• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Changing SBA starting distance

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
Recently it dawned on me. The SBA range of 4 kilometers is asinine. It doesn't matter the range of the two opponents, no fight starts that far. You don't know who you're fighting. Can you see 20 city blocks from your house, for example? Starting distance should be 20 feet from each other.

I never understood the idea of being 4km away. Like it truly makes no sense to me. Way too far for a starting distance.

The characters start as far away from each other as the highest range of the fighters is, but a maximum of 4 kilometers. For example, if one character has a range of 10 meter and the other has a range of 20 meter they start 20 meter apart. However if the range of one character is 10 meter and the range of the other is 5 kilometer, they start only 4 kilometer apart. If extreme advantages are generated via this distance to one side, a balanced alternative should be discussed in the thread.

I agree with this. And 20 ft is the length of around five cars, which is a decent range, I suppose.

Yeah 4km is only if one character has more range than that if not its the highest range that either character has I don't see the issue with it

Inb4 this thread is redundant since one was made last month...

Just to be clear, I don't disagree with the changes. But your implying that SBA makes both fighters start 4KM away from each other no matter what.

I fact I agree with changing it, because I don't understand why we give an advantage to the opponent with the higher range.

TheRustyOne said:
I fact I agree with changing it, because I don't understand why we give an advantage to the opponent with the higher range.
Because it's an advantage they do have, and it's fair to include it.

I do agree that 4 km is too much, but 6 m is too little.

It says that if the advantage given to one character is too great that you can ya know change the range

Worth noting is that alot of characters with over 4km range have that via some attacks not all and they may not start with them in character

I do agree that 4km is a bit too much but 20ft is also a bit too little. I'd say that something like between 20m and 50m is better.

20ft is around 6/7m, right? Why doesn't America want to use the metric system?

4km is meant to give an advantage to guys who can abuse range and not make them too vulnerable if their opp enjoys cqc. The rule is written as if an unfair advantage is generated due to this you can change it to whatever you want.

Seriously, any range we use in SBA will be arbitrary. No need to change.

I'd love to see someone who just spams attacks into the wind without any regard to where they're aiming.

I don't know, sniper characters or gigantic character or teleporters and stuff exist, and some fights in a few fictions do occur at ridiculous ranges.

Personally, I'd just put more incentive on people to specify.

Wokistan said:
I don't know, sniper characters or gigantic character or teleporters and stuff exist, and some fights in a few fictions do occur at ridiculous ranges.

Yeah. I'm fine with that.

Wokistan said:

That's fine, too. But we still need to decide a standard distance.

I always found 4 km to be too large a distance to start a fight. But 20 feet is too close.

@Kal can you please reduce that image size?

I really think we shouldn't have a stanard distance. Any "standard distance" would be inapprpriate so often that we may have a situation like with Speed Equal where more people DON'T follow SBA, which negates the point of STANDARD battle assumption

30 meters. 89 meters. You could make literally a thousand arguements for any one number or unit of measurement. I agree with PaChi, it's utterly arbitrary, and should be decided by the OP of a Vs Thread.

I don't understand the purpose of this CRT.

Starting distance: The characters start as far away from each other as the highest range of the fighters is, but a maximum of 4 kilometers. For example, if one character has a range of 10 meter and the other has a range of 20 meter they start 20 meter apart. However if the range of one character is 10 meter and the range of the other is 5 kilometer, they start only 4 kilometer apart. If extreme advantages are generated via this distance to one side, a balanced alternative should be discussed in the thread.

" if one character has a range of 10 meter and the other has a range of 20 meter they start 20 meter apart. "

Wouldn't that give an unfair advantage to the latter? Because while the former character will have to close the gap to attack, the latter can just abuse the range.

I mean, an advantage is an advantage. It's not like people call "unfair" when someone has mindhax and the other doesn't resist it

Back