• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(Another) Pikachu Speed Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
So, funny story. I was watching Pokemon the Movie 2000 before I went to sleep just now for fun, and I watched the Pikachu short first. It was mostly a bunch of cute little Pokeshenanigans. However, something important happened during the climax. Pikachu reacted to real lightning. Not Pokemon lightning, or coming from a machine, but actual cloud to ground lightning. Pikachu cancelled out the CtG lighnning with its own. Now I'm no serious calcer, but I know there's a speed upgrade in that to get beyon mach 35.

Link to the scene: https://vimeo.com/160400606#t=900s

You can ask some calculation group member to take a look at this, if you wish, but it is likely not important enough. Also, Pokemon has extremely messy continuity, so I am uncertain what counts, and what does not.

Thing is cloud to ground lightning has to travel a huge distance.

Its reactions so we basically have to measure from beginning of the lightning (the cloud).

In other words the table on the lightning dodging page more or less tells you everything.

Dodging by moving 1 meter would be usually subsonic speed, and the reaction speed won't be that much higher.

Take 2000m as cloud height and 4.4*10^5 m/s as lightning speed.

That means that it would take 0.0045454545454545 seconds for the lightning to reach the ground.

So about 4.54 milliseconds.

that is supersonic perception.

Now one might argue that pikachu reacted to it before it actually hit the ground, which is true.

But even if the distance were just 500 meters the lightning traveled that would still not change the result.

So this probably is not upgrade beyond what it already has.

@DT. I'm afraid I don't fully understand. In that case, how is lightning dodging ever that fast to begin with? For example, with Mercury Black?

@TMR. It would be most appreciated if you calced it.

The real cal howard said:
@DT. I'm afraid I don't fully understand. In that case, how is lightning dodging ever that fast to begin with? For example, with Mercury Black?
Check InuYasha's or even Iroh's profiles The dodging-lightning-feat depence of how much distance did the lightning move, and how much distance did the character that is dodging it moved.

Okay. In that case I get it. However, the lightning didn't move that much. They were on the top of a giant tree, and Pikachu reacted way before the lightning hit it, seeing how the lightning didn't hit the tree.

Regrettably, there are various pages that still feature inaccurate lightning dodging statistics, from before our guideline page was made. At some point in the future, they should preferably get checked through, but for the moment it would be too much work.

Okay. In that case I get it. However, the lightning didn't move that much. They were on the top of a giant tree, and Pikachu reacted way before the lightning hit it, seeing how the lightning didn't hit the tree.
Then the feat is not the big deal

But according to the formula, the fact that the Lightning didn't move much would make the feat higher. It means the feat would've been divided by less.

They were on top of a tree, but cloud height itself is already variable. And how high would the tree have been? As said cloud height would be assumed to be 2000m. And in order to get more than supersonic one would require less than 500 m.

In other words if you don't tell me that the tree is 1500 meter high this doesn't change much.

In order to get more than the current high hypersonic the lightning would have to be less than 4.4m from its origin.

But according to the formula, the fact that the Lightning didn't move much would make the feat higher. It means the feat would've been divided by less.
The formula is: ((distance the character moved)*(speed of lightning))/(distance the lightning was from the character when he/she started to move)

So like @DT said:

In other words if you don't tell me that the tree is 1500 meter high this doesn't change much. In order to get more than the current high hypersonic the lightning would have to be less than 4.4m from its origin.

So basically, pikachu is already fast enough that he would need to react to that lightning from point blank in order to demonstrate anything beyond what we already know he can do.

poA Sword Dancer said:
So basically, pikachu is already fast enough that he would need to react to that lightning from point blank in order to demonstrate anything beyond what we already know he can do.
not point-blank, 500 meters and I believe he is since the tree itself is huge lining up with that canyon and going by the grand canyon that is 1800 meters in depth

Nibbler3100 said:
poA Sword Dancer said:
not point-blank, 500 meters and I believe he is since the tree itself is huge lining up with that canyon and going by the grand canyon that is 1800 meters in depth
According to DontTalk - "In order to get more than the current high hypersonic the lightning would have to be less than 4.4m from its origin."

500 meters to get more than supersonic.

4.4 meters to get more than it already has.

(Also it is more likely to be a small cliff than a ridiculous tall tree, not to mention that it seems like the tree in total stands below the average ground, but really irrelevant as said)

Well, since the question has been handled, I will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back