• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A small change to Standard Battle Assumptions

So currently we have this as our Standard Battle Assumptions:

"In character, but willing to kill. The characters will employ their usual battle strategies, including flaws such as being casual, however, must be willing to kill the opponent even if they usually won't."

I have been thinking of this for a while.

But the 'in character' argument is dropped for some threads and not others.

Take for example Bolas vs Homura, we basically just looked at hax and called it a day.

Same for Bolas vs GeOM or GeOM vs Abeloth. We didnt take into account their personality or how they would actually fight.

By contrast, for Goku vs He Man (actually a good few goku threads), and (insert JRPG character here) vs (guy with no hax), will basically just lean to the person who has used their abilities far more in character. The Perpetual among a few others expressed discontent of an argument with the former thread of hax because it wasn't in character.

I personally have no opinion of the matter anymore, but I think we should modify it just a tad.

"In character, but willing to kill or incapicitate within reasonable doubt. Characters will employ their usual battle strategies if they have access to them, as well having all flaws including being casual, reluctance, arrogance etc. Characters must be willing to kill or maim their opponent even if they usually will not."

I wont push this too hard, but this wiki sometimes either follows hax vs hax or character vs character.

This basically just adds on to the original definition.

Hax matches do take into account their personality though. You seeing a match where it isn't the case doesn't mean every hax match ignores that. It's just that usually, hax characters will use their hax foremost in a fight.

Besides, I don't see how the changes you propose relate to the first part of the OP. The only thing is that you added that they will use their hax, which...doesn't really make sense. Hax abilities are just like any other abilities, they shouldn't be given special treatment when it comes to mindset.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Hax matches do take into account their personality though. You seeing a match where it isn't the case doesn't mean every hax match ignores that. It's just that usually, hax characters will use their hax foremost in a fight.
Besides, I don't see how the changes you propose relate to the first part of the OP. The only thing is that you added that they will use their hax, which...doesn't really make sense. Hax abilities are just like any other abilities, they shouldn't be given special treatment when it comes to mindset.
Fine, I will change the last part.

But my point stands. Sometimes we drop 'in character' for some matches, and sometimes we just compare hax and go 'Lightning because time stop'

I think it is probably more so the somewhat ambuguity of SBA but that is just me.

We don't though. If "Lightning because time stop" is a thing, it's either that the match is bloodlusted, that Lightning would use time stop first in-character or that this ability is going to make her win even if she doesn't use it first.

It's just that character is a bit less important in matches with strong abilities, as those abilities mean that being more skilled or ruthless than the opponent moot.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
It's just that character is a bit less important in matches with strong abilities, as those abilities mean that being more skilled or ruthless than the opponent moot.
I would concede this point, but there are matches that we accepted that prove the countary. I get that we are probably setting aside nuance for some,but generally speaking the idea we limit someone just because 'in character'. Sometimes, hax has been shown to only be seen once or twice, and thus it is automatically dismissed. You can argue that reasonable doubt implies that all abilities that may otherwise not be a factor would be granted further credence in a debate.

You can look this up with a good amount of Goku debates, and a good amount of popular series like the Big 3.

I will wait for more opinions, but that is my argument.

My changes will basically just limit the amount of times we can no sell other abilities and hax just because. It is specific.

But yeah, I will wait for more thoughts. If no one else agrees, then I will drop it.

People ignore that when its a character they want to win. Medaka matches are just "gg medaka uses everything", even when she is dumb af to start with hax.

I had thought something of the sort was always in place... that's sort of what one implicitly asserts when they say "in-character", that they would do what they would do in-character. I suppose I wouldn't mind some form of clarification on the matter, though.

ThePerpetual said:
I had thought something of the sort was always in place... that's sort of what one implicitly asserts when they say "in-character", that they would do what they would do in-character. I suppose I wouldn't mind some form of clarification on the matter, though.
It could also to some extent be our culture.

I cant count the amount of times the above happens.

I would love to compare just Hax vs Hax or Character vs Character

But this makes it more clear imo. (You already know my opinion on this from the previous thread.)

I also would like it to become more that this is the norm. I'm sick of threads going "Uxie opens its eyes" or "Luke mind haxes."

Unless they canonically lead with their potent hax, they shouldn't use it. Just a note, I may be biased in this because two of my heavy hitters (Amo and The Godwoke) both lead with their most potent hax.

I do feel like taking into account personality every battle should be the default and not overlooked. That was actually what made Artanis vs Malachite interesting; Artanis easily wins with Psionic Storm, but he doesn't use that almost ever in character.

And the great waffle man speaks ovo.

And yes, I agree. It could be our culture too...

But then again..I have had..some questionable moments.

So, considering the majority seem to agree with this small revision, is there any objections or additions we can add to this?

i would wonder what we do with characters with varying morality and such (mcs from games, choose your story characters, etc...)

Back