• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unpopular Opinions and (Friendly) Rant thread

That's just true

Sonic's world and characters actually feel properly developed, rather than just being a bunch of mascots in a mascot land with no proper characters. The spinoffs are your only option for actual character development, and even then, Sonic usually does it better. Luigi's a pretty strong exception to this, though.

Like, see this quote that's my signature? Yeah, let me know when Mario gets anywhere close to that. Thanks.
Also, a weird fact about Sonic's origins:

Honestly, during the years it was hated, all I heard were people bashing its style direction and more light hearted pace. Probably cause it was hot off the heels of XYZ.
Mfs are too obsessed with shows being serious, dark, and deep with a bunch of lore dumping and generic main characters/villains, with a side of traumatized teenagers to go.

Give me some light-hearted, goofy fun that will entertain me to the very end.

Yeah thats one thing that was odd, to say the least. Why was the show so dead set on that relationship?
I always figured they were trying to pander to shippers, which are incredibly passionate in the Pokemon fandom.

I mean, Sun and Moon could also get pretty dark and dramatic... the source of Lillie's trauma, the Stoutland's death, everything about Mallow's mom. That's why I said it was pretty wild. Between the humor, the heartwarming relationships and dramatic moments, Sun and Moon felt pretty alive.

Continuing the Pokemon anime hot takes...

May was definitely my least favorite main Pokegirl. She's boring asf. At least with Serena I was interested in seeing what direction would they take with the whole Ash relationship.

Mfs are too obsessed with shows being serious, dark, and deep with a bunch of lore dumping and generic main characters/villains, with a side of traumatized teenagers to go.

Give me some light-hearted, goofy fun that will entertain me to the very end.
That was one of the problems I had with XYZ, there's not really much funny moments like it was in the other series. And Ash was way too mature than his usual fun personality

That's just true

Sonic's world and characters actually feel properly developed, rather than just being a bunch of mascots in a mascot land with no proper characters. The spinoffs are your only option for actual character development, and even then, Sonic usually does it better. Luigi's a pretty strong exception to this, though.

Like, see this quote that's my signature? Yeah, let me know when Mario gets anywhere close to that. Thanks.
As an avid fan of Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi series? This is something I hate about Nintendo: Their unwillingness to let their franchises have layers and complexity to them while not succumbing to edge. Like you ever notice a pattern where some of the most beloved Mario games are ones that tend to have great stories like them like Super Mario RPG, Super Mario Galaxy 1, Paper Mario 64 through Super Paper Mario, the Mario & Luigi series, and to a certain extent the Luigi's Mansion series? These are all games that, though already fantastic in terms of gameplay, have genuinely amazing stories that are bursting to the seams with interesting characters, intimidating villains, memorable environments that aren't shallow asf like the New Super Mario Bros games, and it ACTUALLY allows characters like Mario and Peach to be characters and develop their personalities.

If I might simp for a bit, Super Paper Mario is hands down one of my all time favorite games and I'd argue that it's the darkest game in the Mario series. Not only does it have shockingly dark instances like slavery, parasitic takeovers, and the ******* afterlife itself, but the entire plot of the game is to prevent the literal erasure of the entire multiverse and the countless lives inside it from the hands of a tragic villain that grew to hate life and wishes to bring forth the end to rid himself of the pain even at the expense of creation ceasing to exist. But in the amidst of this hour of despair and oblivion is a tale with themes like hope, the love we feel for ourselves and our loved ones, and all these other aspects which you rarely see in a Mario game these days.

And tbh I mainly blame this shit on people like Shigeru Miyamoto because, although they are undeniable geniuses that have directly impacted the gaming industry and what's in it, they seem to think that it's still the 1980's and that people don't care about stories in platformers. It's why Sticker Star was as bad as it was story wise, because the developers were tasked by Miyamoto to make a Paper Mario game without a deep story to it. So overall, it's just frustrating that Mario isn't able to live up to its full potential as a fully fleshed out series and I hope the TTYD remake coming out is successful enough to get Nintendo to try Mario games like that again.

Exactly! Spin-offs like Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, etc. actually take their writing seriously rather than not even bothering. That’s something Sonic usually does even with its mainline entries, and the world and characters feel so much more alive because of it.

And tbh I mainly blame this shit on people like Shigeru Miyamoto because, although they are undeniable geniuses that have directly impacted the gaming industry and what's in it, they seem to think that it's still the 1980's and that people don't care about stories in platformers. It's why Sticker Star was as bad as it was story wise, because the developers were tasked by Miyamoto to make a Paper Mario game without a deep story to it. So overall, it's just frustrating that Mario isn't able to live up to its full potential as a fully fleshed out series and I hope the TTYD remake coming out is successful enough to get Nintendo to try Mario games like that again.
I disagree with the first notion, platformers don't necessarily need interesting narratives or whatever. Mario Wonder is a gem and it got there through its gameplay. Though yes, can't really defend that when it comes to RPG's where the story is kind of a big deal, lol.

Here's hoping the TTYD remake makes an impact, the fact that it even exists is a good sign since they are aware to some extent.

Same here, I wouldn't say a game is better because it has a better story per se, given videogames are a full package it's more complicated than that. I mean look at the Genesis Sonic games, they were simply "Play as hedgehog with attitude to save your animal friends from evil scientist" and those games are classics. Not to mention a more grandiose story isn't necessary better, it can be swing and miss like what happened with Sonic 06, which goes for an incredibly epic narrative (though to be fair, blame the troubled production on this one).

Mario intentionally forgoes complex plots to let the gameplay shine and it works wonders for the most part. Even spinoffs are pretty straighforward with their plots.

Here's my issue though: Games like Super Mario Galaxy 1 demonstrate that you can have a fantastic platformer while still having a good story to it. But I think what makes it more egregious to me, at least for Mario standards, is that Mario and his cast of friends and enemies have practically remained the SAME in terms of personality for decades! I'm not saying that a Mario game requires a great story, but at the very least offer a story where Mario can be an actual entity and where the world around him shines, it's one of the reasons why games like The Thousand Year Door are so beloved.

All I'm asking for is that Nintendo allows its developers to put time into making a decent story. It doesn't need to be deep by any stretch of the imagination, but don't let it be this one big afterthought either

Last edited:
Agree
Hell, a lot of good stories irl have characters that are "optimized" in some way, simply because in a series with superpowers or action, the question of "who's the strongest" is probably gonna come up in some capacity.
:)
I do need to read Berserk properly, but from what I've heard the excessive grimness of it is mainly necessary so that the moral of continuing to struggle no matter how bad things get is more poignant. I don't think the author includes ultraviolence and grimdark themes to try to be edgy (except in the first few parts, which presumably just happened before he decided what he actually wanted the series to be), but to really emphasize that theme of no matter HOW bad things get.
If you're gonna convey a powerful message of continuing in horrific adversity, the adversity in question is gonna need to be pretty horrific.
I wasn't accusing the authors of being exessively edgy, I was pointing out how readers may be likely to see the more "explicitly grim" scenes and falsely associate them with a more mature/deep/rEaLiStIc story based on that alone.
Agree. As I have pondered deeply and had a lot of character development around the concept of skill in general and why I like it so much, I've come to the same conclusions.
As a caveat on the second point, I think what level of skill should be considered "too bullshit" relies heavily on the verse in question.
If Juuzou Shishimi showed up and started cutting concepts and black holes apart in, say, The Incredibles, that would suck, because even the outright superpowers in that verse don't get that intense. But he's fine in his own series, because it's a series full of bullshit hax in general, and he just happens to be 'the skill guy' for it. Super-skills work best as a foil to super-powers.
Maybe I didn't express it properly but I basically meant what you said:
if these powers are achieved via skill in-verse the character can be regarded as "better" than another one who can't do it in-verse (though this type of scaling can be problematic sometimes) but that's the only thing they're good for in a "skill debate" and they can't be used as feats.
I agree, and I would love this change to happen. But in my years of arguing for it (admittedly with some pretty terrible arguments), I have come to the conclusion it's a lost cause, like many unfortunate aspects of the wiki (supergenius intelligence).
That sucks, there's so much potential being denied for (close to) no reason.
What's wrong with supergenius? I find the use of knowledge instead of actual intelligence for the 2 ratings above to be more offensive
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh
I really really see where you're coming from.
But I would like to add just a slight qualifier that I think it's fine if there's a reasonable assumption for them being some kind of "super-guns" that work on that level.
Like in Tenkaichi, where guns are clearly just blatantly stronger than in real life, because that series is a bunch of exaggerated historical stuff.
Historical skillchads and muscle monsters become weebshit skilled and superhuman demigods, therefore guns have also been strengthened to retain the sense of menace they had in that era.
I...should have clarified:
Yes, "it's not gun, it's magic/super-gun" is exactly all it would take, and yet near-enough no one does it, even D&D which would have the easiest fix ever with "it's gun....+1" deliberatly refuses to do so...
It's usually just a minor annoyance but damn is it annoying to hear "me shoot dragon, me kill, 1 hit 'cause gun haha"

This game is peak fiction. I would make a profile if I wasn’t lazy.
Would there need to be some profile splits though? Vector Classic went cleanly into Vector 2, but the sequel has been delisted for quite a while now. Not only that, but with the new Vector Remastered, it seems to be hinting at going through its own path.

Back