• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A spotlight advertisement for other wikis?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
We should apply, although save one of the 2 opportunities to use it in case we have a sudden drop in viewers.

Okay. I did not notice that we could only use it two times. Good catch.

It's always nice to expand our viewership, but the two spotlight limit is pretty important, so withholding one would be a good idea.

I agree with Someday, we're doing pretty good on new viewers for now so we should wait until it starts to drop.

So, what description text should we use in the application? Simply: "Vs Battles is a wiki for indexing the statistics of characters from a wide variety of fictional franchises"?

Yes @antvasima

Also, I want to add, if the 2 chances by annual basis resets during the end of the Western year and if we happen to have the option to use spotlight, we should use it in December (and possibly November if we don't use it now.)

Okay. I do not know when the reset time is, but I could apply tomorrow, after some more staff input.

I'm surprised we never did a spotlight here yet. Then again, you (Ant) or Kavpeny would have brought this up last year so...heh ^^;

Anyways as of the recent visitors count you brought, we seem to be doing pretty good for the most part when it comes to bringing visitors (which also, sadly, means we bring in potential trolls, rude people, etc. But still pretty good).

I mean we could do it now or later in the year but SD's idea of doing it when we start to drop sounds like a good idea to do for the moment.

Well, we could do one soon, and one when we start to drop, especially if we get 2 new highlights to use in January 2017.

Need to state that new requests for Spotlights are answered roughly twice a month. I would not expect replies from the wikia staff right away if we do manage to apply.

If by chance we do manage to apply, we should wait until November, or December, as SD stated. This is because in the worse case scenario, the reset time for the spotlight could be a year from when you first applied for Spotlight.

I am gone on vacation for a few weeks by then.

I feel like "indexing statistics" is a bit too formal for what's supposed to be an ad.

Well, it is accurate regarding what we do, which is what a matter-of-fact description should be about.

I am open for better suggestions though.

Antvasima said:
Well, it is accurate regarding what we do, which is what a matter-of-fact description should be about.
Well, for me right now there's 2 ads that aren't just for Community Central.

One is for ReCore, its caption is "Save manking with the help of Corebots!"

The other is for Twin Peaks, its caption is "Cult favorite returns after 25 years."

Neither are really accurate descriptions, but the first gives you an idea of what's going on. I was thinking more something like "Ever wondered exactly how strong your fave is?" or something of the sort.

LordX seems that have gotten the right idea.

Perhaps the caption should catch the interest of the viewer/reader upon view, as well as the picture used for the spotlight. If they are interested, they'll come check us out.

However, the caption should more or less summarize what the wikia is about. For example, a caption saying

Name: VS Battles Wiki

Caption: Where your favorite characters can duke it out. Round 1! Fight!

could be a valid idea.

I agree with Lina's suggestion, most new uers are more interested in our vs section rather than indexing stats.

That is a good point of that. Though i don't really like the idea of having a caption about us being those where we duke characters of various fictions against each other....which is pretty ironic considering the name of the wiki.

Still, an idea that Lina and Xcano said does seem pretty good to have.

I'm gonna piggyback off of Lina's idea and say we do something like that, while saying something like for example "Where Mario can duke it out with Luffy" or hopefully something much better. Obviously no Goku vs Superman stuff tho.

In that case, I would prefer "Have you ever wondered exactly how powerful your favourite characters are?" as a slogan.

The versus section is intended as a means to have fun for the visitors, but is not the main aim of the site, or what most of our work maintaining it is about. We are not a battleboard forum.

So, should I apply for an advertisement soon? I think that spacing them out seems reasonable.

I have now been informed by Wikia's official staff that our Wiki will get a spotlight:

https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/429756

However, there appears to be a problem with featuring our logo image as an advertisement.

Do any of you have a suggestion for another image? Preferably one that features popular completely unconnected comicbook characters, video game characters, book characters, movie characters, anime characters, and so onwards.

Back