• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Death and Undeath play a game of chess

Death (Discworld) vs Larloch

You heard it, now let’s go into the details:

The moderator is Archchancellor Ridcully.

The moderator cannot be killed or psychically manipulated by any of the contestants.

The match has the same rules as the Chess Olympiad and contestants can also be disqualified for violating Neverwinter law.

Speed is equalised.

Death is told what the horse does pre-match.

Who wins and why?

Larloch: 2
Death:
Inconclusive:

Last edited:
I'll probably just decide to debate for Larloch since, while I like both, not a soul will debate for Larloch.

Bear in mind I don't follow Chess at all, so the word "Chess Olympiad" means nothing to me.

Larloch is likely to abide by the rules, so I don't think actual cheating will occur, if out of nothing more than respect between two individuals such as themselves. On Larloch's end, at least, I don't see this as likely.

The main thing in Larloch's favor, I feel, is practicality. While he isn't nearly omniscient like Death is, he can focus his impressive intelligence enough, whereas Death famously has gaps in what he can actually realistically apply. I have no doubt Larloch's ability to rationalize the game of Chess alone will be of use to him, since Death doesn't really get it.

If we really need to delve into the more supernatural (as the mere usage of magic in such a game isn't actually prohibited, nor is it prohibited by the chess rules mentioned above) then Larloch can pull some rather funny tricks, I think, particularly regarding illusions making the game even more esoteric for Death to understand. Something like casting Blur or Displacement on the pieces to outright make it impossible to decipher the actual position of the pieces, placing curses on Death just to **** up his reasoning, or even just using wish.

I should note that Larloch's intelligence is high enough to grant him effective precognition so he realistically is seeing many, many moves ahead.

Back