• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Concerning Categories

Professor_Voodoo

Joke Battles
Administrator
While this wiki is lenient towards nonsensical/large amounts of categories, I've been noticing a small but possible growing trend involving characters with tens of thousands of categories, which is needless for the most part, and only serves to make pages load a lot slower (which can be a nightmare for those with slower connections, old DSL, dial up internet, etc...) and thus is more detrimental then beneficial. I would like it if we keep the categories at a stable number, say...no more than 100. It's not an official rule, but i would like for everyone to try and follow this, so pages don't take forever to load, and everyone can enjoy the wiki, regardless of internet speed.

I agree with you, Voodoo. And I'd appreciate if people try to somewhat ease it on the category spam. At least so that the page isn't lagging like crazy.

So... does it apply only to future pages or will we have to edit every existing page ?

Also 1000 would be a better limit imo because 100 is extremely quickly reached but what do i know

I'd believe just stop spamming future pages, and reduce the spam on pages only if you come across ones with too much.

Personally I'd say it's better to do case by case and use a bit common sense when determining what's too much.

IMO, 100 is too little but 1000 is too much. But I dunno.

Ryukama said:
I'd believe just stop spamming future pages, and reduce the spam on pages only if you come across ones with too much.
Personally I'd say it's better to do case by case and use a bit common sense when determining what's too much.

IMO, 100 is too little but 1000 is too much. But I dunno.
500?

Maybe like 300 or something. It really depends on how it effects the page case by case. I'm fine with whatever Voodoo suggests as well.

That page has insane lag for me. I'm going to have to remove it. Sorry.

@Juggerton Yes. So I removed it.

"I know this site is lenient with spam, but over 35,000 categories is too much even for us. Also due to how hard it is for staff to visit this page due to sheer lag, it makes it vulnerable to rule breaks we can't stop."

Nyeh 250 maybe? Obviously the category count can be a little higher if the categories are mostly short words.

@Voodoo 250-300 sounds good. Maybe a bit more if the categories are shorter like you said.

I also want to add, that certain important categories (such as Categories and Important Categories) shouldn't be added to certain profile pages or categories indiscriminately. Again, it's not a rule, but I would like to keep these categories as they should be.

Back