• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Common Calc Concern: Evading the punches of other characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMUA

He/Him
VS Battles
Calculation Group
I've started to see this in extreme commonality, and the more I see it the more sure we should (near) entirely ban the practice

The concept is simple enough: In Manga, Manhwa and sometimes Anime, you'll have a character see an attack coming at them from an extreme proximity, before they seem to dodge out of the way last second. The problem is when it turns into a calculated feat.

Very frequently, this sort of thing will be pulled out in high tension fights where two opponents are evenly matched, but according to the calculation, one character is capable of dodging the other's attacks from centimeters away from their face. While I don't know the context behind a lot of the examples I've gotten recently, I can pull out a few where I do know. Aaron vs Yu from the Boxer, Tanjiro vs the mud guy in Demon Slayer, and to make it abide by the rule of three, here's a recent one where I don't need outside context to realize some issues.

In Aaron vs Yu, while Yu does effectively dodge all of Aaron's attacks, it's certainly not done as a casual thing due to Yu being able to run circles around Aaron. In the immediate leadup to the "feat", Yu has to dodge a flurry of blows from Aaron before he eventually exploits a wiff to counterattack to Aaron's face, and when that's no sold, Yu's expression turns to a bit of shock as he has to essentially fling himself back to avoid Aaron countering in turn, to which only then the "feat" happens, emphasizing the moment of panic as he realized the sheer gap in their levels of strength. Heck, later in that very fight is a very similar scene where Yu dodges backwards at approximately the same speed the punch comes at him, which seems a bit strange if he can just get out of the way like what the calc insinuates.

Tanjiro vs the mud guy is a similar deal, in the very moments before the feat, he's pressured into dodging a sudden attack and remarks that he missed (their head, since they do nick the arm but demons can easily regenerate that) due to the speed of their opponent, which spiraled into their proximity in the calculation to emphasize that things were quickly turning against Tanjiro's favor.

The final case takes a different direction, as after he blocks the attack, the fist is very visibly further away from his face than it was presented the exact moment prior. The calculation states that the distance is 3 millimeters, which is far less than the width of both of someone's arms laid over eachother as seen with his block.

Also of note is that all of these calculations abuse something already banned in our Calc Stacking page, called Hiding Calculations. Allow me to quote:
Hiding calculations is the practice of trying to avoid calculating a feat in order to be able to use the result in another calculation. In other words it is the practice of trying to fool people into not noticing that calc stacking is being used.

This usually occurs if a feat is quantified per a rule of thumb instead of precisely calculated. A typical example would be a character dodging a bullet from a short distance being ranked as "Supersonic" and then using that ranking to calculate the speed of another character, whose speed one can compare to the former in some feat.

While it is acceptable to rank a character by such a self-evident feat without a calculation, one should keep in mind that the unwritten calculation is only skipped due to being trivial, but is still the justification for the ranking. Hence calc stacking will still be an issue for such feats.
Aaron vs Yu uses the speed of sound because they can create sonic booms with their punches, as does the Demon Slayer calc, and Wangguk Han's attack is given a 34.3 speed because characters in the verse at large are FTE, supposedly.

So, to summarize what I'm proposing:

On the projectile dodging feats, or some similar page, there should be a note that it is banned to calculate the evasion of attacks between two evenly matched characters, as they are inherently contradictory to the fight surrounding it if taken at face value, and are just a trope used to exaggerate the extreme narrowness by which characters dodge attacks. It is fine if one character is clearly far superior to another and expressly allows an attack to get that close to their face before actually evading due to the sheer gap between them, or perhaps for static projectiles/techniques that they clearly outspeed such as a bullet. Otherwise, my support for this measure is the extreme prevalence of violating the rules on our Calc Stacking page, and thus it would be better to nip the potential for that in the future in the bud.

That's all.

Last edited:
Funny because I just evaluated two calcs like this minutes ago (one, because the other had missing imgur links)

I've started to see this in extreme commonality, and the more I see it the more sure we should (near) entirely ban the practice
Also this, I've seen too much calcs like this. Generally people try to wank (an honest description of what's happening) giving characters sub-sonic or even peak human speeds in order to find an extremely inconsistent values, and it results in inconsistencies alongside the scaling.

Character A dodged Character B punch at close range.

Character B is considered to be Peak Human on the calculation.

Character A ends up being bazillion times faster than Character B.

Character A and B both have the same speed on their profiles, or scale to each other, or the "Peak Human" speed given to that character is contradicted by his actual speed, the one on his profile.

I mean, it's fine if A in this case is canonically massively faster than B, or if the speed in question is the character actual speed and not something made up like "he's actually faster than this but I'm using a low end" aka hiding calculations.

The concept is simple enough: In Manga, Manhwa and sometimes Anime, you'll have a character see an attack coming at them from an extreme proximity, before they seem to dodge out of the way last second. The problem is when it turns into a calculated feat.

Very frequently, this sort of thing will be pulled out in high tension fights where two opponents are evenly matched, but according to the calculation, one character is capable of dodging the other's attacks from centimeters away from their face. While I don't know the context behind a lot of the examples I've gotten recently, I can pull out a few where I do know. Aaron vs Yu from the Boxer, Tanjiro vs the mud guy in Demon Slayer, and to make it abide by the rule of three, here's a recent one where I don't need outside context to realize some issues.

In Aaron vs Yu, while Yu does effectively dodge all of Aaron's attacks, it's certainly not done as a casual thing due to Yu being able to run circles around Aaron. In the immediate leadup to the "feat", Yu has to dodge a flurry of blows from Aaron before he eventually exploits a wiff to counterattack to Aaron's face, and when that's no sold, Yu's expression turns to a bit of shock as he has to essentially fling himself back to avoid Aaron countering in turn, to which only then the "feat" happens, emphasizing the moment of panic as he realized the sheer gap in their levels of strength. Heck, later in that very fight is a very similar scene where Yu dodges backwards at approximately the same speed the punch comes at him, which seems a bit strange if he can just get out of the way like what the calc insinuates.

Tanjiro vs the mud guy is a similar deal, in the very moments before the feat, he's pressured into dodging a sudden attack and remarks that he missed (their head, since they do nick the arm but demons can easily regenerate that) due to the speed of their opponent, which spiraled into their proximity in the calculation to emphasize that things were quickly turning against Tanjiro's favor.

The final case takes a different direction, as after he blocks the attack, the fist is very visibly further away from his face than it was presented the exact moment prior. The calculation states that the distance is 3 millimeters, which is far less than the width of both of someone's arms laid over eachother as seen with his block.

Also of note is that all of these calculations abuse something already banned in our Calc Stacking page, called Hiding Calculations. Allow me to quote:

Aaron vs Yu uses the speed of sound because they can create sonic booms with their punches, as does the Demon Slayer calc, and Wangguk Han's attack is given a 34.3 speed because characters in the verse at large are FTE, supposedly.

On the projectile dodging feats, or some similar page, there should be a note that it is banned to calculate the evasion of attacks between two evenly matched characters, as they are inherently contradictory to the fight surrounding it if taken at face value, and are just a trope used to exaggerate the extreme narrowness by which characters dodge attacks. It is fine if one character is clearly far superior to another and expressly allows an attack to get that close to their face before actually evading due to the sheer gap between them, or perhaps for static projectiles/techniques that they clearly outspeed such as a bullet. Otherwise, my support for this measure is the extreme prevalence of violating the rules on our Calc Stacking page, and thus it would be better to nip the potential for that in the future in the bud.

That's all.
I agree with this

On the projectile dodging feats, or some similar page, there should be a note that it is banned to calculate the evasion of attacks between two evenly matched characters, as they are inherently contradictory to the fight surrounding it if taken at face value, and are just a trope used to exaggerate the extreme narrowness by which characters dodge attacks. It is fine if one character is clearly far superior to another and expressly allows an attack to get that close to their face before actually evading due to the sheer gap between them, or perhaps for static projectiles/techniques that they clearly outspeed such as a bullet.
I disagree with the "expressly" bit, I think if a character that is wildly superior to another pulls that kinda stuff the feat is kind of obviously meant to showcase his superior speed. I agree with basically everything else, however
Otherwise, my support for this measure is the extreme prevalence of violating the rules on our Calc Stacking page, and thus it would be better to nip the potential for that in the future in the bud.
I think this isn't really the same issue, just an adjacent one, and it can be used just by using a more reasonable assumption like a pro athlete's punching speed. Obviously that can still run into the other problem though. Regardless I am overall in agreement.

We need standards for this

If you can make sonic booms with your punches, you should be able to be calced with mach 1 speeds

"Hiding Calculations" is real, but this specific example was made by somebody who just couldn't cope with using above human speeds for somebody who dodges lasers

I am of the belief that when it comes to evading punches, we must have the following criteria

1. Find where the maximum speed is reached by the arm, and if said position is reached by the arm when the dodging starts

2. Find out if there is a reliable speed value in the source or from real life to use from.

Otherwise, just scale the dodging dude to the attacking dude.

That's all.
I'm personally alright with this.

If you can make sonic booms with your punches, you should be able to be calced with mach 1 speeds
I do remember the Witcher having a calc somewhat like this where it calculated the cone generated from someone moving supersonic to get a specific result, and that would be fine if you've got everything in place

Obviously not to then turn around and use in another calculation, but is how it goes

I do remember the Witcher having a calc somewhat like this where it calculated the cone generated from someone moving supersonic to get a specific result, and that would be fine if you've got everything in place

Obviously not to then turn around and use in another calculation, but is how it goes
If somebody could find that calc I would appreciate it

But regardless making a sonic boom would be Mach 1 at the lowest, just like somebody igniting the air via speed would be Mach 2 or a meteor falling

We got rid of it in favor of better speed feats.

There were similar feats like this, but DT and Bambu had doubts about such feats, stating that they could just as well be merely shockwaves instead of actual Mach Cones.

I am of the belief that when it comes to evading punches, we must have the following criteria

1. Find where the maximum speed is reached by the arm, and if said position is reached by the arm when the dodging starts

2. Find out if there is a reliable speed value in the source or from real life to use from.

Otherwise, just scale the dodging dude to the attacking dude.
I'd be fine with this stuff being a factor but the main focus is that it shouldn't be used if it's directly inconsistent with the fight itself due to them being evenly matched, and that's why scaling them to the attacker normally should take precedence

"Hiding Calculations" is real, but this specific example was made by somebody who just couldn't cope with using above human speeds for somebody who dodges lasers
I severely disagree

Except that in the Aaron vs. Yu calc, Aaron wasn't creating sonic booms, he was just displacing a ton of air with his punches.

People try to pass any stock impact-circle effect as a sonic boom kinda often, which can hugely inflate calcs.

Except that in the Aaron vs. Yu calc, Aaron wasn't creating sonic booms, he was just displacing a ton of air with his punches.

People try to pass any stock impact-circle effect as a sonic boom kinda often, which can hugely inflate calcs.
The main reason I brought up the examples was demonstrating the flaws of the general ideology more than any specific feat or verse, so I don't want to linger on this for too long

But yes, on top of hiding calculations being a thing there is a tendency to just apply too high of a number outright (insert Baki being randomly scaled to a railgun for Yujiro blocking a punch from him, I call that feat out repeatedly until I'm unironically told to kill myself)

I strongly agree with this, I had to face a similar case where the character Gran Torino saves Deku and Bakugo from Shigaraki's hand, which was inches away from touching these two.

The problem is, Shigaraki is far superior in every way to Gran Torino, and there's no proof the former was holding back, so Gran Torino being hundreds of times faster than Shigaraki's arm makes no sense (plus it also makes GT hundreds of times faster than 45% Deku when the latter has explicitly outpace him).

I think the main issues are
  1. We assume a speed for the character that is attacking that doesn't represent his true speed; using peak human or sub-sonic speeds for a Massively Hypersonic+ character. Using the MHS+ speed makes it calc stacking and using something below is hiding calculation.
  2. Scaling inconsistencies, the calc makes one character far faster than the other, despite them being evenly matched when fighting.
I suggest the following: These kind of feats are only allowed when 1. There is a stated speed for the character during the feat, or during the usage of a technique (Character uses a transformation that is said to move at lightspeed) and 2. It shouldn't lead to inconsistencies, the character who is dodging should be faster than the other character and the profiles should reflect this.

I'm sorry but before anything happens, do majority of people agree with what King tempest said because I disagree with it but I may have read it wrong, I just would rather not have it go through

Explain why you disagree and what was his comment
If a character (A) breaks the sound barrier with a punch or kick and then 100 chapters later another character (B) dodges their punch because there stronger and faster why would we use 343 to calc the speed of character (B) dodging the punch, I may have misunderstood what he was saying though but I just don't think that if you break the sound barrier once your not gonna break it every time you punch

The Yu vs Aaron thing is the same, Aaron previously "broke the sound barrier' by creating vibrations in air

If a character (A) breaks the sound barrier with a punch or kick and then 100 chapters later another character (B) dodges their punch because there stronger and faster why would we use 343 to calc the speed of character (B) dodging the punch, I may have misunderstood what he was saying though but I just don't think that if you break the sound barrier once your not gonna break it every time you punch

The Yu vs Aaron thing is the same, Aaron previously "broke the sound barrier' by creating vibrations in air
You would actually need the speed to be mentioned there as well or some blatant direct statement that they were going all out, and even then I'd be super ******* hesitant because of all the other prior conditions I mentioned, plus the proximity of the feat has to be very, very close to the statement.

You would actually need the speed to be mentioned there as well or some blatant direct statement that they were going all out, and even then I'd be super ******* hesitant because of all the other prior conditions I mentioned, plus the proximity of the feat has to be very, very close to the statement.
I cant tell if you agree or disagree with me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back