• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A question about soul/mind manipulation

Rikimarox2

He/Him
Good morning. I feel like I should just get straight to the point.

Why do we quantify mind/soul potency with quantity? Why is that if someone could mind-hax 10 people, they would be able to mindhax someone who has a resistance to a mind hax that controlled 5 people?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something here, and I probably am, but Isn't that just range? Isn't that like saying an EE that has the range of several meters and could affect multiple people is able to affect someone with basic resistance to it?

Or like time stop, where if you could time stop 10 people all at once, you are now somehow able to bypass resistances to time stop. Isn't that silly?

These are probably false equivalences or smth, but eh, I want to know what exactly makes mind/soul manipulation different from the comparisons I made.

Good morning. I feel like I should just get straight to the point.

Why do we quantify mind/soul potency with quantity? Why is that if someone could mind-hax 10 people, they would be able to mindhax someone who has a resistance to a mind hax that controlled 5 people?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something here, and I probably am, but Isn't that just range? Isn't that like saying an EE that has the range of several meters and could affect multiple people is able to affect someone with basic resistance to it?

Or like time stop, where if you could time stop 10 people all at once, you are now somehow able to bypass resistances to time stop. Isn't that silly?

These are probably false equivalences or smth, but eh, I want to know what exactly makes mind/soul manipulation different from the comparisons I made.
time stop is a totally different case ig, as time stop affect the temporal dimension itself usually, not only some specific people

1. Hax don't all work the same anyway so saying "but this other hax should just be range" is pointless.

2. Quantity is the most reasonable base assumption of potency. I dunno about others but more is better when dealing with units like minds, souls etc. feels more intuitive to me.

The only real issue I see here is when the time comes to deal with resistance. Like, if a person mind-haxxed the planet, would someone on the planet who resists be resisting all of it or just the part that acts on that area etc. This just becomes dependent on the verse in question.

But why. Why would mind hax and soul hax be somehow different than the other hax? Why can't it just be range?

Who exactly came up with the whole "More people affected = higher potency" for mind hax? Did it just feel convenient to judge it by its range and be done with it?

Couldn't the same be said about EE? Would a character erasing multiple people be more potent than a guy erasing a single person? In the end, it is just range. Nothing else.

Probably because it's more commonly treated as potency?

As for EE, it's something that negates durability in a manner completely differently from other hax anyway. Using it as a comparison is a poor choice.

Manipulating minds or souls is equavivalent to a computer juggling multiple tasks, more processing power = more potency.

Death hax, Time Manip, EE all those aren't treated as better potency in fiction.

But I have yet to see fiction portray Mind Soul manip as range only.

Even then, we're not gonna discard what is blatantly described as higher potency, regardless of method used. Be it numbers, layers etc.

Last edited:
Manipulating minds or souls is equavivalent to a computer juggling multiple tasks, more processing power = more potency.

Death hax, Time Manip, EE all those aren't treated as better potency in fiction.

But I have yet to see fiction portray Mind Soul manip as range only.
I think you’re looking at potency a bit wrong. Potency isn’t based on power but what the hax can effect, there are death hax that undead characters can die to, there’s characters that ignore the concept of death and can still die. Time manip should obviously be scaled by range and effect. And ee can work on different levels, body, mind or soul, conceptual. Mind should be treated based on its effect more than range, idek why the range would matter if it’s not potent enough to do anything else to the target.

People just considered quantity to be more reasonable method to scale hax potency, although I personally think is arbitrary.

Although it's true that several characters may reduce its powers to affect a higher number of targets, sometimes the ability cost no action or tho to the character, that is generally the case with passive abilities. If a character have passive fear hax in a 20 m radius, and the moment it used it affected 33 people, if the number of people reduces to 12 the hax is not going to suddenly turn stronger, or if the amount of people increases to 49 is not going to turn weaker.

You may compare it to a corrosive/poisonous gas, the are covered by it wouldn't simply makes it more lethal to one individual.

I think you’re looking at potency a bit wrong. Potency isn’t based on power but what the hax can effect, there are death hax that undead characters can die to, there’s characters that ignore the concept of death and can still die. Time manip should obviously be scaled by range and effect. And ee can work on different levels, body, mind or soul, conceptual. Mind should be treated based on its effect more than range, idek why the range would matter if it’s not potent enough to do anything else to the target.
I never said numbers was the only aspect as potency to judge.
Attributes you mentioned and those beyond it like "smurf" or some other exotic bugaloo are just another facets of such haxxes that are contributive to versatility and potency of hax, that as far as I know we already acknowledge while profiling characters besides numbers.

Thus, I don't see any problem with numbers.

Back