• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Best Filler Ever (and some Superman appreciation)

Reppuzan

VS Battles
Retired
This is an oxymoron, I know, but hear me out.

Every once in a while, you run into filler that is actually fun to watch/read. It tugs at all the right heartstrings and makes you laugh and reflect on the characters involved.

Superman is an excellent example of a character who has great filler arcs. Known primarily as a paragon of good and a clobberer of villains, the (in my opinion) single most important aspect of his personality is his humanity. He's not just a God among men, a living supercomputer, and a fighter of evil-doers, he's easily one of the most humane and caring characters in all of fiction that still manages to be just like us despite being so different.

One occasion that particularly strikes me was when Supes helped coax a woman on the verge of committing suicide into his arms. He could have easily forced her to come down, but that wouldn't have made a difference in the long run. He instead stays with her, comforting her and trying to empathize with her until she's finally ready to step into his arms, but gave his word that he would leave the choice up to her rather than forcing her hand.

This is the type of stuff that makes me love Superman (though I'm also a Batfamily aficionado). He's not just a superhero, he's the kindest, most down-to-earth person you might ever meet and that's why I keep coming back to read him.

As a result, I was ecstatic to hear about Post-Crisis Superman's return. Granted, I did appreciate that New 52 was just as much a force of good as his predecessor, but the writers focused far more on Supes' exploits rather than his humanity. So while I was sad to see him fall, I remain excited about the Superman Rebirth series.

The most recent issue (at the time of this writing) just sold it to me. The art is gorgeous, the themes are poignant, but best of all, we get to see Supes as a family man (sorry if I spoiled this to you). He really tries his best to give his family one normal, stable day as Clark "Smith", and it's adorable to watch him interact with his son and wife. All in all, despite being completely, utterly plot-irrelevant filler, I couldn't help but enjoy it.

So, after reading this long-winded overly complex analysis, I would like to pose this one question to you.

What do you think was the best filler arc/episode/issue ever?

Back