• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A problem I have with the current rules on religion / mythology tiering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wright Way said:
This is a horrible idea. If the double stabdard bothers you, then we can just remove the other mythology pages, but we're not giving God an actual profile.
Mind diving into why you think so?

I don't think millions upon millions of people are using Saitama as their way of life, Christianity and Islam are just that, their way of life. Add in the fact that hostilities between followers of these two religions exist for more than a thousand years and the fact that those hostilities are currently increasing due to the situation in Europe and you really don't want to meddle in that.

@Aogiri

People have slauthered each other in the millions because of their religius belief, putting a rating on a religion of the modern era is way too controvertial

and about greek and Nordic gods, the cult of those religion is roughty as big as that of the flying spaghetti monster theses days, so that's why it's not controversial to put rating to them

The problem would be that if religious extremists found out that their god loses to an anime girl or nazi they would likely attack us relentlessly and far worse then any troll.

Sure people maybe salty about salty about Saitama but people dont worship and devote their lives to them.

As others have said if the double standard is that bad then it would be better to just remove the other Myth profiles than adding the likes of God, Jesus and Muhammad.

There are literally only 2000 confirmed adherents to Greek neopaganism, and I'm fairly certain that the numbers are just as small for Egyptian and Norse neopaganism. That's too little to justify removing mythological stuff or adding profiles for major religious stuff.

ThisIsMySwagPack said:
I don't think millions upon millions of people are using Saitama as their way of life, Christianity and Islam are just that, their way of life. Add in the fact that hostilities between followers of these two religions exist for more than a thousand years and the fact that those hostilities are currently increasing due to the situation in Europe and you really don't want to meddle in that.
Again. Popularity should be irrelevant, and please stop taking the Saitama example literally.

We do this to religions people actually believe in no matter how small (Norse myth making a comeback comes to mind). Either all of it is okay, or none of it's okay.

Let's put this into perspective. There's a difference between something that gets assholes spouting death threats online and something that literally has started wars.

Secondly, I'm a Christian myself. How the flying **** do you expect me to justify this kind of thing with my beliefs?

Third, religions are REAL to the people who believe them. If we add all religions then we may as well add real life characters. To the people who worship these religions, there is no difference.

I honestly don't see any evidence for this widespread belief people are positing about hostility toward an indexing wiki over the inclusion of religious figures.

Is there ANY actual evidence this is based on, or is it raw conjecture based on nothing?

The Wright Way said:
This is a horrible idea. If the double stabdard bothers you, then we can just remove the other mythology pages, but we're not giving God an actual profile.
I agree it's far better if we just removed mythology enterily from the site, no reason to have that double standard.

The Wright Way said:
Let's put this into perspective. There's a difference between something that gets assholes spouting death threats online and something that literally has started wars.
Secondly, I'm a Christian myself. How the flying **** do you expect me to justify this kind of thing with my beliefs?

Third, religions are REAL to the people who believe them. If we add all religions then we may as well add real life characters. To the people who worship these religions, there is no difference.
First: People have started wars over shiny rocks. Don't get too riled up here.

To the second: you.....accept that feats are feats and not indicative of any belief or truth? If your faith is shaken by examining God's feats then, well....I suppose I don't need to finish that.

To the third: Religions are based in belief. Reality is simply what people make of it for themselves. Someone's inability to divide belief from fact is not the wiki's problem

The Wright Way said:

And if I were to bring someone who believes in one of the many mythologies we've tiered, they would probably feel the same way.

Religions are real to the people who believe them yes... Like the many religions we've went and tiered. Even if they have small followings. Again it's a double standard. We either nuke the mythology profiles, or take the ban off all mythologies.

No matter how much I would love mythology and religion profiles to exist, this topic is too sensitive for alot of people so it would probably be better to delete all mythology and religious profiles for the sake of being consistent and transparent.

Yeah no, committing blasphemy to millions for no reason and acting like you can just brush off the controversy that does is plain stupid, to not say a more offensive word.

I don't know what you think this place is, but vsbattles has to conform to Fandom, which itself bends to whatever is popular. Committing social suicide, as far as they are concerned, is the same as plain killing this wikia.

Not happening. You have several reasons (even besides this) to argue that other religions shouldn't be on here, but we are not adding religions currently worshipped.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Yeah no, committing blasphemy to millions for no reason and acting like you can just brush off the controversy that does is plain stupid, to not say a more offensive word.
I don't know what you think this place is, but vsbattles has to conform to Fandom, which itself bends to whatever is popular. Committing social suicide, as far as they are concerned, is the same as plain killing this wikia.

Not happening. You have several reasons (even besides this) to argue that other religions shouldn't be on here, but we are not adding religions currently worshipped.
You already have religions that are currently worshipped, thus making it a double standard. If you really think so, then start nuking the mythology profiles we already have.

I agree with Kira. It's a ******* massive double standard. Oh, and this is from an actual Christian as well by the way. I believe in God, but I have no right to force my beliefs down the throats of others. As such, I have no right to get salty over people talking about my religion from a more index-based standpoint. It doesn't harm me, my faith, or anyone for that matter. But either way, saying that Greek Myth is somehow better is just dumb. I actually know a guy who worships the Greek gods. Guess what? Him worshipping something less popular doesn't invalidate the fact that it is his belief. Either we treat all religions the same, or we treat all religions the same. There should be no argument about that one.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
In what way is this blasphemy, to examine a religious text and analyze what the powers that be in perform, objectively? That seems a cop-out.

Is there anything on Fandom precluding the discussion of deific figures? I presume not, since several exist on this wiki already and we are not nuked

Kepekley23 said:
Common sense exists. Shouldn't need to tell you why comparing this to long dead religions with pockets of followers in modern day is a false equivalence, but apparently I do.
That's not an argument, Kep, and does not actually engage what the OP discussed.

Yeah, I really don't see how you can think you can just ignore religious controversy when 9/11 is a thing that happened and that religious persecution is still happening world wide.

I'm fine with nuking mythology, but the alternative is just idiotic.

KaitlynTheKitsune said:
I agree with Kira. It's a ******* massive double standard. Oh, and this is from an actual Christian as well by the way. I believe in God, but I have no right to force my beliefs down the throats of others. As such, I have no right to get salty over people talking about my religion from a more index-based standpoint. It doesn't harm me, my faith, or anyone for that matter. But either way, saying that Greek Myth is somehow better is just dumb. I actually know a guy who worships the Greek gods. Guess what? Him worshipping something less popular doesn't invalidate the fact that it is his belief. Either we treat all religions the same, or we treat all religions the same. There should be no argument about that one.
The thing is not every religious person is like you. It'd be nice if no one got offended but that will never be the case until this planet blows up.

In fact it seems the trend for getting easily offended has gone up exponentially.

Kepekley23 said:
Common sense exists. Shouldn't need to tell you why comparing this to long dead religions with pockets of followers in modern day is a false equivalence, but apparently I do.
Long dead religions and yet Norse Mythology has made a comeback, and Shintoism is moderately popular in it's own right?

Again, we already have things people believe and popularity should be irrelevant. That logic is inconsistent. If people don't want their beliefs being infringed upon don't do it to other people and remove the mythology profiles alltogether.

The Wright Way said:
Yeah, I really don't see how you can think you can just ignore religious controversy when 9/11 is a thing that happened and that religious persecution is still happening world wide.
I'm fine with nuking mythology, but the alternative is just idiotic.
Then let's nuke mythology and nix religious discussion altogether. I agree to this

I'm in favor of removing more mythologies than adding them granted the huge amount of controversy behind it, in fact, I know quite a fair amount of people close to me that would be upset if they saw Gitche Manitou.

We already try to avoid controversies so minor such as Goku vs. Superman, so why do we allow pages like this?

I dislike bothering to tier any religion to begin with because they're so divisive on top of having so many varying interpretations that making any page that covers it all is probably impossible.

There's a big difference between widely practiced religions like the Abrahamic ones and some pagans going back to Norse stuff, anyways, and acting like there isn't is just being intentionally ignorant.

Either way, making pages for said widely practiced religions is only going to

• Attract controversy
  • Piss off a large portion of the userbase
  • Encourage people to make matches for the purpose of spiting religions
  • Be impossible anyways thanks to the billions of varying interpretations
Not worth it.

There's only so far where you can go by saying "popularity should be irrelevant". Assigning stats for Goku? Yeah, it shouldn't matter. But trying to index and catalogue the Gods of Christian and Islamic faiths all because "popularity shouldn't matter"? That only goes so far.

That's not an argument, Kep, and does not actually engage what the OP discussed.

It's not an argument, I'll tell you that much, and I am more than aware that it's not something "objectively" incorrect. Even granting all those things, you're perfectly aware of the implications, Ver. It's about having the sense not to piss off the majority of our userbase for absolutely no reason other than memeing about how the Christian God and Allah defeat some random Umineko character or get defeated by them.

We shouldn't be having this discussion.

KaitlynTheKitsune said:
Which is why I'm advocating for nuking mythology pages. Younand I recognize the fact that we have no right to force anyone to believe anything, but sadly lots of people worldwide don't.

Promestein said:
I dislike bothering to tier any religion to begin with because they're so divisive on top of having so many varying interpretations that making any page that covers it all is probably impossible.
There's a big difference between widely practiced religions like the Abrahamic ones and some pagans going back to Norse stuff, anyways, and acting like there isn't is just being intentionally ignorant.
I truly dislike how this is just patently saying 'Yeah your religious beliefs aren't correct enough to warrant being a protected class' unironically. As in, that's the wiki's apparent stance on it.

"We believe we cannot tier popular religions because they're dearly-held beliefs" is the arugment until a smaller religion gets brought up, at which point the 'dearly held belief' part doesn't matter because nobody wants to validate those beliefs.

That's why mythology ought to be nuked

There are 2 ways to end the double standard: add Christianity profiles, delete all other mythologies. Needless to say, deleting everything else is a way more safer answer to this problem.

KaitlynTheKitsune said:
Pretty reasonable i'd say. But regardless I know we aren't going to add Jesus to the wiki, but thats what creates the double standard in the first place. I'm all for removing mythological profiles.

I truly dislike how this is just patently saying 'Yeah your religious beliefs aren't correct enough to warrant being a protected class' unironically. As in, that's the wiki's apparent stance on it.

"We believe we cannot tier popular religions because they're dearly-held beliefs" is the arugment until a smaller religion gets brought up, at which point the 'dearly held belief' part doesn't matter because nobody wants to validate those beliefs.

That's why mythology ought to be nuked

Honestly... yeah. This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back