• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Creepypasta, the SCP foundation, and memetic characters?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Continued from the following thread, since it turned unmanageable for the staff, and it concerns an important issues for the wiki as a whole:

https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/503189

Basically, where should we draw the line for fan characters with limited or no actual storylines featuring them, such as those from Creepypasta or the SCP foundation?

Should we not allow any of them, as they should be counted more as memes than as fully realised notable characters, or allow some, but not all, of them?

I'm not an expert on any of those three things, but here's my take.

As we all know, we should only take characters that are fully realized, notable, and continuous with logical reasoning behind their stats.

Creepypasta and Memetic characters are constantly changing with users being able to add whatever stories they like as it's virtually on the public domain, meaning that it's impossible to establish a continuity outside of the original post. Furthermore, the fact that there's so many different authors makes it practical fan-fiction since there's no one authority on the work.

The SCP Foundation seems to have at least some continuity given the other Staff's work on it, but I don't know enough to say for certain.

So in short, I'm against Creepypasta and Memetic Characters, but I'm okay with the SCP Foundation unless someone says otherwise.

Welp, I have disagreed with memetics characters before, I could disagree with creepypasta characters too since are basically featless and their stories were made just for scare "innocent' people. Also, isn't SCP foundation basically fanfiction made by an entire fandom? I think that they still can create more of them

Okay. Thank you for the input.

The SCP Foundation has Standards. You need to apply to be a writer for them, and your stories need to be approved.

It is not like Creepypasta where anyone can add what they feel to the original story, and whose very nature as something you Copy-Paste means that it is constantly being revised, tweaked and expanded. It works very much like untreacable folklore or Urban Legends. It has no real canon.

I am firmly against Creepypasta characters being in this wiki. We have enough as is.

Antoniofer said:
Also, isn't SCP foundation basically fanfiction made by an entire fandom? I think that they still can create more of them
The people who created SCP Foundation have extremely strict guidelines as to how SCP articles are made, what is and isnt allowed, and if they do not fit into the continuity of the verse it will be deleted. They dont allow just anyone to make them either, at this point there are only a few people that have been around for a long time and have experience writing dozens of articles that can get their work published. Plus, like Azzy said on the previous thread, we only allow SCPs that have been around for a long time and are well known in the community on here.

I see; welp, doesn't seems like SCP have any issue since it has a continuity, but still against Creepypasta and Memes.

Hmmm, from what I'm seeing, it looks like SCP should be allowed.

I'm inconclusive for the other forms of media, as having a Pepe The Frog page sounds more like something for Joke Battles and etc.

I guess we can make an exception for some, like Slenderman who went "official".

Methinks it's all down to it having a significant amount of story, or at least is part of one that is for the most part, original.

Red vs Blue is a parody of Halo, but it made itself its own with a self-supporting storyline (self-supporting in that it doesn't need any knowledge of the source material) that it very much deviates and/or ignores the original's.

I have no knowledge of the SCP foundation, but creepypasta is a no-no for me as from what I've read, the stories there fall under either:

>a simple horror story with no aim beyond presenting something akin to a horror story

>parodies that stay as parodies (e.g. any "lost episode")

>rumors that blew out of proportion and developed its own horror story

Now, some creepypastas, like that of Slenderman got its own adaptation that is as I said, self-supporting, via its own game so they get a pass to me.

That's my opinion on it.

TL;DR

>Self-supporting story

>Part of a significant amount of story

Personally i'm neutral on the matter of Creepypastas, but I do agree that their lack of a true canon due to how literally anyone can write a story about them would create a huge problem and would make them very difficult to fit into our system.

Characters that are just straight up memes though i agree should definitely not be here.

Thanks to everybody for their input.

Do you think that it would be a good idea to expand upon our guidelines for what kind of characters that are not allowed in this wiki, and if so, do you have suggestions for how we should word it?

I'd think it's a good idea but the vagueness of it all (the line between actual stories and meme stories) is just difficult.

I have no ideas for this beyond what I already posted, sorry.

@Ant Perhaps we could add something along the lines of a quality control check? like some sort of authority figure of the series who approves of the work? Someone can probably word that better then me.

I am both against the SCP Foundation and Creepypasta. While SCP Foundation might have more QC, it ultimately also is composed of random writers for the series who actually don't quite adhere to standards. Yes, if it is poorly written, or too over the top, it would get deleted, but there really is no approval or disapproval to certain details of the entries, so it also falls into the 'Random Writer' category.

Do away with both.

I agree that the SCP Foundation pages should remain, due to its continuity and quality control. Creepypasta without a central canon shouldn't be allowed, but individual interpretations of creepypasta (such as the Operator, which is distinct from other interpretations of Slender Man and has its own continuity) should be fine.

No Memes, SCP is regulated so their fine, Creepypasta should be limited to notable ones such as Slenderman who for example has gotten so popular that they are making a movie of him.

Also while people change bits and pieces of Creepypasta most of the core story is the same.

What characters fall under the "memetic category"?

Chuck Norris/Segata Sanshiro or things like that?

Yes. That is correct. Basically characters without a popular self-contained story that they take part in.

I'm with SCP remaining for reasons already stated.

On the subject of Creepypastas, I'm neutral, pretty much for what WeeklyBattles stated, though I could agree with Prom's reasoning, but I'm unsure.

Meme characters should straight-up not be allowed.

SCP I support.

Creepypastas, I'm against for the most part but I believe some notable exceptions could be be made for examples such as what Prom and Azzy brought up. If most agree not to allow Creepypastas at all though, I'll be fine with it.

Memes I am entirely against, and Joke Battles is definitely where they should go.

Ryukama said:
SCP I support.
Creepypastas, I'm against for the most part but I believe some notable exceptions could be be made for examples such as what Prom and Azzy brought up. If most agree not to allow Creepypastas at all though, I'll be fine with it.

Memes I am entirely against, and Joke Battles is definitely where they should go.
I support what Ryu said. Especially the part where he supports what I supported earlier. I support Ryu supporting my support.

On a serious note, I've already made my opinions clear.

I'm fine with SCPs as they have a strict regulation guide so it's not like anyone could put random things.

Creepypastas should have a regulation that they should go through, they must be noticable and have actual sources to use that aren't faade. in the case of slender man who has his own games and movie, same with creatures like the rake should probably be allowed. However finding their original origin story and continuity might be difficult so I'm cool with them being here but if you guys aren't, that's fine as well.

Memes are for sure not allowed here, ryu has a whole wiki dedicated for that. Characters like john cena or joke chuck Norris shouldn't be allowed IMHO.

SCP is okay, it requires an acceptance form to be added and is a self-contained thing. It's no different than DC Comics if DC has slightly looser standards.

Memes are jokes and should go on Joke Battles.

Creepypastas are slightly different but not very much. Characters like Jeff the Killer may have many stories about them, but only stories written by the original author should be considered canon as that is the most popular one. This is what we'd use for most creepypastas. Slenderman would be a bit different though, as he is far far more popular.

Slenderman, in his original form, doesn't actually have any feats. However there is a (semi-consistent) "Slender Mythos" that consists of the most popular Slender-related series (Marble Hornets/EverymanHybrid). Therefore only feats from those would really count, meanwhile some random fanfic online would not.

tl;dr

SCP is fine

Creepypasta should stay with the original story/stories by the original author alone

Slenderman would have different keys for the slightly different but very popular continuities he's in and those continuities alone

@Lord

On the subject of Creepypastas, even with how they work, characters like Slenderman aren't actually open to the public doman, so it actually does have a defined canon, if I recall correctly.

Here is our current regulation regarding this sort of thing:

"Do not create any joke profiles, as they do not fit into our tiering system. Also avoid creating profiles for fan characters, advertisement characters, YouTube personalities, music videos, memes, and the like. If you wish to create such profiles, feel free to do so in the Joke Battles wiki instead."

Should it be modified, and if so, how?

Hop shares this idea.

Keep the SCP Foundation and verse. It is solid, far more active and organized, as well as given at least a soft canon. That is to say there are known givens and very few contradictions or other forms of false or illogical information. That is not to say all of the pages there are ideal for this wiki and it's purposes, regardless of how interesting and unique they are. Such as temporal or event SCPs.

Hop agrees with everyone else's stances against creepypastas, horror-fictions, and other public domain creations, as well as non notable ones. There should be few exceptions. For instance, things like the Jersey Devil can roughly be made, however Slenderman and the like are far too absract and paranormal to be indexed or understood.

@hop aren't things like the slenderman and jersey devil more cryptic creatures rather than creepy pastas? The legend of the jersey devil is older than the internet itself so it being here wouldn't be an issue.

@Grudgeman

Jersey Devil would be classified as folklore, popular folklore at that. Since we have a page on the Mothma, I don't see why we can't have other Folklore entities.

Slenderman is kind of pushing it though. A specific Slenderman per notable incarnations like Marble Hornets or the original source might be fine, though.

Slenderman seems more like a popular meme than an established mythological character.

More of an urban legend that spread through the internet than anything

Back