• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Creepypasta- Urban Legend or Fan Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright.

"Obscurity". These characters I'm proposing aren't obscure- yes, Ant, each one I'd even consider throwing on here would have millions of fans and people who know of it. Red is incredibly famous, as said, with Godzilla fans and Creepypasta fans alike (as is Solomon). The same applies to Zalgo, Slenderman and, sadly, Jeff the Killer.

@Azzy: Yes, that is similar to the Creepypasta idea- admins on the Creepypasta websites are required to stick to a certain amount of quality control before allowing a story to exist. Furthermore, these are ONLY characters with a huge following- not EVERY Creepypasta, as that would be ridiculous. Going back to the example of what I've already added, Red is, as said, recognized by millions of fans and is inside of a video game (apparently that was the same argument used for SCPs?)

@Ant: Creepypastas =/= fan characters, first off. Second off, these are characters with established storyline (I'm safely assuming you have never read any of the things I'm suggesting so I guess you have no way of knowing this, so that's fine). yes, you can argue "stupid memes shouldnt be on here" but these are literally MORE than that. Just arguing that all Creepypasta is incoherent crap with nothing interesting to add is absolutely beyond biased. These are written works meant for horror- just because you've fallen into the popular belief that it's all trash based on the twelve year old writing community has led you to believe does not mean you should disregard the works that took actual effort and creative concepts- again, I'll use Red as an example: the man who made that Creepypasta is an actual game developer himself and literally created a game for the Pasta (I believe there is an SCP with the same premise) and used screenshots from the game to lead his story along. In fact, on his deviantArt page he makes regularly more and more Kaiju concepts for these games he creates. So, what I'm saying is, these are more than the memes you'd like to downgrade them to; they're characters, like everyone else. You seem to hinge your argument on the fact that these characters have no storyline and make no notable appearances elsewhere. Here's a list of easily found places with these characters:

RED:

http://kaijucombat.com/community/index.php- Hosted by Sunstone Games, Red is the most popular character in this game.

SLENDERMAN:

http://slendergame.com/download.php- A small community built around the first Slender game

http://slenderarrival.com/- Created by Blue Isle studios, arguably the most popular Slender game (literally there are hundreds more)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3317158/- Slender, the Movie. Poorly received, however, but it DID make a movie, a feat that most game characters will never achieve.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5690360/- ... Not to mention YET ANOTHER upcoming movie.

EDIT: Not to mention, of course, his appearance in the popular GMod game with his own gamemode that, once again, is world famous. Stop It Slender can be downloaded with the game~

THE RAKE:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5226192/- Oh look, another one made it to the movies.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/386880/- And Steam, apparently, in a game notable enough that many huge-following YouTubers have played on multiple occasions (since that's pretty much the way of telling how good a game is; also, this game has a fairly high rating)

CANDLE COVE:

http://www.syfy.com/channelzero- Here's a TV show (apparently a popular one) based on the Creepypasta known as "Candle Cove"

JEFF THE KILLER:

Alright, I'm only adding this because others seem to want him, too. He has a huge following but I don't really care for this guy, his story is somewhat lackadaisical. Anyways, here are just a few games for Jeff:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.INeedPlay.JeffTheKiller&hl=e

http://www.kongregate.com/games/lenke/jeff-the-killer

http://gamejolt.com/games/let-s-kill-jeff-the-killer-the-asylum/44955

http://www.sploder.com/games/members/ekmema/play/jeff-the-killer-creepypasta/

(So on and so forth, he doesn't have anything hugely amazing but there are tons of fan games for him; I'd argue he's nearly as popular as Slender but this one I'll admit is uh... pretty... lacking.)

Anyways, you see where I'm going with this. SCPs are HUGELY recognized, and so are Creepypastas. Arguing that these guys have no lore is... wrong. Entirely. So, Ant, I believe you are wrong; these are characters. Not memes.

@ApexPredator: You are correct, and that would be my argument for Red being on this wiki. He is inside of a game and has an established storyline based on his Creepypasta (that being his backstory).

@Ryukama: These aren't joke characters. Classifying them as such is wrong, too. They all have lengthy origins and concepts behind them; the fact that people don't like them on this wiki makes no difference. Like it or not, these characters exist and have origins, one way or the other. For that matter, you accept Barbarians on here from Clash of Clans with no storyline whatsoever (they never even speak for God's sakes), Mighty Eagle, etc, but won't accept these characters with history and storyline established far beyond what these characters are even capable of?

@WeeklyBattles: I'd like a strict guideline on this. I don't want every Creepypasta on here. I just want the ones that actually deserve to have a profile because... well, they're typically used for this sort of thing. Slender especially.

Anyways, TL:DR, banning Creepypastas is, just in this pain-in-your-asses opinion, either bias or under-informed.

Darkmon, defining them as memes is not the entirety of the issue. The issue is referring to them simply as memes and not characters, which they are.

Well, I suppose that they may be acceptable, although you should watch your tone a bit.

Anyway, what do you think Azathoth?

I am still against Creepypastas, even with it stick to the "Canon" by the original authors. They are very arbitrary and most often than not, meme-characters. It's not comparable to Webcomics, SCP or RWBY.

I can confirm some creepy pasta are kinda notable in like 2012 all people could do was talk about slenderman to the point where I think hes getting a movie now.

Jeff the killer also fits the same description but to slightly lesser degree.

If we are going to do Creepypasta profiles, we need a strict set of rules.

1. 1 Don't use random storylines from Creepypasta Wikia
  1. 2 Use only notable characters such as Slender or Jeff the Killer
  1. 3 Use only original stories by the original author
  1. 4 Things such as webcomics, animations and whatnot based on the character do not apply, ever.

SomebodyData said:
@Dark "So?"
As in, because of no official recognition or established canon, the fanfic of the original idea or series can easily be confused as canon. Furthermore, the profiles would generally be devoid of any real or notable information.

@Mr.Bambu You don't say? And there's no offical canon?

Note: I'm currently still against having SCPs here. And the information you're bringing into light is making me believe that SCPS shouldn't be here even more
there is the creepypasta wiki

Mr. Bambu said:
For the ones saying these guys have no established storyline:
Here.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/bogleech/index.php?showtopic=1896

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/NES_Godzilla_Creepypasta
(without all the randomness in between)

This is ONE CHARACTER mind you. This is the guy I tried uploading, combined with his Video Game tidbits.

If you want to contact the writer... here you go:

http://cosbydaf.deviantart.com
Seems fine.... but still believe is better create a CKC verse.

But if Red is accepted in Mythology then is fine too.

I disagree with having Creepypasta on this website. I also disagree with the SCP entries as well.

-RED's original Creepypasta: 954 words 5,149 characters (Only in the first chapter, I'm not going to copy everything to put in the word counter, because it's too big).

-NoEnd House: 5,271 words 26,712 characters.

-Mr. Widemouth: 1,735 words 9,068 characters.

-String Theory: 1,632 words 8,808 characters

-Smile Dog's original Creepypasta: 2,162 words 11,905 characters

And those are just the ones I remembered right now. Yeah, Creepypastas have no backstories at all.

RED is definitely not coming due to technically coming from a fan-fic, though I'm not sure what you're trying to prove @Paulo

Someone said Creepypastas have no backstories and are just character profiles, I just listed some Creepypastas with backstories, and those are only the ones I remembered right now, Creepypastas have storylines.

RED can come in his Kaiju Combat incarnation, as he is canon to that game. With the exact same backstory. Literally. Of course, with that form he coems with a bit more techniques and such but uh... same deal.

>Exact same backstory.

You mean the one with Godzilla right? Thats why we can't accept him, as its technically fan fic.

This game is an official game, yes? Sold for cash, notably on Steam?

Right, well, what that means is Red is no longer fan fiction. That means the creators of the game paid for rights to use said story for their game. They paid for the rights to have Godzilla and all the other nice kaiju for his story. Red is NOT fan fiction anymore.

So, as I could understand: RED started as a fanfic, but this franchise now uses him as canon, but they keep the same backstory, so, he's technically canon and fanon at the same time, it's some kind of paradox, that's interesting.

The way I see it, he's rags to riches: Started as a fanon, became canon. He is officially part of their stories now. It's unfair to call him just another FC.

Red himself is fan fiction, heck his roots are literally from fan fiction.

The "Shadow of Red" can still be added, just that no scaling can be done with his background and neither can it be done with the game since its also technically non-canon/crossover.

SomebodyData said:
Red himself is fan fiction, heck his roots are literally from fan fiction.
The "Shadow of Red" can still be added, just that no scaling can be done with his background and neither can it be done with the game since its also technically non-canon.
but his backround is canon to the game

No, actually. Technically it IS canon. That is how the law works. To mention (insert whatever here) in your (insert whatever here), and especially to make profit off of that, you need to okay it with the creators of the original thing being mentioned, meaning it becomes canon to them and they agreed, likely followed by a large sum of money being paid. That is why using music in even short movies costs 5,000$. Can't let that creativity go unpunished.

So. I'm fine with calling it "Shadow of Red" if that suits you, but you are wrong. Red is canon by technicality.

If his background is canon to the game, then it becomes a fan game.

Mr.Bambu thats not how canon works. Else basically everything would be canon for all fiction.

SomebodyData said:
If his background is canon to the game, then it becomes a fan game.
Mr.Bambu thats not how canon works. Else basically everything would be canon for all fiction.
its an offishl game last I checed you cant call it a fan game becuase they disided to make a estremly pupuler fan thing canon.

Of course, this is still under the assumption that the game even has a story mode or something like that.

Shadow of Red's origin, according tho Kaiju Combat Wiki:

"Of the many horrors emerging from the depths of Zenith, Red was by far the most powerful, and the worst. His insatiable appetite for pain - even the pain of other demons, led to a great battle between Red and his siblings, especially the demonic Solomon. Red and Solomon's titanic clash was so powerful that it scattered their essences - manifesting shadows of them across time and dimensions. These lifeless shades play out the ancient conflict between these two combatants over and over, in different ways and formats. Our star has attracted one Shadow of the residual energy left by Red and Solomon's battle, which has come nearest to our world has assumed a fully physical form. This means it can be fought and defeated by other physical beings. But Red's malignancy will echo on, even if the Shadow of Red were to be defeated and removed from our space."

No mention of Godzilla.

No, Somebody, it really doesn't make it a fan game. It becomes something like a subsidiary of the original, an extension. Why? Because the original has recognized it enough to allow that to happen and for them to make profit off of the game.

I don't know what you have against these characters, chances are I never will (I never understood the whole gang up on pasta boat). But like it or not, these characters have creeped in (see what I did there?) and are now rooted in whatever they were originally there for to begin with. Slender, Red, Zalgo, and sadly Jeff the Killer, too. Red is recognized by the creators of Godzilla and have accepted his backstory and allowed it to make profit. End of story.

Writing a backstory for a character is not the same thing as featuring it in an official popular self-contained storyline.

Antvasima said:
Writing a backstory for a character is not the same thing as featuring it in an official popular self-contained storyline.
But in this case that did happen. The game's origin for Red refers back to his final battle with Solomon and the destruction of the two of them thereafter; this essentially makes for Red's creepypasta as a sort of prelude to the game.

Red is no longer a fan character. He hasn't been since Toho or whoever owned the rights to Godzilla at the time said he wasn't and was now canon.

Mr. Bambu said:
Red is no longer a fan character. He hasn't been since Toho or whoever owned the rights to Godzilla at the time said he wasn't and was now canon.
Agree, the franchise was created by Simon Strange (the director and creator of Godzilla Atary Trilogy)

There is also Nemesis on this game, Nemesis has 5 Official Books and was created by Jeremy Robinson, he send the rights for nemesis and other kaijus from the saga to the game,

Same with Red, he was bought along with Solomon to be in the game.

All people involved in this game, are well-know writers and comic artist as Matt Frank(IDW Godzilla Ongoing series) in Kaiju related things.

Precisely. The game is created by a Godzilla affiliate, characters were bought to be included in the game (along with all of their "lack of origin meme-ness" origins), etc etc. It is literally impossible to refer to Red as an FC when he is now simply a minor character in the Godzilla verse that originated in Urban Mythology.

All people involved in this game, are well-know in their own Kaiju related franchises.

director Simon Strange creator of CKC franchise and Director from Official Licensed Godzilla videogames

writers as Jeremy Robinson (Nemesis Saga composed by 5 books)

and comic artist as Matt Frank (IDW Godzilla, MLP, and Transformers Ongoing series).

and There are more...

Given that this thread is rapidly turning unmanageable, and concerns a very important topic, with wider implications for the wiki as a whole, I am closing it, and starting a staff only thread instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back