• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Where does this feat scale?

So in Arcane Odyssey, Iris can affect the climate of an Island by using her fire abilities, making the island noticeably hotter than before. Where would this scale?

Climate changing can be calc’d although iirc it’s a bit tough to do, some may exist thkugh but iirc I think it accounts for melting stuff, and water content in clouds.

So in Arcane Odyssey, Iris can affect the climate of an Island by using her fire abilities, making the island noticeably hotter than before. Where would this scale?
If talking AP, gonna need to know a few things.

1: The area of the island.
2: The increase in temperature. "Noticably hotter" doesn't tell all that much, especially when the base temperature is needed to find the increase in temperature; ∆T, which can vary a lot depending on if the island is in a tropical, temperate, or arctic region.

Last edited:

2: The increase in temperature. "Noticably hotter" doesn't tell all that much, especially when the base temperature is needed to find the increase in temperature; ∆T
Okay so the island is basically a giant iceberg and the increase in temperature is causing it to melt, so I'm guessing the starting temperature would be somewhere below 0 degrees (Let's take -20°C, as that's the interior temperature of an iceberg) and the end temperature would be somewhere above 0°C (So I guess we'll say 20°C)

As for the area of the island, yeah that's gonna take some pixel scaling

If you link the feat I could try scale it.
It's not a feat as much as it is a statement. The locals of the island say it's a curse that's causing the island to melt but we later find out it's the work of Iris, but we never actually get to see her actively melting the island.

It's not a feat as much as it is a statement. The locals of the island say it's a curse that's causing the island to melt but we later find out it's the work of Iris, but we never actually get to see her actively melting the island.
I miiight be able to pixel scale this using an image of a player on Mount Othrys to get a scale I can use on the actual map to find out its dimensions, be back in a few

Okay, this is a bit scuffed as I only have my phone ATM for pixel scaling.

Can't give details to how I arrived at this rn, but I estimated Frostmill to have an area of around 204,709.733 m².

I can probably do a better calc when I get home and have access to my computer, but that's a rough estimate for far

2: The increase in temperature. "Noticably hotter" doesn't tell all that much, especially when the base temperature is needed to find the increase in temperature; ∆T, which can vary a lot depending on if the island is in a tropical, temperate, or arctic region.
Would you mind lending me the formula for calculating the AP of this feat btw?

Would you mind lending me the formula for calculating the AP of this feat btw?
Sure:
Mass of air affected * Specific heat of air * ∆T = Energy

Mass of air affected:
Volume of air affected * Density of air

Specific heat of air:
~1,003.5 J/°C (does vary a bit, but would be negligible here)

∆T (Change in Temperature):
20°C

Density of air:
1.225 kg/m³

Normally for "affecting the climate", I use 609.6m for height of air, though it can be different in some cases.

So:
Volume of air:
204,709.733 x 609.6 = 1,247,910,532.368 m³

Mass of air:
1,247,910,532.368 x 1.225 = 1,528,690,402.1508 kg

So, the formula would be:
1,528,690,402.1508 x 1,003.5 x 20 = 30,680,816,371,166.556 Joules

Or around 7.33 Kilotons of TNT (7-C; Town level)

Sure:
Mass of air affected * Specific heat of air * ∆T = Energy

Mass of air affected:
Volume of air affected * Density of air

Specific heat of air:
~1,003.5 J/°C (does vary a bit, but would be negligible here)

∆T (Change in Temperature):
20°C

Density of air:
1.225 kg/m³

Normally for "affecting the climate", I use 609.6m for height of air, though it can be different in some cases.

So:
Volume of air:
204,709.733 x 609.6 = 1,247,910,532.368 m³

Mass of air:
1,247,910,532.368 x 1.225 = 1,528,690,402.1508 kg

So, the formula would be:
1,528,690,402.1508 x 1,003.5 x 20 = 30,680,816,371,166.556 Joules

Or around 7.33 Kilotons of TNT (7-C; Town level)
Ah, thanks, I'll put "Possibly 7-C" on the sandbox page for her profile since it's possible she melted it overtime using many consecutive fire attacks and not a single one, thanks a lot for the help

That is not going to work at all. The OP hasn't specified to what degree the island has been heated nor the size of the island.

Also, the altitude of the troposphere is 12000 m so that should be used instead.

That is not going to work at all. The OP hasn't specified to what degree the island has been heated nor the size of the island.
I guess that's fair, you could probably find the size of the island through pixel scaling but you can't really find what degree the island has been heated since it's never stated anywhere

I guess that's fair, you could probably find the size of the island through pixel scaling but you can't really find what degree the island has been heated since it's never stated anywhere
The temperature can be determined by the reactions of the inhabitants, the saturation and hue of the environment, etc.

The temperature can be determined by the reactions of the inhabitants, the saturation and hue of the environment, etc.
We never get to see the island before Iris started melting it, and the most that's mentioned is the island is hotter than usual or melting faster than usual, that's about it.

Back