, it seems that might've slipped under the radar. Again though if I'm wrong and you do have the link where the downgrade was accepted, I'd appreciate it.

I'm aware it covered multiple things, but the size of the Universe was also a relevant part of the thread. The staff members on the thread (Emirp, KLOL, and Lephyr) also were agreeing to Lastmlg and Gilver's reasons, which included addressing the size of the individual Universe.
Sure, but this wasn't a content revision about the size of a universe, and that aspect couldn't be a revision because our blog already stated that.

I recall the blog itself switching from saying Universes were infinite to later saying they were finite, so unless it actually was discussed
It didn't switch. This is from the original proposal on the first thread:

Sure, but this wasn't a content revision about the size of a universe, and that aspect couldn't be a revision because our blog already stated that.
Not only the size of the Universe, sure, but it did include the topic of how infinity works in relation to describing the size of an infinite Universe, even using that as a direct example. This also shows why it's important if the cosmology thread already went over that, since, if it was not, then this thread would've been the sole thread actually going over the Universes' sizes.
It didn't switch. This is from the original proposal on the first thread:

It definitely did to an extent, considering the original blog states that at times, the Universe can be considered Infinitely large/High 3-A:
Universal feats are between 3-A and High 3-A
While the current version removed that and added a note that the scans are referring to the Universe being immeasurably large:
  • It should be noted that the statements of an infinite-sized universe are, as quoted above, contradicted by the mere fact that it has an edge and probability means that a single universe in DC Comics is immeasurably large rather than being truly infinite as suggested in the three scans above.
I gotta go for now though, so if something now gets brought up, I won't be able to see it for a few hours.

Not only the size of the Universe, sure, but it did include the topic of how infinity works in relation to describing the size of an infinite Universe, even using that as a direct example. This also shows why it's important if the cosmology thread already went over that, since, if it was not, then this thread would've been the sole thread actually going over the Universes' sizes.
It doesn't really matter, it's not substantive enough to matter as that thread was not focused on the size of a universe, and won't override the cosmology blog.

It definitely did to an extent, considering the original blog states that at times, the Universe can be considered Infinitely large/High 3-A:
While the current version removed that and added a note that the scans are referring to the Universe being immeasurably large:
Given that Caveat #2 very concretely establishes it as finite, this was likely just an oversight.

If you're aiming at changing the blog, a new CRT focused specifically on the size of universes in DC would need to be made.

Okay. Thank you for the reply. 🙏

Should we close this thread then?

It doesn't really matter, it's not substantive enough to matter as that thread was not focused on the size of a universe, and won't override the cosmology blog.
I'm not gonna lie, it seems somewhat backwards to say a thread where it was mentioned as a key point is overrided by a thread that didn't seem to cover it.

I suppose my question is this:
If a blog makes a point, and it doesn't get either rejected or accepted, would it go through despite not being discussed? If the answer is yes, fair enough, but if not, I think the other thread takes precedence.
Given that Caveat #2 very concretely establishes it as finite, this was likely just an oversight.
Frankly, I just thought it meant that the Universe would be seen as finite or infinite depending on context, similar to how we treat Marvel's Universes, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's how others saw it.

In the case that the rules go by what you suggest, I may make a Universe revision thread in the future if time allows me, though I'm not sure at what point it'd be. Thanks for allowing the thread to stay open so I could ask my last question btw.

I'm not gonna lie, it seems somewhat backwards to say a thread where it was mentioned as a key point is overrided by a thread that didn't seem to cover it.
If were going to make such a serious revision to the cosmology it should be done in a thread that properly covers the evidence for both sides and with far more staff input, and ideally with the staff involved actually mentioning the size of the universe.

If a blog makes a point, and it doesn't get either rejected or accepted, would it go through despite not being discussed? If the answer is yes, fair enough, but if not, I think the other thread takes precedence.
Afaik, it needs to be thoroughly accepted in order for it to be applied. But like Deagonyx said, fair enough to just make a new proper CRT that covers the full thing.

Back