• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Characters on this site should absolutely have a section detailing how they fight In-character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayewale

He/Him
This seems so obvious.

In 99% of threads made with characters fighting In-character, there's bound to be people asking 'What does the character start with/how do they fight' over and over. This is because a character's fighting style and strategy and well, character, is extremely important in an In-IC fight.

Take Ben 10(restricted to 7-B and below aliens) vs Spiderman for example. The main reason for Ben losing this fight was that despite Ghostfreak being an easy win, he doesn't use it in-character due to fear/bad experiences/general distaste. However, if you didn't watch Ben 10, you wouldn't know this, and would assume the best out of the foghter. Worse still, people could agree with that and suddenly you have a thread with very skewed results.

And this is a pretty simple example concerning one thing. What if you start doing characters with several dozens of abilities, like Bowser or Sora? Situations where, unless you know how the character fights, the fight is extremely hard to do?

Think of it this way. If I didn't know how Naruto fights-which the average person wouldn't-I could either assume he uses his most powerful abilities all the time or that he only uses Chakra techniques as a last resort. Seeing as fighters have no documented 'General Fighting Tactics/Style', both are pretty much correct until scans come in.

As for a fix? Well, it'd be extremely hard to fix without a massive content revision across most pages on this wiki, which is...hard to do, as an understatement. You could, as an option, have:

-A "rarity" part of every technique/ability a character has on their page. The rarity tidbit would state how often a fighter uses it and if their are any special conditions about it (i.e. the fighter uses it only when near death, they will always use it against ranged opponents, etc). -An entire new section for characters detailing their general fighting style, like how often they use what/which techniques.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

I've never, ever seen any page with a 'Standard Tactics' section. At the very least, nearly every popular combatant on this site doesn't have said section.

We recently added it as a suggestion, but it is not required for reasons that I think are mentioned in the page that I linked to.

Basically, most characters do not use a consistent easily definable attack pattern, and we have too many profile pages to realistically be able to perform a site-wide revision, so any such changes must be gradual and organic.

I agree that most characters lack an attack pattern, however I still think that at least denoting how many/how often they use x move would be important towards improving versus debates site-wide

Well, I do not disagree, but we cannot force this change. It has to be applied gradually.

The only popular combatant in that listis Spongebob and very arguably Mysterio.

What about Sora, Dante, Bill Cipher, Alien X, most Marvel and DC characters?

I mean, its not like an obligatory thing. The standard format page clearly states that its optional

And there is a lot more characters with Standard Tactics, Im just too lazy to link every single one of them

Well, there are not a lot of them yet, but as I mentioned, we cannot force this change.

Since the question has been answered, we should close this thread.

Ayewale said:
The only popular combatant in that listis Spongebob and very arguably Mysterio.

What about Sora, Dante, Bill Cipher, Alien X, most Marvel and DC characters?
Lol at Doffy not being popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back