• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shadowbokunohero

VS Battles
Content Moderator
Manga sale 2017

well, 2018 isn't out yet so let's discuss last years' sale and predict this years.

im happy to see My Hero on the top 5... looks like nothing is stopping One Piece.. lmfao

my predictions for this year.

I think both my hero and Tokyo ghoul will surpass Kingdom by a small margin due to season 3 and the return of Tokyo ghoul to anime form.

anime adaptions are created to endorse the manga and normally boost the sales depending on the quality of the adaption

its the best selling manga in history by a landlside and if it continues for another decade it will easily be the best selling Manga/Comic in history including western comics

season 3 of MHA will give it a boost but by how much idk

for reference the second season of Assassination classroom boosted manga sales to second place last year

But will it beat AOT? Due of AOT get 3rd seasons and doesn't change the fact the manga almost reach the climax/end i didn't see BnHA will surpass it,also the current BnHA selling rate is not too high due the manga still in cooldown.

Pfffft,FT....that one didn't deserve it.

probably not.

My hero is current for this year sitting at 500K+

while Attack on titan is 1. something million

You also have to factor the running time of the manga. It's been more than 20 years for OP and the more time, the more its total sales.

The least running time in the top 5 is of DB which holds the second position.

But OP still outsells every other manga even after 20+ years, that's a feat in itself.

One Piece's manga sales skyrocketed with the release of the film strong world

where it sold like 30 mil+ volumes in 1 year

with that being said japan makes up 70 percent of the sales.

Naruto and dragonball are far more popular in the rest of the world

Since the longer the manga runs the more money it makes, average sales per year is a good indicative of finding out the efficiency of making money. Basically it gives a rough idea of how the maga was doing per year when it was running. So I made a list of some names from that list (which also proves that I have nothing better to do):

1. DB = 22.73 million

2. OP = 20.95 million

3. Slam Dunk = 20.17 million

4. Naruto = 15.67 million

5. Conan = 8.33 million

6. Bleach = 8.00 million

Looking at this you can tell that OP is a monster. Not only did it maintain that kind of average, but it still hasn't lost its worth after all these years.

Slam Dunk is up there with the big 3 though.

a user that uses numbers and stats checks it into a list that might elevate once fictional work.. very pointless......

a man of culture I see

Something I find a little off about OP is that even if it is the king in manga sales for the last couple decades, it wasn't able to keep that position in anime, merch, etc.

Gundam ruled the last decade in that area. I believe it made close to 700 million overall last year.

Shadowbokunohero said:
One Piece's manga sales skyrocketed with the release of the film strong world
where it sold like 30 mil+ volumes in 1 year
That was also during the time Marineford was ongoing if i recall correctly, Japan's favourite arc

Neon genesis evangelion has made more money than the big three+dragonball combined

despite only have an anime with 25 episodes and 3 movies

to add insult to injury

Evangelion has made more money than Gundam...

another mech franchise that's been around 40 years+ and live off merchandising

Back