• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

1-A JTTW & Abilities CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG-20220829-164727.jpg

Didn't Sun Wukong lift up the Buddha realm?
Its top touches the firmament
Its root jojns the Sumeru range
顶摩霄汉中,根接须弥脉
Sun Wukong lifted Xumi mountain. Is he only 2-C

IMG-20220829-164727.jpg

Didn't Sun Wukong lift up the Buddha realm?
Its top touches the firmament
Its root jojns the Sumeru range
顶摩霄汉中,根接须弥脉
Sun Wukong lifted Xumi mountain. Is he only 2-C
He lifted Sumeru Mountain, not the Sumeru Range. Sumeru Range are the mountains around Sumeru but they are seperate.

Well, we are not allowed to use MTL/Fan translations over official ones unless for a good reason. Unless you can find a translation stating Sumeru "Mountain" and not Sumeru "Range" we can't make any changes.

I'm neutral on the 1-A stuff.

I agree with Sun Wukong's possible Tier addition via SIze Manipulation, and the Statistics Amplification seems fine. Though the infinite lifting strength and speed due to the staff thing is weird. It said it grew to 10 thousand feat in the scan.
He grew to ten thousand feet, his staff grew to pierce the realms of heaven and hell.

If it was talking about this concept, it would say this world exists within itself or something along those lines not that there are literally more worlds than this one.
But it does say exactly that. For instance, the translation you use says "A grain of sand the chilliocosm holds," and also "One's mind or body is like ten thousand things" (Ten thousand things, as said before, being a Chinese term for "All of existence," so this statement appears to be pretty much saying that the macrocosm finds a degree of self-similarity within local things). Even the statement about a grain of dust holding "three thousand worlds" seems to be a reference to this as well, since that's also terminology carrying similar connotation.

And then you have the translation I've shown above, which translates the "mind and body" statement as "In a single body and mind, all dharmas (phenomena) are the same." (Ontop of what I've mentioned before: That all of this is being talked about in the context of how all things are sunya/empty, and that to comprehend this principle, the state of no-mind must be attained)

So, yes, I think it's pretty obviously just talking about that, and my point isn't exactly reliant on outside sources about Buddhist doctrine, either. I just used that as precedent, mostly, since as said before you can't exactly sever a story from the historical context in which it was written without butchering the intent and message that the author wanted to convey. But, yes, even if you pick this (Very strange) route, what I said still seems to hold, looking at all of the evidence as one whole.

Last edited:
But it does say exactly that. For instance, the translation you use says "A grand of sand the chilliocosm holds," and also "One's mind or body is like ten thousand things" (Ten thousand things, as said before, being a Chinese term for "All of existence," so this statement appears to be pretty much saying that the macrocosm finds a degree of self-similarity within local things). Even the statement about a grain of dust holding "three thousand worlds" seems to be a reference to this as well, since that's also terminology carrying similar connotation.
Like I explained to Darksmash I understand what it is trying to say when it states one's mind or body is like ten thousand things. It's already addressed in the Cosmology Blog that all of existence is fundamentally in a singularity when viewed by its True Nature.

However that three thousand worlds statement is most certainly not referring to the concept of "Three Thousand Realms in a Single Moment of Life". This refers to the potential that exists in one's life. It covers the idea that one's sense of value, purpose, and definition of happiness can affect how you see things. In this case, the infinite possibility is in a single moment of one's life.

This statement cannot be mistaken for the novel directly stating that one's eyes can view three thousand worlds inside a speck of dust.
And then you have the translation I've shown above, which translates the "mind and body" statement as "In a single body and mind, all dharmas (phenomena) are the same." (Ontop of what I've mentioned before: That all of this is being talked about in the context of how all things are sunya/empty, and that to comprehend this principle, the state of no-mind must be attained)
To understand the concept of Buddha-Nature which follows the concept that all things are in truth one thing (Forms, Emptiness, Etc) you must grasp the No-Mind Spell. This Spell covers the concept that all things, whether they be form, emptiness, the mind, body, etc all are but the same, and to reach enlightenment you must view them as truly empty, an emptiness without form. This merges into the Dharmakaya explanation of how it is the bodiless body, something that has no extension, it is not a part of the emptiness with form, it is the emptiness that is without form.
So, yes, I think it's pretty obviously just talking about, and my point isn't exactly reliant on outside sources about Buddhist doctrine, either. I just used that as precedent, mostly, since as said before you can't exactly sever a story from the historical context in which it was written without butchering the intent and message that the author wanted to convey. But, yes, even if you pick this (Very strange) route, what I said still seems to hold, looking at all of the evidence as one whole.
So far nothing you have said I totally disagree with, but that doesn't solve a few issues.

1. The characters acknowledge there are multiple worlds AFTER the author tells us they exist in grains of sand and dust.

2. Even ignoring the worlds within grains of sand statements, Buddha-Realms still exist in grains of sand and contain Infinite Worlds which would also have Buddha's and Buddha-Lands.

The issue is not a misunderstanding of what the novel is saying. You are telling me this stuff is Metaphysical/Not Real and is purely mental and I am explaining that it simply isn't.

但它确实这么说。比如你用的翻译是“大千世界中的一沙一沙,还有“一个人的身心就像万事一样”(万事,如前所述,是“一切存在, ”所以这个陈述似乎在说宏观宇宙在局部事物中发现了一定程度的自相似性)。就连一粒尘埃承载“三千世界”的说法,似乎也是在提到这个,因为这也是一个带有类似内涵的术语

然后你有我上面显示的翻译,它将“身心”陈述翻译为“在单一的身心中,所有的法(现象)都是一样的”。(在我之前提到的之上:所有这一切都是在一切事物如何是空性/空性的背景下谈论的,要理解这个原则,必须达到无心的状态)

所以,是的,我认为这很明显只是在谈论,我的观点也不完全依赖于关于佛教教义的外部资料。我只是将其用作先例,主要是因为如前所述,您无法在不扼杀作者想要传达的意图和信息的情况下将故事与撰写故事的历史背景完全分开。但是,是的,即使你选择这条(非常奇怪的)路线,我所说的似乎仍然成立,将所有证据作为一个整体来看待。

But it does say exactly that. For instance, the translation you use says "A grand of sand the chilliocosm holds," and also "One's mind or body is like ten thousand things" (Ten thousand things, as said before, being a Chinese term for "All of existence," so this statement appears to be pretty much saying that the macrocosm finds a degree of self-similarity within local things). Even the statement about a grain of dust holding "three thousand worlds" seems to be a reference to this as well, since that's also terminology carrying similar connotation.

So, yes, I think it's pretty obviously just talking about, and my point isn't exactly reliant on outside sources about Buddhist doctrine, either. I just used that as precedent, mostly, since as said before you can't exactly sever a story from the historical context in which it was written without butchering the intent and message that the author wanted to convey. But, yes, even if you pick this (Very strange) route, what I said still seems to hold, looking at all of the evidence as one whole.
However, this goes against the context of the novel. The following text clearly shows the existence of these worlds, and the most important thing is that these sentences are obviously the author's writing technique

of the novel. For example, in Chapter 21, the author describes the storm of the yellow wind demon. According to your understanding, these should be only metaphors

IMG-20220902-044128.jpg

Maňjuśrī green haired lion ran away
Vis/vabhadra lost his white elephant

but in Chapter 75, the green lion and the white elephant appear in the plot. You can see many similar plots in the novel, so I think these sentences are not just metaphors

In addition, the author also repeated the classical structure of the Buddhist universe again and again in the text, which can not be denied in any case. The following text also clearly explains the existence of these fields

In addition, the author also repeated the classical structure of the Buddhist universe again and again in the text, which can not be denied in any case. The following text also clearly explains the existence of these fields
Appreciate the assitance but you should try to avoid posting three times in a row.

比如说你用的翻译是“大千世界中的一沙一沙,“还有一个人的身体就像万事一样”(万事,如前,是“所以一切都存在,”看起来在说人这有点类似的东西中,发现在的相似之处

然后你有关于这一切的一切,所有的一切都是在事物如何是性/空性的背景下谈论的,要理解这个原则,必须达到无心的

所以,是的,我这很明显只是在谈论,我的观点也不完全依赖于教义的外部资料。作为一个众生来。

I don't think you know much about ancient Chinese novels and novelists' writing techniques. In ancient times, novelists would use a writing technique called "wedge(楔子)" to directly describe the story. For example, in the first chapter of the journey to the west, the wedge was used to directly show how the universe was born.
I also think you have a misunderstanding about translation and Buddhist knowledge. No matter which sect, the three thousand world is not just a metaphor,There is a problem with the translation of this original paragraph。

佛即心兮心即佛,心佛从来皆要物。若知无物又无心,便是真心法身佛。法身佛,没模样,一颗圆光涵万象。无体之体即真体,无相之相即实相。非色非空非不空,不来不向不回向。无异无同无有无,难舍难取难听望。内外灵光到处同,一佛国在一沙中。一粒沙含大千界,一个身心万法同。知之须会无心诀,不染不滞为净业。善恶千端无所为,便是南无释迦叶

The actual meaning of this paragraph is to describe the Buddha's powerful power and how to lead to the truth

佛即心兮心即佛,心佛从来皆要物。若知无物又无心,便是真心法身佛。This passage is used to describe what is a Dharmakaya body and how to achieve this state
法身佛,没模样,一颗圆光涵万象。无体之体即真体,无相之相即实相。非色非空非不空,不来不向不回向。无异无同无有无,难舍难取难听望。This passage is to describe the power of Dharmakaya。
内外灵光到处同,一佛国在一沙中。一粒沙含大千界,一个身心万法同。知之须会无心诀,不染不滞为净业。善恶千端无所为,便是南无释迦叶。like the above, it describes the strength of Dharmakaya and how to achieve the state of Dharmakaya。

These contents are actual things, not pure philosophical contents.

And the scene that the author described in Chapter 98 when Sun Wukong arrived at a place close to the Buddhist realm
IMG-20220902-054038.jpg

These things are not exaggerated metaphors

Would you like to make a new thread to revise it? It seems that we can't reach an agreement due to translation. I can help you if you want
It's fine. I'm fairly confident this CRT is still going to go through unless Ultima has an argument that really shuts us down. So far he has no proof these things are purely metaphorical.

CRT 仍然有这些关系,因此。Ultima 确实有一点让我觉得他没有任何证据证明他的性情,通过这个故事讲述了这个比喻。
I have a lot of evidence here to prove that the translation he used misunderstands the meaning of the original Chinese text. If I can, I want to publish it

Last edited:
1 I have not read JTTW. I will assume that the passages quoted in the cosmology blog are indeed good, i.e. a good representation of what the work means.

2 - Consequently, it would seem that JTTW follows the standard Buddhist cosmology based on Sumeru, four continents and layers. In this sense I don't see how worlds are infinite in the first place. If they are not infinite, infinite recursion obviously does not give an infinite hierarchy.

3 - Sun Wukong's page indicates, for the Lifting Strengh: Immeasurable (A Buddha can hold the lower cosmology in their palm, which include recursive universes.) (= author's point of view). This is in contradiction with the rest of the page, which does not admit infinite recursions of infinite universes.

4 - "Point: This make's absolutely no sense as it would make everyone, even a normal worm in JTTW 1-B.
Counter: No it would not, an example of this is the I/O Verse. They have a High 1-B Cosmology within this verse and they deal with this issue very simply. Every world below the Main one is 11-C, and everything above it goes into High Dimensions, 5-D, 6-D, 7-D, etc."

This doesn't work. This is a blatant contradiction with the author's thesis "every World in JTTW should be a High 1-B Structure". Here we have an infinite number of worlds that are not. If we admit this, then the "main world" (how do we know what the main world is?) is 3-D and there is no infinite hierarchy below it, just above it. If we want infinite recursion, then yes the worms are also High 1-B. This is not absurd though (why not?) but I don't think it's true.

5 - And yeah, apophatic theology has absolutely nothing to do with it.

2 - Consequently, it would seem that JTTW follows the standard Buddhist cosmology based on Sumeru, four continents and layers. In this sense I don't see how worlds are infinite in the first place. If they are not infinite, infinite recursion obviously does not give an infinite hierarchy.
Each Buddha-Land has Infinite Worlds, though you do not need Infinite Worlds for Infinite Recursion just a single world in another world infinitely is enough.
3 - Sun Wukong's page indicates, for the Lifting Strengh: Immeasurable (A Buddha can hold the lower cosmology in their palm, which include recursive universes.) (= author's point of view). This is in contradiction with the rest of the page, which does not admit infinite recursions of infinite universes.
The current Cosmology accepts that there are worlds within the main JTTW World (Hince Recursive Universes) and Buddha can hold those worlds and the main world in their palm. This upgrade is proposing that recursion is indeed infinite and not limited to a one-time thing.
This doesn't work. This is a blatant contradiction with the author's thesis "every World in JTTW should be a High 1-B Structure". Here we have an infinite number of worlds that are not. If we admit this, then the "main world" (how do we know what the main world is?) is 3-D and there is no infinite hierarchy below it, just above it. If we want infinite recursion, then yes the worms are also High 1-B. This is not absurd though (why not?) but I don't think it's true.
The Main World is just a word being used to describe where the story of JTTW takes place. If this upgrade is successful the Main World would contain Infinite Worlds, and each of those worlds would contain Infinite Worlds, and so on and so forth. On top of that, the Buddha-Land in the Main World would also exist within a grain of sand of an even higher world. Infinite Hierarchy divided by 23434242 = Infinite Hierarchy. It doesn't matter how you slice it.

Each Buddha-Land has Infinite Worlds, though you do not need Infinite Worlds for Infinite Recursion just a single world in another world infinitely is enough.

If by buddha-land you mean buddha-field (buddhaksetra) then I am absolutely not convinced. Anyway you should separate the prodigies of the Buddhas from the "normal" cosmology.

Finally, be careful: I am talking about worlds of infinite size, not about an infinity of worlds. It is quite certain that there are an infinity of worlds in the Chinese Buddhist cosmology, thus in JTTW, but much less certain that these worlds are of infinite size. If you have worlds of infinite size, then an infinite recursion gives High-1-B (for all beings in all worlds). If the worlds are of finite size, it gives Low-2-C.

But I'm not interested in arguing about the actual size of the worlds - I'll just leave you with the observation that the worlds (all worlds) must be infinite in size for infinite recursion to give 1-B.

The current Cosmology accepts that there are worlds within the main JTTW World (Hince Recursive Universes) and Buddha can hold those worlds and the main world in their palm. This upgrade is proposing that recursion is indeed infinite and not limited to a one-time thing.

Really? I don't think so, but if we accept it then it seems plausible that the recursion is infinite. Aesthetically, it makes more sense.

The Main World is just a word being used to describe where the story of JTTW takes place. If this upgrade is successful the Main World would contain Infinite Worlds, and each of those worlds would contain Infinite Worlds, and so on and so forth. On top of that, the Buddha-Land in the Main World would also exist within a grain of sand of an even higher world. Infinite Hierarchy divided by 23434242 = Infinite Hierarchy. It doesn't matter how you slice it.

Indeed? That is exactly what I am saying. In case of infinite recursion, the snails are High 1-B. I don't have a priori problem with this, but it seems to me that you argued against it.

If by buddha-land you mean buddha-field (buddhaksetra) then I am absolutely not convinced. Anyway you should separate the prodigies of the Buddhas from the "normal" cosmology.

Finally, be careful: I am talking about worlds of infinite size, not about an infinity of worlds. It is quite certain that there are an infinity of worlds in the Chinese Buddhist cosmology, thus in JTTW, but much less certain that these worlds are of infinite size. If you have worlds of infinite size, then an infinite recursion gives High-1-B (for all beings in all worlds). If the worlds are of finite size, it gives Low-2-C.

But I'm not interested in arguing about the actual size of the worlds - I'll just leave you with the observation that the worlds (all worlds) must be infinite in size for infinite recursion to give 1-B.
I don't know why people have this misconception. But from what I've been told we see each Low 2-C Structure as such. Along the timeline of a Universe in each small integer of time 0.001 seconds, 0.0001 seconds -->up to Infinitesimal amounts of time, there is a snapshot of the universe. Following this logic, a Space-Time Continuum contains Infinity^Infinity of whatever is inside of it which is why even a High 3-A Universe can never be as large as a Low 2-C Structure.

This is also why if you have one Space-Time embedded in another Space-Time that secondary Space-Time has Infinity^Infinity number of copies of sed Space-Time embedded in its timeline. Simply put the difference between the first universe and the embedded one would be larger than countable infinity hence it qualifies for a higher dimension.
Really? I don't think so, but if we accept it then it seems plausible that the recursion is infinite. Aesthetically, it makes more sense.
Ya, that's why I'm trying to say, but they are either saying that makes no sense or that suddenly the worlds are metaphorical and not real.
Indeed? That is exactly what I am saying. In case of infinite recursion, the snails are High 1-B. I don't have a priori problem with this, but it seems to me that you argued against it.
Well, that's just the wiki standard. If a Verse's Main Story is taking place somewhere in a High 1-B Structure but is not confirmed to be at the bottom or the top then we just assume it is a 3D or 4D.

如果你所说的佛土是指佛土(buddhaksetra),那么我绝对不相信。无论如何,您应该将佛陀的神童与“正常”的宇宙学分开。

最后,请注意:我说的是无限大小的世界,而不是无限的世界。在中国佛教的宇宙观中,也就是在JTTW中,有无数个世界是相当肯定的,但更不能肯定这些世界是无限大的。如果您有无限大小的世界,那么无限递归会给出 High-1-B(适用于所有世界中的所有生物)。如果世界的大小是有限的,它会给出 Low-2-C。

但我对争论世界的实际大小不感兴趣——我只是让你观察一下,世界(所有世界)的大小必须是无限的,才能无限递归以给出 1-B。

真的吗?我不这么认为,但如果我们接受它,那么递归是无限的似乎是合理的。从美学上讲,它更有意义。

的确?这正是我要说的。在无限递归的情况下,蜗牛是高 1-B。我对此没有先验问题,但在我看来,你反对它。
I don't think you know much about Chinese Buddhism. In order to better explain his world view, the author directly copied and revised the original Chinese Buddhist dictionary,So far, I have not seen the opponents show evidence to prove their wrong world view. I only saw that they used a lot of wrong translations to misinterpret the original meaning

A Buddha−kingdom can be found in a grain of sand.
A grain of sand can hold a thousand worlds;

To be honest, although most of the translations of journey to the West on the market have problems, this is the first time I have seen such translations

三千世界 大千界(无边的世界)

For the first time, I saw (大千世界) translated into a thousand worlds, and (三千世界) translated into three thousand worlds. This kind of translation doesn't understand religious terms at all

Let me give a simple example. For example, the author of "journey to the west" explained that Dharma body is the same as Buddhism

佛即心兮心即佛,心佛根本皆要物。
若知无物又无心,是真如法身佛。
法身佛,没你,圆光涵万象。
无体之体即真体,无相之相即实相。
非色非空非不空,不来不向不回向。
无异无同无无,难舍难取难听望。
灵外光同,一佛国在沙中。
一粒沙含大千界,一个全身心的万法同。
知之须会无心诀,不染不滞为净业。
善恶千端无所为,是南无释迦叶
This is the original Chinese text

This is the explanation of Dharma bodied(法身) in the Chinese Buddhist dictionary
IMG-20220906-055631.jpg

It can be seen that it is almost the same, because the author directly copied and modified it, without distorting the original meaning, including the interpretation of other Buddhist Terms

一佛世界
https://www.zhonghuashu.com/wiki/佛学大辞典/一佛世界

IMG-20220906-060514.jpg

三千世界
IMG-20220906-060753.jpg
法身

Last edited:
I don't think you know much about Chinese Buddhism. In order to better explain his world view, the author directly copied and revised the original Chinese Buddhist dictionary,So far, I have not seen the opponents show evidence to prove their wrong world view. I only saw that they used a lot of wrong translations to misinterpret the original meaning

A Buddha−kingdom can be found in a grain of sand.
A grain of sand can hold a thousand worlds;

To be honest, although most of the translations of journey to the West on the market have problems, this is the first time I have seen such translations

三千世界 大千界(无边的世界)

For the first time, I saw (大千世界) translated into a thousand worlds, and (三千世界) translated into three thousand worlds. This kind of translation doesn't understand religious terms at all

Let me give a simple example. For example, the author of "journey to the west" explained that Dharma body is the same as Buddhism

佛即心兮心即佛,心佛根本皆要物。
若知无物又无心,是真如法身佛。
法身佛,没你,圆光涵万象。
无体之体即真体,无相之相即实相。
非色非空非不空,不来不向不回向。
无异无同无无,难舍难取难听望。
灵外光同,一佛国在沙中。
一粒沙含大千界,一个全身心的万法同。
知之须会无心诀,不染不滞为净业。
善恶千端无所为,是南无释迦叶
This is the original Chinese text

This is the explanation of Dharma bodied(法身) in the Chinese Buddhist dictionary
IMG-20220906-055631.jpg

It can be seen that it is almost the same, because the author directly copied and modified it, without distorting the original meaning, including the interpretation of other Buddhist Terms

一佛世界
https://www.zhonghuashu.com/wiki/佛学大辞典/一佛世界

IMG-20220906-060514.jpg

三千世界
IMG-20220906-060753.jpg
法身

This is probably an edifying presentation, unfortunately I don't speak a word of Chinese so it totally escapes me. I'm not sure I understand what is written in English either: apparently I would be wrong (I'm an ignorant person) and people would pit their false worldview against the author's true worldview (? ) and there have been copy-and-paste dictionaries and there have been wrong translations and it's probably mean-spirited to mock someone who obviously used Chinese-to-English translation software to write but who cares: it's incomprehensible and I don't see the point.

Last edited:
This is probably an edifying presentation, unfortunately I don't speak a word of Chinese so it totally escapes me. I'm not sure I understand what is written in English either: apparently I would be wrong (I'm an ignorant person) and people would pit their false worldview against the author's true worldview (? ) and there have been copy-and-paste dictionaries and there have been wrong translations and it's probably mean-spirited to mock someone who obviously used Chinese-to-English translation software to write but who cares: it's incomprehensible and I don't see the point.
Well, if I offend you, I apologize

Which staff members do we currently need help from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back