• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An official "New Calculations" thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
RadicalMrR suggested that we should have an official thread, in which users can place links to their new blog post calculations, so the calc group, and other members can easily become informed about them, without having to message each person individually.

Do you think that this is a good idea, and if so, what should we use as an appropriate title for the thread?

Yeah. This would be to inform the community about the existence of their calculation blogs, before they are accepted. The calc group, and other members of the staff, can then subscribe to the thread in question.

Of course, Wikia's notification service can be very glitchy, but it might be worth a try.

Oh i get it. The one we have here is one about calcs we have already accepted, whereas this one is where we can get a thread that posts new calcs that have yet to be accepted.

Is that right? If so, i don't mind the use of this cause at least this way, those of our calc group and ones who know how to calc (who aren't part of our group) can subscribe to the thread to check them out themselves. *Nods*

That'd probably be a good idea.

Calc Check thread or something for the title, I guess.

@CrossverseCrisis Yeah. That is the idea.

"Recent Community Calculations" seems fine.

Should we let people post links to new calculations at the Narutoforums, and elsewhere, as well?

The name Alaka suggested sounds good to have.

IDK, Ant. Haven't we been known to accept their calcs as well (albeit having to modify it to match our systems)?

Yeah, but on second thought, this thread might be an inappropriate way to post links to off-site calculations, as our own blog posts allow to calculation group to evaluate them with comments, whereas the former alternative does not.

Most off site calcs we use here are from NF. Most of our staff have NF accounts. Even if they don't it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to make an account.

Yes, but that is not how we evaluate whether or not they should be accepted. We do that locally via our own via comments here in this site. It would create potential conflicts and lots of extra work if we start to meddle directly with the OBD, and other communities.

However, maybe we could handle off-site calculations a bit differently:

Rather than post a link to VsBattles blog posts, maybe we could start separate evaluation threads for the more important off-site calculations in the content revision forum, and then link to them in the "Recent Community Calculations" thread?

I can say that the idea is something I myself would find useful, since I also find it annoying to write on everyones talk page in order to get the necessary opinions on my calcs (I actually have some calcs I still haven't done that for even though the calc is already there).

I would also support having off site calculations discussed in seperate threads and have them linked to the main thread, as Antvasima suggested.

To also mention the cons to this though:

As I mentioned back when we created the calculation request thread, having this things gather in a thread means that the message refers to nobody in particular and through that one finds oneself less urged to actually look at it, since everyone has thinks someone else would do it eventually.

I think in the calculation request thread showed that this is not entirely unfounded (though the amount of calcs requested and other factors might have something to do with the relative amount of calcs not to not be done as well).

Well, maybe we could use it as a complement? If it fails to garner attention, people can start sending personal messages to the calculation group members.

Okay. I will create a thread for this purpose then.

DT's points do make sense. I find it annoying to bother the calc group since they have other things to do, weather online or IRL or otherwise, so i tend to wait after a while even though they could have checked like 2-3 calc's made here in the same week or so.

Discussing calcs made outside the wiki such as those from the OBD/NF.Net and that of even T5Forums, yeah that should be talked in a seperate place first then linked to the main thread.

Hmm....well the cons seem to make sense....but i feel that the pros would out weigh it more but i don't reject the possibilites of those being said about from DT...

Anyways, the new page looks good.

Okay. I will lock this thread then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back