• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Advise about managing the VsBattles wiki

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Since I won't be around forever, here are some instructions about how I have tried to manage it, so it functions properly:

You need the help of the staff and the community, so do your best to show proper respect, be polite to, and get along well with other staff members, and to foster a healthy productive atmosphere.

When monitoring for suspicious edits, use the Special:RecentChanges page, and possibly the "hide patrolled edits" option. You can also mark the edits that you have checked as patrolled, so several staff members do not have to do the same work.

Block rule-breakers who cause more trouble than they are worth keeping around, for long periods of time, or your unnecessary workloads will dramatically increase.

Highlight important threads that need community input, but try to be careful with doing so, so you do not spam unimportant ones.

If necessary, clarify the titles before doing so, such as writing "Naruto: Statistics revision", so people know what the thread is about from the title, and those who know about the topic can help out.

Post new copied request threads when the old ones are full. Update the front page, welcome message, and wiki navigation bar links afterwards.

Close threads when they have been resolved, and simultaneously remove any potential highlights of the topics in question.

Lock pages that attract vandalism, or that feature very popular/controversial characters.

DarkLK should generally only be disturbed regarding questions about how the tiering system works, and the statistics of high-tier profiles.

Keep Lord Kavpeny informed about the most important questions that have been raised within the wiki, even if he does not reply for over a week. He will get to them eventually.

Preferably avoid messing with rules, systems, and settings, that already work reasonably well, as you might easily mess things up, make the managing work harder, or the wiki structure worse.

Keep track of that people use the source code editor, and not the visual mode editor, as it usually messes up the page structures for other editors, and if they do not, inform them on their walls about this as a polite warning.

When changing the attack potency and durability of a character, keep track of if you need to modify the striking strength as well.

If an important calculation needs to be checked up, or performed, to properly scale a certain fictional franchise, politely ask the calculation group members on their message walls.

Check up that new profile pages have the "Characters" (or "Weapons"), and "Tier" categories, along with one for the name of the series (for example, "Naruto").

If you or somebody else in the staff finds a new potential recruit, check what the other staff members think in private messages. Then ask a bureaucrat (currently Lord Kavpeny) to interview the nominee, and inform them about what they have to do as a staff member, also in private.

It is usually better to let a potential administrator candidate start as a forum moderator, or content moderator (depending on their wiki focus), and see how well they are doing for a while, before promoting them further.

New staff members need appropriate username colours, and new calculation group members also need the (non-automatic) calc group userpage tag.

I will probably post this as a separate wiki page later.

Thanks for the advice.

Have you planned on any tentative dates to leave?

Also, as a reminder to anyone looking at this thread, only members of the staff are allowed to post here. Other posts will be deleted.

Nah. Lord Kavpeny has to get back, various issues need to be straightened out, some staff promotions need to be made, and such, before I feel comfortable leaving.

Understood. Thank you for the advice, Ant.

I do not know how to turn off the threads. I monitor both them and the profile edits.

Hmm. I think I did it. In the namespace I chose "(Main)" and "VS Battles Wiki". It only shows profile edits now.

I am glad that it was helpful.

Here is a suggestion that I forgot to mention in the original post:

If a subject has been extensively debunked, it may be a good idea to add a discussion rule about that it is not allowed to bring it up again without new evidence, while linking to the threads in which it was handled previously.

I added it to the official page as well.

So, should I add a visible link to this page to some other page within this wiki, so it is easier to remember and access, or is it enough to simply list it in the administration category?

Yeah. I just thought that maybe I should add a link to the bottom of the VS Battles Staff page, or somesuch, just so it is not forgotten in a few years.

I would like to request that any tiering revision for Undertale should be discouraged as they have been discussed here on this forum for multiple times already, especially for the God Tiers.

Well, this is the wrong thread, but you can ask Azathoth to write a discussion rule about it, which should preferably link to a few threads in which the revisions have been debunked.

Back