• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Travel Speed Rewording

Status
Not open for further replies.

Testarossa002

Username Only
Hi Everyone
I got permission from Ant to make this (I think)
I was engaging in a convo offsite and someone brought my attention to the travel speed section
I think the section could do with a bit of rewording

Travel Speed​

The speed at which a character or object can move by running, or through similar means that do not involve flight or teleportation.
The highlighted part especially
As we have characters run let's say 20m while in combat but they're not given as travel speed
I think an official distance could be added at the very least, in order to get "running" as travel speed
What are your thoughts?

People could run entire kilometers in less than a second and then tire out immediately, or others can move short distances in FTL perception for hours on end in combat without tiring out. The opposite could also be true, but then it just becomes a stamina game. Context is key. Not all running speed feats are the same.

People could run entire kilometers in less than a second and then tire out immediately, or others can move short distances in FTL perception for hours on end in combat without tiring out. The opposite could also be true, but then it just becomes a stamina game. Context is key. Not all running speed feats are the same.
That's the point
As it is now, the page doesn't say it's a case by case stuff
It simply says running
Maybe an additional note would suffice

That's the point
As it is now, the page doesn't say it's a case by case stuff
It simply says running
Maybe an additional note would suffice
As long as no arbitrary distance value is placed and context is placed as the main thing of importance, I agree. Distance alone isn't the end-all, be-all of speed feats. Endurance and technique also matter.

As long as no arbitrary distance value is placed and context is placed as the main thing of importance, I agree. Distance alone isn't the end-all, be-all of speed feats. Endurance and technique also matter.
Yes
The current wording may be misleading
Especially to visitors

Yeah
He did agree with adding some sort of further explanation
That running for travel speed is on a case by case basis
And not an automatic justification
No, you misunderstood me.

What I meant was, the amount of distance travelled alone on its own should not determine whether a speed feat scales to normal travel/running speed or not.

As for whether running on its own is travel speed, aye. It is. Even in short bursts we should not try to lump it all as combat speed, all of them in short bursts should have distinctions.

I think it's more or less a question of how we determine whether a speed feat scales to overall speed (Overall speed by default normally scales to travel speed), or whether it scales to combat speed and reactions only. Which again, is case-by-case.

Last edited:
So should we make any kind of rewording of our policy instructions based on this thread, or is it better to close it now?

My conclusions remain the same.

Setting an arbitrary distance value to categorize travel speed is just baseless to begin with. Categorize speed feats on a case-by-case basis.

I would argue that distance is the best metric to determine travel speed. If we have a character covering a certain amount of distance at some point, we'd have to consider that travel speed because as said above, in burst or not doesn't really matter. While I agree that it is arbitrary to decide on what distance has to be traveled in order to qualify for travel speed, it would ultimately be around the same level of arbitrary that our distinctions of tiers or separations in speed already are.

My conclusions remain the same.

Setting an arbitrary distance value to categorize travel speed is just baseless to begin with. Categorize speed feats on a case-by-case basis.
I am personally inclined to agree with this.

I would argue that distance is the best metric to determine travel speed.
I personally disagree based on the reasonings I have given above.

If we have a character covering a certain amount of distance at some point, we'd have to consider that travel speed because as said above, in burst or not doesn't really matter.
It honestly depends massively on context.

While I agree that it is arbitrary to decide on what distance has to be traveled in order to qualify for travel speed, it would ultimately be around the same level of arbitrary that our distinctions of tiers or separations in speed already are.
Our distinctions in speed tiers aren't arbitrary tho? Speed is one of those tiers that is actually based on already-established IRL parameters.

This thread seems to have been rejected long ago. We should probably close it. And please stop spamming us with unnecessary bumbs, IL. It takes considerable time to deal with. You need to show some discretion.

This thread seems to have been rejected long ago. We should probably close it. And please stop spamming us with unnecessary bumbs, IL. It takes considerable time to deal with. You need to show some discretion.
Okay, sorry. Close this, then.

No problem. Your bumping has been helpful elsewhere. It is the indiscriminate bumping at a too quick pace to keep up with that is problematic. 🙏

I will close this thread then. Thank you to everybody who helped out here. 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back