• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Avengers: Infinity War Official Revision Thread (Spoilers)

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
InfinityWarPoster
Introduction

So... Here we are at last. The third Avengers Movie, the 19th Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, and the culmination of everything the series has been slowly building since it began 10 years ago: Infinity War.

Hopefully everyone's seen the movie by now. I have, and I quite enjoyed it. It didn't live up to the hype it built around itself, but then again, nothing will. It wasn't my favorite MCU movie, much less my favorite Superhero movie, but it was very good.

Regardless, we are not here to talk about the quality of the movie, although people are certainly welcome to mention their thoughts about it in this thread. Instead, we are here to discuss all the new feats, and potential scaling that the movie possesses.

And ooooh boy, let me tell you. Not since Dragon Ball Super have I seen serial escalation and bullshit scaling like in this movie.

Originally, I was planning on discussing this Character by Character, like I did on the Justice League thread which I made last year, but honestly so much stuff happens on this Movie that it renders that impossible.

Instead, I will focus primarily on the main villain, and frankly the highlight of the movie: Thanos. The things which he can do throughout the movie, and the power of the Infinity Stones themselves are of extreme importance, and if we cover then first it will make discussing the Avengers / Guardians easier.

Hopefully that'll work.

Thanos
So, let's begin:

• In the very beginning of the movie, Thanos immediately beats up Thor, Loki and Heimdall off-screen, and then casually beats up the Hulk, taking absolute no damage from his attacks.
  • Thanos' strength is greatly emphasized, as is the effortlessness with how he beats his opponent. Thanos wasn't even inconvenienced like Surtur was when struck by Hulk.
  • Throughout most of the movie, Thanos is in possession of three Infinity Stones: The Space Stone (The Tesseract), the Reality Stone (The Aether), and the Power Stone (The Orb). Just keeping count.
  • The abilities he demonstrates with these stones include Reality Warping, Illusions & Matter Manipulation / Transmutation (Reality Stone), Portal Creation across Interstellar Distances (Space Stone), and Energy Manipulation / Projection (Power Stone).
  • Worth nothing that the Power Stone is capable of rapidly laying waste to the surface of a planet, and is more powerful than a baseline Celestial, and the Reality Stone can consume the Nine Realms. This scales to Thanos' power with three stones, when he is bothering to use them
  • He later obtains the fourth Stone, the Soul Stone, by sacrificing Gamora's soul in exchange for it. With the Soul Stone he can make people drop dead and disintegrate, appropriately.
  • Mid-way throughout the movie, Four Stone Thanos fights off against Iron Man, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange and the Guardians of the Galaxy. He overpowers all of them, sooner or later, and they only manage to get a drop of blood out of him.
  • Interestingly, Mantis tries to influence his mind and she is barely able too, immediately stating that "He is very strong!" when she starts doing it. She had much greater ease influencing Ego's mind, indicating Thanos' superiority over him.
  • In this scene, Thanos tears apart the surface of one of Saturn's moons and hurls its debris into the moon Titan at what calculated to be Massively Hypersonic+ speeds. With utter ease, too. The whole scene was calculated to be 5-A on the OBD.
  • Also, during their fight, Doctor Strange tries to trap Thanos in the mirror dimension, and Thanos just straight up punches through it.
  • Later, Thanos fights the rest of the Avengers on Earth, this time with the Time Stone as well. He destroys everyone with utter ease, except for Scarlet Witch (More on her later).
  • In this time, he shows what is easily Supersonic reactions at the slightest, as he creates a force-field that blocks machine-gun bullets from Bucky.
  • He can also rewind time with the Time Stone, obviously.
  • In the end of the movie, he gets all Six Stones, snaps his fingers and half the population of the universe is "erased from existence", their bodies being disintegrated.
Thanos is an absolute beast, and definitely the MCU's strongest villain with the sole exception being Dormammu.

Oh, and before I go, I guess I should mention his minions, the Children of Thanos. They suffer from some PIS and low-ends due to everyone fighting them, but that is easily explained away:

Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight fought Vision and Scarlet Witch, and gave them issue. The human heroes fighting them is PIS. Ebony Maw restrained a weakened Thor and Cull Obsidian fought Hulkbuster 2.0 and Bleeding Edge Iron Man, the human heroes fighting them is likewise PIS.

So, with that covered, let us talk about our heroes.

The Avengers (*Also Guardians)
So, before we proceed here, we need to address the giant, rainbow-colored elephant in the Room:

Some characters scale to the Infinity Stones.

Undoubtedly. They have to, by necessity. Or else the plot makes absolutely no sense. Period.

"Oh, but the Infinity Stones are the most powerful artifacts in the universe. How can Earth's heroes compare to them, that is clearly just-"

But nothing. Leave your preconceptions behind the door. Individually, the Stones aren't nearly as powerful as they are in the Comicbooks, and even collectively they have yet to show Cosmic levels of power.

With that said, let us go over each of the heroes that benefit from new stuff.

Iron Man:

• In this movie, Tony has built himself yet another suit, but this time it is special. His new suit is called the Bleeding Edge, and it is better than any of his previous suits in every way.
  • The Bleeding Edge Suit is developed out of highly-advanced nanotechnology, and it is capable of quickly surrounding Tony's body like second skin whenever he activates it. Is is light, and thin, and yet more durable than his Hulkbuster Suit from Age of Ultron.
  • Early in the movie, Tony catches up to Thanos' spaceship, which leaves Earth into low-orbit in seconds. A very impressive speed feat no matter how you look at it.
  • Also, now that we are talking about this, why isn't Tony's Reaction Speed scaled from his Flight? Seriously, Iron Man is CONSTANTLY reacting to stuff mid-flight, and having to dodge things that are standing in his way, and it is no different in this movie. Some of the fight scenes he's in would be impossible if there was really such a large divide between his Flight Speed and Reaction Speed.
  • Anyway, Tony fights Thanos alongside Strange, Spidey, and the Guardians of the Galaxy, and he is the one who's most on the offensive throughout the battle. He's repeatedly firing Thanos with missiles, lasers, energy blasts, bullets, etc. The aforementioned drop of blood? It's Tony that causes it.
  • At one point, Iron Man fires a bunch of missiles at Thanos, who uses the Stones to freeze them in mid-air, merge them together, and then fires all the energy back at Tony. Who tanks it.
  • Speaking of tanking, Iron Man is hit with one of the MHS+ meteors Thanos hurls at the heroes, and takes no noticeable damage. The impact was calculated at High 6-C.
  • Later, Thanos channels the power of the Power Stone and fires it as an Energy Wave into Iron Man, who creates a shield from his armour and blocks it head on. This is an unambiguous High 6-A durability feat for Tony's shields.
Doctor Strange:

• Doctor Strange is unarguably the most powerful hero of the movie, I feel. He's the only character who has a Solo fight with Thanos (Four Stone Thanos, even), and isn't just immediately and effortlessly stomped.
  • During their battle, the two are evenly matched in their magical / reality warping powers, transmuting each other's energy blasts, levitating stuff, using portals to their advantage, etc. Strange also shows the ability to create Astral Projection clones of himself, and uses it to better fight Thanos.
  • At one point in the fight Thanos summons a Black Hole / Vortex thing, and Strange simply transmutes it into a bunch of butterflies, which I thought was pretty amusing.
  • Doctor Strange can also use the Time Stone to look into possible future timelines. He searches across 16,000,000 futures, and only finds one where the Avengers are victorious.
  • Strange objectively scales to Thanos, I feel. Their fight is impossible otherwise. How did he get so strong, you ask? Hell if I know. Probably just trained extensively in the Mystic Arts since his movie, and has become far more powerful than before.
  • Also, "Human level durability" my ass. Strange survives a ton of impossible punishment in the movie, including some casual hits from Thanos.
Scarlet Witch:

• Wanda is another big contender for "Most powerful hero", and she too is demonstrably superhuman in her durability. She is hit physically by the same Children of Thanos that harmed The Vision, and is sent flying into a storefront with one blow. Still fine, despite it.
  • Wanda is capable of destroying an Infinity Stone. That is a huge plot point in the movie. Vision contains the Mind Stone in his forehead, and he constantly begs Wanda to destroy it should things go south. She straight up does at the end of the movie, too.
  • This is extremely notable, as it is explained that only an energy of a potency and frequency comparable to that of the Infinity Stone can destroy it. We have multiple examples of single Infinity Stones being capable of destroying the surface of worlds, so this speaks volumes of Wanda's power.
  • Still no convinced? Okay. Near the end of the movie, when Thanos is in possession of five Infinity Stones, Wanda blasts him with all of her might, and she actually manages to make Thanos stagger a bit despite him using the Stones' power to shield himself. She ultimately fails, but Thanos is visibly panting for a few seconds.
  • Again, the solution to this is obvious. Wanda has reached her full potential, which was alluded to in the previous movies as being the greatest amongst The Avengers'.
  • Oh, and Wanda overpowers and telekinetically lifts some metal structures that burst through Wakanda's Force-Field, the same Force-Field that tanked at spaceship crashing into it at re-entry speeds.
Spider-Man & Hulk

• Spider-Man is gifted the Iron Spider suit by Tony Stark, and with it his strength and durability are noticeably increased. He is capable of doing some chip-damage to a casual Thanos, and surviving his casual strikes, but that's about it.
  • His web is also noticeably stronger, as it can hold off Thanos for a few seconds before snapping.
  • In another scene, the Iron Spider's web is shown capable of saving Doctor Strange, who almost fell into the void of space when the wall of Thanos' spaceship was broken (Oh yeah, Strange survived in space for a few seconds).
  • This is notable because the spaceship was moving at Faster-than-Light speeds, flying from Earth to the planet of Titan in hours, and the webbing was still able to hold Doctor Strange. FTL KE is obviously impossible, but it is still insane.
  • Speed Wise? Spidey sorta reacts to Thanos' falling meteorites, avoiding any from hitting him (The scene suffers from that oh-so-common fiction syndrome of "Meteors seemingly moving slowly despite being on fire from re-entry", so I bet that once the scene's on HD one could compare Spider-Man's movement speed with that of the meteors and get some sick results. This also counts for Tony beforehand).
  • As for the Hulk? He doesn't exist. Thanos beats him up so hard he never returns throughout the rest of the movie. When Bruce Banner fight, it is through a new Hulkbuster Suit Tony built for him. It is unknown if this suit is made of the same nanotechnology that Stark and Peter suits are, but I don't think it is a stretch to assume it is more durable than Tony's suit
  • This is notable because Cull Obsidian gave serious trouble to Hulkbuster Banner, and even ripped off his arm. This obviously scales to base Thanos.
Thor:

• Finally, we have the man himself: Thor Odinson, God of Thunder.
  • Ooooh boy, where to begin.
  • First of all, Awakened Thor gets pummeled by a casual Thanos off-screen before the movie even begins.
  • He then survives Thanos' spaceship exploding with him inside, and then wanders unconscious in the void of space for hours to come (Asgardians can breathe in space confirmation)
  • After recovering from that and meeting the Guardians, Thor's immediate decision is to built himself a new hammer. He does so by heading towards Nidavellir, Realm of the Dwarves.
  • Nidavellir here is shown to be a giant space fortress built around a Neutron Star that is held by what is evidently a Dyson Sphere and surrounding Dyson Rings.
  • The dwarves there channeled the energy of the star to heat up their forges, and create the deadliest weapons in the universe. However, they are all but slaughtered since Thanos paid them a visit, with the only survivor being Peter Dinklage.
  • Thor helps reignite Nidavellir's Forge by manually pushing the orbital rings, which is absolutely insane given that these are made from materials that can withstand the heat of a neutron star.
  • Peter Dinklage is ready to forge Thor's new hammer, Stormbreaker, and is determined to make it his greatest creation: A weapon above Mjolnir, and strong enough to slay Thanos. It is even powerful enough to summon and control the Bifrost, despite Asgard having been destroyed.
  • Only one problem, though: Th Dyson Sphere's opening through which the full energy of the Neutron Star flows into the forge is broken, and so Peter Dinklage is unable to create Stormbreaker. And so Thor does the logical thing: Manually open the entrance and endure the full energies of the Neutron Star flowing through him.
  • He does, and endures it for two minutes straight with only superficial burns, though the pain makes him fall into near-unconsciousness.
  • Stormbreaker is complete, and once finished it immediately flies into the wounded Thor's hand, and he awakens, fully healed and more powerful than Ever.
  • Once on Earth, Thor single-handedly slaughters most of Thanos' armies, and destroys their spaceships, and also summons a storm with him.
  • And then, finally, the most absurd thing in the movie happens:
  • Thanos has obtained the Mind Stone from Vision, and now possesses all Six Infinity Stones. He is ready to wipe out all life from the universe, but before he can do so Thor steps in. Thanos then blasts Thor with an Energy Beam containing power from all Six Stones. In responde, Thor hurls Stormbreaker at it, which blocks the beam and plows through it without taking any damage. Finally, it sinks itself into Thanos' chest, nearly killing him.
  • Thor's new hammer is so strong it can endure a blast from Six Stone Thanos.
Honestly? I feel that the solution to this problem is simple. Thanos only had the Six Stones for a literal couple seconds, and had no experience in using their power. Throughout the movie he is clearly shown having to learn how to wield the Stones, and so that blast obviously cannot scale to the full power of the Six Stones, whatever it may be (We'll learn in Infinity War Part 2).

So that blast was likely "just" At least Planet level / At least Large Planet level.

Conclusion
So far, there is none. I wish to hear you guys' thoughts and opinions, and discuss what can best be done with the movie's feats and scaling.

Please be civil and patient.

I think heroes like Cap and Black Widow being able to damage Thano's sons are just feats of versatility rather than pis, I mean most of the times they were defeated with their own weapons or pure strategie as far as I can remember.

Not to mention that Vision was weakend thanks to the stone's malfunction or something like that.

I also love how everyone calls the asgardian gnome Peter Dinklage.

PIS or Versatility, they don't scale in the slightest.

Also, poor Vision. Went from being the strongest Avenger to one of the weaker.

From Spino not me.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan wrote: Since Matthew Schroeder is going to make an official thread today, here are all possible upgrades you guys and I brought up.

Thanos with complete gauntlet: universal range with lifewipe, and Universe level with complete gauntlet via scaling to the Aether. Stormbreaker Thor scales, as Stormbreaker tanked all 6 Infinity Stones and heavily wounded Thanos. Whether he has Existence Erasure or Death Manipulation needs to be discussed.

Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive: Small Building level (Nearly comparable to Captain America), City level with weapons (Harmed Vision)

Thor, Hulk and those who scale: Island level, maybe Large Planet level if my recalc of Hela crushing Mjolnir (using neutron star) gets accepted. Thor also tanks "the full force of a star".

Base Thanos and Iron Man Mark 50: At least Island level (At least Large Planet level if my calc is accepted), Thanos is stronger than Ebony Maw who restrained Thor and Doctor Strange, Iron Man is superior to Hulk and Thor for he actually made Thanos bleed slightly. Thanos should be higher with Incomplete Gauntlet.

Captain America and those who scale: Small Building level, maybe higher (Staggered Thanos)

Star-Lord and those who scale: Small Building level, maybe higher (Restrained Iron Spider, staggered Thanos)

Iron Spider: Small Building level, maybe higher (Staggered Thanos), with MHS+ reactions (dodged Thanos's meteor)

Ebony Maw: Island level, maybe Large Planet level if my calc is accepted with telekinesis (Restrained Thor and Doctor Strange)

Cull Obsidian: City level (Overpowered Hulkbuster)

Doctor Strange: Small Building level physically (Those needles could kill any human), Island level/Large Planet level with magic (Fought Thanos)

Scarlet Witch: Island level/Large Planet level (Forced Thanos to conjure a barrier, and made him struggle even behind the barrier)

Black Widow and those who scale: At least Wall level, possibly Room level (Black Widow and Hawkeye have fought Room-levelers in the past, Black Widow even defeated Corvus Glaive)

Tell me if I missed something.

Thats what I am saying, doesnt scale because they killed them with their own weapons or enviroments, like the Daughter who was dismembered by the giant wheel.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Also, poor Vision. Went from being the strongest Avenger to one of the weaker.
Please, only Strange, Spidey, Cap, Thor and Wanda did something in the movie.

Black Panther? Got destroyed by Thanos' army, Most of the Guardians fought Thanos only to get humillated or ****** up at the end, Banner/Hulk was the punching bag of the movie, Bucky was... just there, etc... even Groot helped more than most of the "Earth's mightiest heroes".

> In this scene, Thanos tears apart the surface of one of Saturn's moons and hurls its debris into the moon Titan at what calculated to be Massively Hypersonic+ speeds. With utter ease, too. The whole scene was calculated to be 5-A on the OBD.

I don't think Titan was the Titan in the Sol System. Iron Man doesn't recongize it and when they're flying away from Earth in the donut ship he tells Strange that they're billions of miles away which is already furthur than Saturn is from Earth. So to get a proper speed calc I think you'd need to find out how far Titan's moon is from the planet rather than relying on the IRL numbers.

Also didn't the OBD numbers assume he moved all of the surface? He didn't seem to do that

> He does, and endures it for two minutes straight with only superficial burns

He was gonna die from the wounds tbf. Which is why Eitri was so desperate to complete Stormbreaker.

He moved large portions at a time, which he is still continuing to do minutes later.

@Qaw

Being a moon of an alien planet will only make the calc better, really, as we will have to assume Earth-like parameters given the breathable atmosphere.

And Thanos did tear off the whole surface, we see the energy crossing the moon's surface and tearing off debris.

It makes sense to be Earth sized, the only concernable differences is due to Titan's core being shifted 6 degrees.

Anyway, Strange and Banner say he's the most powerful being in the universe, despite just having the power and space stones. Korath also calls Thanos with a stone the most powerful being in the Universe, but this was in GotG 1.

Also, Strange and ... idk, say each stone has full control of their respective aspects of reality.

Also

> When Bruce Banner fight, it is through a new Hulkbuster Suit Tony built for him. It is unknown if this suit is made of the same nanotechnology that Stark and Peter suits are, but I don't think it is a stretch to assume it is more durable than Tony's suit

Banner mentions to Cull that the Hulkbuster was the same suit that "Kicked the Hulk's ass". So it could just be the old AoU suit that they repaired. If not and it's a v2 then I can get island level; although Banner's ineptitude with piloting it severely impacted the suit's combat ability

Matthew Schroeder said:
Being a moon of an alien planet will only make the calc better, really, as we will have to assume Earth-like parameters given the breathable atmosphere.

And Thanos did tear off the whole surface, we see the energy crossing the moon's surface and tearing off debris.
Yeah I agree that it can make it better. I was just saying that using the IRL numbers is wrong.

As for the second did he? There seemed to be a lot of fragments left over when he was pulling it down. I agree that he blew up the surface but I dunno if he rained down the entire thing.

He didn't rain down the whole thing. But he blew up the whole surface.

The new Hulkbuster was even visually different from the old one. It's not the same suit, as that one was destroyed.

If he got hit with the full energy of the Neutron Star, his feat is Large Country level+, bordering on Continent level so much he'd be at that Tier if he were 1.3 times stronger.

Yeah it was a super casual surface wipe. While I'm unsure about the Hulkbuster v2, Cull did think that he could've helped Thanos out in the beginning when Hulk attacked which does lend more credence to him being island level. Plus the general fight with the Bleeding Edge armor.

Also I should probably link Dino's Hela calc

> So the priority here is to calc Thor's durability?

Didn't Matt already calc it to be Country+/Continental. EDIT: Yeah he did.

Matthew Schroeder said:
If he got hit with the full energy of the Neutron Star, his feat is Large Country level+, bordering on Continent level so much he'd be at that Tier if he were 1.3 times stronger.
Didn't Assa point out the issue with Thor's surface area exposed to the energy?

That 5-A / Low 4-C Thor calc is ludicrously exaggerated.

@Graf

Yeah but thinking about it it seemed to flow through Thor, and the dwarf said he'd be hit with the full force of the star, so eh.

Not that it matters. Thor scales to better shit.

Wasn't Madara's speed calced by finding his distance to the moon? Couldn't someone use similar math to find out the distance Titan's moon was from its planet?

No, that is wank. No offense but Spin exaggerates things. He's saying that Thanos is 3-A in Attack Potency and Thor scales in a post above.

Matthew Schroeder said:
No, that is wank. No offense but Spin exaggerates things. He's saying that Thanos is 3-A in Attack Potency and Thor scales in a post above.
So do you agree with Small Building physicals for Thanos's children with City level weapons?

They fused two of Thanos' comic slaves and the result was Cull. Idk if that's true, but i've heard it everywhere.

Anway, The Convergence happens every 5000 years, and it's because the barriers between realms becomes weak. Essentially, they all become 1 Universe, and Thanos cannot do this during the series. It's also doubtful that he would even have the knowledge to do that.

Edit: Actually it's the original name for Black Dwarf.

He's probably still to slow. At least combat wise. Although if he ends up being 5-A the gap would probably be to large too bridge.

It isn't agreed that thanos underestimated Thor. I mean he had a complete IG. Should've been untouchable. Now whether Thor can resist reality manipulation is the question.

Also Hela and Thor's stuff probably has to be done at the same time, considering she's couldn't take down surtur in time, but Hulk could stagger him, and that scales ƒöÖ to thanos and then back to Thor. Its quite amusing. Also moving the Dyson sphere rings, which he did before stormbreaker. Which may again rescale.

In regards to the moon, thanos was staggering the release of asteroids. Because he's would've killed himself and lose the time stone in the process.

I mention upgrading Iron Man's Reactions because frankly his Flying Speed and his Reaction Speed are all but equal. That would scale to a lot of people

Matt, you forgot Strange has weapon creation. He made a sword to strike Thanos with in the group fight.

Back