• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Book recommendations?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
This is a thread for recommending enjoyable books to read.

I have read lots of books over the years, so I won't name them all here.

However, most recently, I have read The Long Earth series, by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett; 2 Years, 8 Months, and 28 Nights, by Salman Rushdie; and am currently reading the Interworld trilogy, by Neil Gaiman.

Recently, I read a book titled "Prisoner of Night and Fog" by Anne Blankman, and really enjoyed it.

The plot of the book is set around a woman named Gretchen Mūller in 1930s Munic (A city in Germany), who happens to be Adolf Hitler's honorary niece, basically adopted by him after her father gave his life to protect Hitler.

However, one day, she meets a Jewish reporter named Daniel Cohen, who reveals that her father hadn't saved Hitler's life that day, but that he had been murdered by one of his comrades.

Faced with the realization that most of her life was based around a lie, and that she finds herself falling for Daniel, Gretchen must uncover the truth behind her father's death and decide between following what she's always known and following her own heart.

I've always been a fan of light-hearted crime dramas, so I might be biased, but I found the Murder She Wrote series to be pretty enjoyable as a light read (they're around 200-300+ pages per book). It's based on the TV Series and follows Jessica Fletcher (played by Angela Lansbury) as she tours the world as part of her authorial career, only to act as an amateur sleuth as murders seem to pop up wherever she goes.

Another series I liked was also based on a TV Series. The Nikki Heat novels are based on ABC's Castle and follows Nikki Heat as she's faces some of the most crafty and strange killers in New York City's history while trying to get to the root of her mother's murder. Meanwhile, her life is turned upside down as the charming investigative journalist Jameson Rook enters her life and begins joining in her investigations as material to write his articles.

There are a few sex scenes, so I would stay away if you don't like that kind of thing (there's a reason why I refuse to pick up Fifty Shades of Grey).

The Halo novels were also surprisingly good. My personal favorite was Halo: Fall of Reach, which details the rise of Master Chief up to the events of the first Halo game. It's written in the third-person, so you can get multiple perspectives, and it really serves to flesh out the Chief's backstory and give him more personality by showing how he met, created, and interacts with Blue Team (which is why I love the Halo Legends episode, "The Package" so much). It can get really technical at times, going into the nitty gritty on how their weapons work and how they move, but I feel that it makes the experience more visceral as a result.

Do you know of any good science fiction and fantasy novels that are not depressing? Preferably ones that are not completely separated from reality.

Well, Rick Riordan novels tend to be the most popular "Modern Fantasy" novel and then tend to be pretty humorous most of the time, but I don't know if that's up your alley or if you've read them or not.

Artemis Fowl was great too (I read a lot of Children's series since I like the fantasy) The eponymous character is an insufferable child prodigy like Damian Wayne who peers into the supernatural criminal world in order to try and find his presumed-deceased father, whom he believes to be alive.

I also enjoyed David Dalgish's Shadowdance series, which is relatively grounded in reality compared to most (but there is a significant magical aspect). The main character is Aaron Felhorn, a child groomed to be the heir of his father's vast criminal empire. However, several occurrences in Aaron's life make him question his line of work and ultimately the path paved for him. Unfortunately, this is rather pessimistic and cynical due to the darkness surrounding it, so it might not be what you want.

I really enjoyed The Forever War by Joe Haldeman, and if you enjoy regular fantasy A Song of Ice and Fire shouldn't be ignored (even if you've seen the show the books cover many more stories in more detail)

Okay. Thanks for the recommendations.

Stories that help me think of other things than the hellhole of a world that we have created.

Everyday fantasy like Harry Potter is fine, but genuinely funny comedies are also good.

I really like much of the Discworld series, but Terry Pratchett is dead now.

Reasonably optimistic science-fiction should also be fine, as long as it isn't stupid.

How about something like Angels & Demons?

If you've read that, try out Krishna Key, maybe?

Both are quite similar and amazing in their own rights, provided you know the lore in them.

39 Clues{Rick Riordan and other authors} would be another series, but it targets a younger audience(A VERY young audience), so not sure if you'll like it.

Other recommendations would be Sherlock Holmes, Any Hercules Poirot Book {Agatha Christie}, The Alchemist{Paulo Coelho}, Trash(You probably wont like it} and Perry Mason{Must read}.

For Comedy, you could try out something written by P.G. Wodehouse? Not many get the humour in those books though.

Temeraire is also a nice fantasy series if you like dragons and stuff like that, but in my opinion after the 3rd or the 4th book it becomes a bit too much (personally stopped at 4 but there are 8 or 9 books)

What about good modern books? Preferably ones available in audio form, so I can listen to them while exercising.

Hmm, i don't know, i usually read them but IIRC Audible.com has a 30 days free trial so you can check there if you find anything that you may enjoy.

I am an Audible member. I am looking for recommendations.

The I Am Number Four series, also known as the Lorien Legacies series. It's a pretty good book series with great lore and suspense. In fact, I'm going to create a thread to see if there's any other readers who can help me make profiles. I think I'm behind on books.

Back