• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
We know how a goddamn tank engine could run you over. We know how a gigantic red dog could **** you up, but we have no idea what Barney would do in a combat scenario. His abilities are simply never expanded in that way.

We also know a T-Rex who causes earthquakes by stomping could **** you up. However, in both Clifford and Barney's cases, we don't know how they'd do it.

And before you say Clifford would fight like a dog, he does have average intelligence.

We're not really talking about how Barney himself would actually physically hit if he has bloodlusted, we obviously know how that works.

But we have no idea to what extent his powers can be used on other living beings or in a destructive manner because he just never does it, and it could easily lead to complete and total wank.

BigSmoke4269 said:
Thing is, we can just treat his abilities as though they are not combat applicable.
That was already considered, the problem is that the issue also applies to his physical capabilities.

We should honestly just have standards for how we treat abilities that haven't canonically been used on living things, Barney is far from the only character it would apply to

Spongebob also suffers that with some of his best abilities, now that you mention it, Andy, so I actually would like to support that, but I doubt something like that can be handled in this thread, another one should be made for that.

Dumb idea. That would prevent feats like punching through rocks or destroying a universe pointless because "they aren't organic beings".

Bobsican said:
BigSmoke4269 said:
Thing is, we can just treat his abilities as though they are not combat applicable.
That was already considered, the problem is that the issue also applies to his physical capabilities.
Not only is that just wrong, but Clifford would also have the same issue.

The issue with Barney's physical capabilities is that his AP seemingly needs a recalc, and that its from jumping on the ground, making it hard to imagine how it would actually be applied to an opponent.

Clifford's AP is from leaning on something, so we can reasonably see how he'd use that energy on an opponent. Barney jumps a few cm off the ground and lands, with the AP only really applying if he lands on someone.

But really, the main problem was that the abilities are combat inapplicable but were treated as combat applicable. That's the issue I came to Crabwhale about. Sometimes characters get matchbanned because people aren't mature enough to debate them responsibly, even if their issues could exist in other profiles too. Barney had a dozen threads pop up instantly filled with FRAs with obviously flawed reasoning.

The OP was counting them anyway, hell, some of those matches were on grace waiting to be added...

Hence "Sometimes characters get matchbanned because people aren't mature enough to debate them responsibly"

Ok, but Barney's profile is locked. Any admin who is asked to add these matches will likely refuse. Therefore, the matches are about as impactful as Fun and Games threads.

How many admins read the threads, then check the profiles and their scans to see if the reasoning's correct, before adding matches? I don't think almost any do.

But regardless, I can deal with them being match unbanned, I don't think I advocated to get them banned in the first place, I just wanted the profile to be very clear about the applicability of his abilities.

Agnaa said:
Sometimes characters get matchbanned because people aren't mature enough to debate them responsibly, even if their issues could exist in other profiles too. Barney had a dozen threads pop up instantly filled with FRAs with obviously flawed reasoning.
Basically this. I'm honestly surprised this thread went on as long as it did.

Back