• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bleach Fade to Black Seireitei Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction
Fade to Black notoriously tells us that Seireitei can fit 200 ri within its radius (785.45 km). This thread serves to propose/discuss the validity or partial validity of the statement. I personally am not solidified completely in my opinion of the statement, but upon talking to people broadly about it and reading a lot of the Kubo interviews, I want to lay out the evidence and see what the majority think.

Interview Statements
Like your previous work, in this year’s movie we heard you were involved since the early stage.

Around March I think it all started when the director Abe and the movie staffs came to me. From that time director Abe wanted a “Back to the beginning” theme and wished the main characters Ichigo and Rukia to be the focus of the story. On top of that he wanted to portray something that linked to the first chapter of Bleach, the original appearance of Bleach… For me, I was very happy to know that the movie was heading that direction and said “That’s good, let’s go with that!” And from there on I joined in the production and put together the story and the setting after discussing it with everyone.

You were watching the voicing from the start to the very end?

This was my first time to witness the voicing from the start to finish.
I try not to speak much during the recording but when the director or the music director needed help I gave them advices. The brother’s voice actor, Kamiya-san had difficulty with the intonation so I did help him with that.

You are putting a lot of effort into it

I was also part of deciding the original character of the second movie, Kusaka Soujirou however with him there were too many cross-over with the original manga there were many restrictions. But compared to that in this year’s episode, because the story took place before Rukia met Renji the existence of the siblings gave me a stimulating inspiration. And because of that I wanted to know how these two would open up a story and I was at the voicing studio until they finished. I had fun watching them.

You went and watched the movie at the private screening but what sort of feelings do you have for that?

I had fun (laughs) because it is my work it feels completed but on the other hands it means that you can’t create something stronger than that. In some bits while I was drawing it made me think “Would this sort of situation really happen?” but even so I was the one who thought and came up with the plot so even if I am surprised it does not feel fresh. Even if the author like me is involved in the production the drawings are done by other people, the voicings are done by the seiyuus, so when the movie is completed I always savour the feeling of surprise. They move like this, their voices are like this, with emotional excitement I always say my feed backs and I am always looking forward to that.

Finally at last, got any message to the fans?

In this year’s movie the theme of “Back to the beginning” is shown in the movie. Compared to the other movies I believe this one is the one which has the closest link to the original work, and giving a link to the first chapter was not seen in the anime or the original manga and I think that is something very special. I think a fan that loves the original manga would love the work. I think I made a movie where even if you touched Bleach first by watching this movie you would end up wanting to read the original manga. Please enjoy it!

Translation Source: https://bleachness.livejournal.com/219899.html
Book Source: https://www.animebooks.com/blfatoblmogu.html

Interpretation of the Interview
I highlighted what I believe to be the most pertinent interview questions and answers in determining if we can use the Fade to Black Seireitei statement or even treat it with some validity. I think the first thing that you'll notice (at least that I noticed) was how much Kubo sings the praises of this movie. He goes out of his way to say FtB is the closest to his manga work in terms of conveying his idea of Bleach. Which comes to little or no surprise when you learn how heavily involved in the movie Kubo was. He claims to have been deeply involved from the start, he even listened to the entire voice recording sessions start to finish, and he created the plot and setting of this movie. This paints a rather obvious picture of Kubo's involvement and endorsement of FtB. He has designed the setting (Seireitei), listened to all the voice recordings start to finish (which would include the Seireitei size statement), and after that he states that this movie is the closest to his manga's vision over any other movie.

To me this is a rather compelling set of evidence to indicate that the Seireitei statement in this movie is legit. Kubo said he designed it, he said he heard the statement, and he gave the movie the manga quality stamp of approval. The only contention that is understandable is that the movie is a non-canon movie, it has no place to even fit within the main continuity's timeline. Hence, why I want the thoughts of the community regarding use of this statement. Should the statement be accepted flat out with the evidence from the interview, should the statement be only accepted as a likely/possibly partial rating, or should it not be accepted at all?

Conclusion
So, that about concludes all the evidence regarding the FtB Seireitei size statement, I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks.

Agree: @Deceived @TheDarkOne @YukaSama4 @Kachon123 @Ovy7 @Blallooo @Naeblis495 @zylieo @LordTracer @Hellscream @Mazdoesstuff @KingTempest @Mephistus @Shadyboi0 @Excel616 @KLOL506 @CloverDragon03 @Dereck03 @SilentBob34 @IMadeThisOn8-1-2017 @Xulrev @Deadguy @DemonGodMitchAubin @Sigurd_Snake_in_The_Eye
Neutral: @LordGriffin1000 @Sasukesolos
Disagree: @Damage3245 @theultimate5105
Alex: @AlexSoloVaAlFuturo @Nierre @Arcker123 @DarkDragonMedeus

Last edited:
forehead.gif

It said 1 third of the Sereiteis grounds which I believe likely refers to it being 1/3rd of the area
It also said over 1/3rd which makes it unquantifiably above 1/3rd of it

You know ri is a length unit right...

Area is length squared...

It cannot be an area statement...
Except Sereiteis Grounds implies area and since it says east-west direction that means that the north-south direction is also being taken into account

Also read the part which I added in around the time you responded

It also said over 1/3rd which makes it unquantifiably above 1/3rd of it
Over as in over top of... the reishi leak is over top of Seireitei

Except Sereiteis Grounds implies area and since it says east-west direction that means that the north-south direction is also being taken into account

Also read the part which I added in around the time you responded
Saying east-west does not imply north-south is being considered

and regardless 200 ri is a length statement

nothing implies area whatsoever

Fair

Kinda does when they say it stretches 200 ri in one direction why would they not just say it stretches 200 ri in general unless there was another dimension to it
Kinda doesn't, if I say you're 6 feet tall that does not imply anything about how wide you are, you could be super fat or super skinny or fit.

You can put me down as disagree for this. Gave my opinion in the other thread already and before on this topic I believe.

You can put me down as disagree for this. Gave my opinion in the other thread already and before on this topic I believe.
Any comments on the interview statements, or just a strict "if it's not in the main continuity/manga it isn't canon"?

a doubt I have, it is quoted spiritual miles and not "ri"
It's a funky English translation, the manga did the same thing.

Any comments on the interview statements, or just a strict "if it's not in the main continuity/manga it isn't canon"?
No specific thoughts on the interview statements other than if Kubo intended for that to be the size of Seireitei, I think that there was nothing stopping him from using said figures in the manga itself and yet he did not. Personally I believe that Kubo soft-retconned the Seireitei's size as the manga went on, but I've been down that topic too many times before.

I think that there was nothing stopping him from using said figures in the manga itself and yet he did not
Ehhhhh you can say that same thing about Yoruichi's statement, "why not just say a direct distance value", Kubo doesn't really work like that. He's not one to spell it out so simply as much as we'd all like that.

Personally I believe that Kubo soft-retconned the Seireitei's size as the manga went on, but I've been down that topic too many times before.
Not to come off condescending but this really amounts to headcanon, I'd disagree here as in the TYBW Kubo has Yhwach transport an entire country overtop Seireitei, but to each their own so fair enough.

Not to come off condescending but this really amounts to headcanon, I'd disagree here as in the TYBW Kubo has Yhwach transport an entire country overtop Seireitei, but to each their own so fair enough.
That's fair but that's not a country with a defined size, so far as I'm aware.

It's a funky English translation, the manga did the same thing.
official translation quotes ri instead of spiritual mile? Do you have print?

As for covering 200 ri, for me it makes more feel area, since it's a leak

I think that there was nothing stopping him from using said figures in the manga itself and yet he did not
That really isn't a counter to anything being proposed in the OP, the lack of a statement in the manga doesn't mean we shouldn't assume a statement in a movie isn't canon to the manga. If an author has heavily involved themselves in the scripting of the setting and dialogue for the movie it would be redundant to re-state an already previous statement in the manga if they've already stated such in the movie they are heavily apart of.

Basically the lack of the statement in the manga isn't a valid contention against the statement being canon. Shit which is stated in the databooks but never stated in the manga is considered canon, why wouldn't this be the same/similar case?

Personally I believe that Kubo soft-retconned the Seireitei's size as the manga went on
Complete headcanon.

Ehhhhh you can say that same thing about Yoruichi's statement, "why not just say a direct distance value", Kubo doesn't really work like that. He's not one to spell it out so simply as much as we'd all like that.
Kubo trying to not be vague with descriptions and sizes (He can't use normal unites of measure)

Btw I agree

No specific thoughts on the interview statements other than if Kubo intended for that to be the size of Seireitei, I think that there was nothing stopping him from using said figures in the manga itself and yet he did not. Personally I believe that Kubo soft-retconned the Seireitei's size as the manga went on, but I've been down that topic too many times before.
Of course he changed, there is even a pixel of the sereitei with only 1 km..

only that there is no drawing that shows all of the sereitei.

If you take the scene from the current anime, of yamma looking over his building at the horizon, in calculations, that part alone would be almost 100km

statement is worth more

official translation quotes ri instead of spiritual mile? Do you have print?

As for covering 200 ri, for me it makes more feel area, since it's a leak
Refer to my conversation with ultimate to learn why length measurements are not the same as length squared aka area measurements

Kinda doesn't, if I say you're 6 feet tall that does not imply anything about how wide you are, you could be super fat or super skinny or fit.
Except if I say something is 6 feet in height it implies that it has other dimensions (the width doesn’t matter here only that it exists so that it isn’t length based)

Complete headcanon.
No kidding; that's why I said "Personally I believe" instead of "Kubo definitely retconned the Seireitei's size." Yes, I'm aware that isn't what is currently accepted on the wiki. No, it being "complete headcanon" doesn't mean it isn't based on evidence.

But as I said, been into that topic too many times. Not going to derail this thread going into it.

I’ll give an agree to this. Assuming that the size isn’t contradicted, Kubo’s involvement makes this seem very solid.

Except if I say something is 6 feet in height it implies that it has other dimensions (the width doesn’t matter here only that it exists so that it isn’t length based)
Yes but it doesn't imply anything about the other dimensions, which is my point.

would you show me that spiritual mile = ri?
I just want to understand this
Yeah if you listen to the japanese dub when they translate it as "spirit miles" they say "ri".

Yeah, but names like that aren't very strict... Wasn't Seireitei called a town at one point?
A country sized town :cool: but yeah I get your point, I just disagree it's been narratively shown to be "small" instead of "big".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back