• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SxF Christmas Speed Upgrade

How long has it been since a SxF CRT? I honestly can’t remember but this should be a relatively simple one

New Calculation

Old Calculation

This would put Fiona at Hypersonic+, and thus characters that scales above her like Best Mom (Yor) and Best Dad (Loid) will be the same rating.

Additionally, we get AP result from the calculation that supports the current 9-B SxF tier

P.S. Did you know that if you plug in a calculation without linking it, you get a service error? Me neither

EDIT: Can’t believe I forgot to give credit to KingTempest for doing the calculation

Last edited:
How long has it been since a SxF CRT? I honestly can’t remember but this should be a relatively simple one
Since yesterday.
New Calculation

Old Calculation

This would put Fiona at Hypersonic+, and thus characters that scales above her like Best Mom (Yor) and Best Dad (Loid) will be the same rating.

Additionally, we get AP result from the calculation that supports the current 9-B SxF tier
Good, now Yor physicals would also scale to Hypersonic+, though now that I look her projectiles are listed as Hypersonic but don't the calc mention 12636.74m/s or 8416.74m/s (don't know if is supposed to be used the speed at normal gravity or the average speed when accounting the gravity drop) which would be High Hypersonic or Hypersonic+? Because in either case that should be corrected.

We can visibly see the ball not dropping at all aside from the statement. I don't even think that's necessary

Good, now Yor physicals would also scale to Hypersonic+, though now that I look her projectiles are listed as Hypersonic but don't the calc mention 12636.74m/s or 8416.74m/s (don't know if is supposed to be used the speed at normal gravity or the average speed when accounting the gravity drop) which would be High Hypersonic or Hypersonic+? Because in either case that should be corrected.
Indeed, that ought to be fixed. The 8416.74m/s seemed like the one that should be used.

Merry Christmas.

As much as I appreciate upgrades to SxF, I'm gonna have to say no.
And by no, I mean heck no.

The calculation simply oversimplify the situation by assuming that gravity is the only force acting on the tennis ball. This isn’t the case.
When the ball is hit with a racket at supersonic speeds, it’s propelled with a significant amount of momentum.

This momentum, in the initial stages, is strong enough to counteract the force of gravity, which is why the ball doesn’t immediately drop downwards.

This is similar to what happens when a bullet is fired from a gun.

The bullet doesn’t instantly drop to the ground because its forward momentum is much greater than the force of gravity acting upon it. It will eventually fall, but not until its momentum has been significantly reduced, which takes some time.

The effect of gravity isn’t proportional to the initial speed of the object. Rather, gravity acts continuously on the object, causing it to follow a curved path. BUUUT, at high speeds, the curvature of this path is less noticeable over short distances, it's actually non-existent for a good while at the speed we're dealing with, and given how short of a distance this was, which is why the ball (or bullet) travels in a straight line for a (very short) while.

This is basically just Newton’s First Law of Motion, you don’t see the effect of gravity right away on the ball’s movement, because it takes some time for it to pull the ball down. If the tennis ball is going really fast, like faster than the speed of sound, then it will take even longer for gravity to make a difference.

Merry Christmas.

As much as I appreciate upgrades to SxF, I'm gonna have to say no.
And by no, I mean heck no.

The calculation simply oversimplify the situation by assuming that gravity is the only force acting on the tennis ball. This isn’t the case.
When the ball is hit with a racket at supersonic speeds, it’s propelled with a significant amount of momentum.

This momentum, in the initial stages, is strong enough to counteract the force of gravity, which is why the ball doesn’t immediately drop downwards.

This is similar to what happens when a bullet is fired from a gun.

The bullet doesn’t instantly drop to the ground because its forward momentum is much greater than the force of gravity acting upon it. It will eventually fall, but not until its momentum has been significantly reduced, which takes some time.

The effect of gravity isn’t proportional to the initial speed of the object. Rather, gravity acts continuously on the object, causing it to follow a curved path. BUUUT, at high speeds, the curvature of this path is less noticeable over short distances, it's actually non-existent for a good while at the speed we're dealing with, and given how short of a distance this was, which is why the ball (or bullet) travels in a straight line for a (very short) while.

This is basically just Newton’s First Law of Motion, you don’t see the effect of gravity right away on the ball’s movement, because it takes some time for it to pull the ball down. If the tennis ball is going really fast, like faster than the speed of sound, then it will take even longer for gravity to make a difference.
^
People forgot what inertia meant!

Why do you think PLANES never drop down even when they're perfectly straight? It's their inertia, their speed.

This calculation doesn't work.

Back