• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Creating a crater on the ground

Ugarik

VS Battles
Calculation Group
This is pretty straight forward. Why do we use pulverization of rock value for such feats? Where is no way some soil can be as hard as pure rock.

I think found the table we can take destruction values from:

Fragmentation: (shear strength of meduim clay)

0.05 - 0.1 J/cm^3

Pulverization:
(compressive strength of hard soil)

0.4 - 1 J/cm^3

Moved this to Calc Group discussion since it is more relevant there.

Think it could work? Not sure of the legitimacy.

Also frag should vary from 0.05 to 0.4 J/cc based on the document.

The best way to confirm this is to look into other sources; if they possesses values of the same range then we can asure is legit.

Right.

Also, for most craters they are in stone- urban settings or rocky terrains or such like. This would be used... rarely. Still nice to get a value though.

I now I just misspelled it. Anyway those values should be correct because they close enough to each other

I found 2 more stuides (one of them in Russian) with exacly the same results. Apparently those values are the most common.

Bandicam 2019-01-22 21-55-58-101
Soil dura

Seems consistent enough to me then. This and the values for wood should be added to the Calculations page.

Most sourses say that the shear strength of soil is about 150 kPa (0.15 J/cm^3). That's stiff clay value from the first document. Also the Russian source I took a table above says that the shear strength of soil is about 1/3 of its compressive strength which is also close enouth.

So:

Fragmentation: 0.15 J/cm^3

V. Fragmentation: 0.15-0.2 J/cm^3

Pulverization: 0.4 - 1 J/cm^3

Should probably just leave V. Frag as 0.2 J/cm^3 since it should be higher than Frag, other than that, looks good.

I kind of thought of dirt as rock that's already pulverized for feats like these, but this does make sense to me as well. Dirt clots do fragmentize very easily yes.

Another thing to consider is that for massive bits of land, there's still plenty of rock. It's not 100% rock of course, in fact, it's as small as 45%. Still, worth considering. That, and water content for Vaporization feats.

Where did you get 45% from? But I can agree that we shouldn't use those values for massive crators

DMUA said:
This is not how it works. Even if soil is 45% rock particles its total compresive strength is still 0.4 - 1 MPa. It can't be split into "rock" and "not rock".

Ah. I see.

Still, it would come into play as per Vaporization calcs

.... I'll be ugh

Going to downgrade SAO Tabletop now

Just to be clear, using water and rock content would be okay in cases of vaporization, right?

Actually, now that I think about it, we should probably assemble calcs to fix.

Just off the top of my head, this

Ehhh on that scale, no. Dirt generally doesn't go that deep into the ground.

Back