• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Universe level the II.

So while I was writing an article to document the current regulations regarding in which case a feat is universe level and in which case not I thought some more about the topic and had a change of mind, I guess.

To summarize the current stand of things: A Character is universe level exactly then, if it destroyed the universe or observable universe, there is a reliable statement that it is capable of doing so or it itself or its abilities have properties that intuitively imply they are capable of doing so. Examples of the latter include things like being larger than the (observable) universe or being able to create something the size of the (observable) universe. Since calculating an even just approximately correct value for the destruction of the observable universe is not really possible for us (as explained in thread I), a precise border for the energy level to reach universe level is omitted and calculated energy values far above the requirements for Multi-Galaxy level are listed as "at least Multi-Galaxy level".

So the reason for my change of mind basically is the question "which harm does an too low value for the low end of universe level do?".

Essentially we could also have created our energy scale with arbitary borders, for example one level always 100x as powerful as the prior. The only reason our scale has names such as "Building level", "Moon level" or "Multi-Galaxy level" is because this levels have the purpose to enable people, that can not calc, to create profiles with accurate statistics on their own. In other words as long as destroying x falls into x level, the level fullfills its purpose.

So as long as destruction of the universe falls into universe level, everything is fine. And that would also be the case far the low end.

Of course it is true that for a too low value some high end Multi-Galaxy level feats (things equal to destroying a few trillion galaxies) might be calculated to fall into Universe level then, even though they technically shouldn't. Those are basically feats that can only be reached through calculation though, so the intuitive ranking of Multi-Galaxy level souldn't be influenced. Neither would it discredit universe level to much, since any feat equal to destroying the observable universe would most likely be far below what the usual feat for destroying the universe is eitehr way, or in other words universe level is a vast category in the first place.

Lastly the great advantage is that the regulation regarding it becomes absolutely easy to understand for all users and has a way easier reasoning behind it. Additionally we would not have an uncertain border, which is nice.

So summa summarum I would suggest using the high end of this calc as low end border of universe level, like some people suggested before.

Opinions?

(sorry about going a bit back and forth with my opinion regarding this btw.)

I suppose that this seems to make sense, although we might have to insert a clarifying explanation into the Attack Potency page.

Also, we would have to modify the statistics of Pre-Crisis Superman, and all the characters scaled from him, to 3-A.

I already have the profiles edited, it'll take no time to perform the changes. Just pressing publish.

@Cal There's also Karate Kid, but other than that I believe that's all

Now it's just a manner of if this is going to be accepted and if Ant gives approval to adjust the profiles.

Yes. Feel free to edit them, but make sure to modify the striking strength and durability sections as well.

Btw: Karate Kid would also be affected.

I have adjusted all the profiles except Comet and Streaky which Cal got.

This proposal sounds reasonable.

Now, should the Attack Potency chart be updated since the current one states that Multi-Galaxy AP has a high end of Undefined rating?

Probably, yes. I will update the Attack Potency page.

I have now updated the chart. Feel free to correct if I made any errors.

In addition, should we add "Universe level" to the chart, possibly with "Any finite number" as an upper border?

Perhaps just a note saying that:

Since we do not know the actual amount of energy to truly destroy the universe due to the universe's actual size being unknown, the energy required to destroy the observable universe was calculated instead. This value is the bare minimum value required to truly destroy the observable universe.
in the Attack Potency chart would be viable?

We do not have room for that text within the chart, but I suppose that it might be placed right afterwards.

Antvasima said:
In addition, should we add "Universe level" to the chart, possibly with "Any finite number" as an upper border?
I think we should. Though I have to point out that "Any finite number" as upper limit means that, for example, also 2 is the upper border given that 2 is a finite number (Just to be strict with the definitions).

If the borders are handled for AP like described for speed in Note 1 on the Speed page we could technically just use infinite as the upper border (as infinite isn't part of the level then, since it is the upper border).

Well, "any higher finite number" then. Countably infinite numbers go under High 3-A.

Back