• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"After searching every inch of Las Vegas" — can distance be derived from area? (DC Comics)

Pursuing the six (in truth, five) ice bombs Captain Cold planted around Las Vegas, The Flash reportedly "[searched] every inch of Las Vegas" within "less than a few seconds". How exactly is traveling around an entire city calculated, though? Could the approx. distance be derived from the area of the city itself?

Surface area for distance i'd assume

Edit: if possible, also account for buildings that have at least one floor up

Last edited:
Yeah, a rough ballpark can be derived if we divide the total search area by the surface area Flash would physically occupy under normal circumstances. The number of Flashes u can fit in the search area can then be put end to end as a line(to visualize the distance Flash would have traveled, kinda) and then the distance can be derived.

Yeah, a rough ballpark can be derived if we divide the total search area by the surface area Flash would physically occupy under normal circumstances. The number of Flashes u can fit in the search area can then be put end to end as a line(to visualize the distance Flash would have traveled, kinda) and then the distance can be derived.
But a character doesn't have to occupy a space to search it. Flash could have just ran until his vision allowed him to see whether or not his target was there.
They are pretty small though so maybe this can be disregarded.

Last edited:
But a character doesn't have to occupy a space to search it. Flash could have just ran until his vision allowed him to see whether or not his target was there.
They are pretty small though so maybe this can be disregarded.
Well yeah, but I said just as a ballpark, I mean a normal person's vision should be sufficient for searching a couple of square meters. Also, I prioritized this"[searched] every inch of Las Vegas" so.
So around 351700000 m^2 / 1.7 m^2?
He occupies 1.7m^2? Not sure what your calculation is so I will just give you an idea of what I kind of meant.
I will just simplify the calculation by making some assumptions(you can try better assumptions and variables for more accuracy) and say that Flash can scan everything in a 3 feet(0.9144 m) diameter circular area(0.657 m^2) around him.
=> 351700000 m^2/ 0.657 m^2 = 535312024; the points of area that flash has to scan.
The distance he would have traveled would be all the points he had to scan multiplied by the distance he had to travel for each point which would be equal to the diameter of his search area which I considered it to be a 3 feet circle.
=> 535312024 x 0.9144m = 489489315m approx

Back